Question on the Ultra

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Mr GreenJeans, Jul 25, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Mr GreenJeans

I'm thinking about booking a 1.5 day trip on the Ultra next weekend, which I see is now at Fisherman's Landing. I don't remember seeing them at that landing before, and I think they were previously based out of Newport. A couple of questions come to mind. Is the move to San Diego new for them, or do they come down every summer? Is the skipper (Brian Blair) experienced in fishing the waters of SD and points further south, or is his knowledge based pretty much around Newport, Catalina, and perhaps SCI? (I checked their reports from last year, and sizable portion of their reports were 3/4 day trips to Catalina.) Obviously, my concern is that if the skipper doesn't know the local waters of SD, he may not be able to put us onto the fish.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Tues

They moved down south for the off shore action...less windshield time from Diego than Newport...book the trip...
  3. South Bend

I wouldn't worry about Brian Blair finding fish.:)
  4. Rubberhook2

This is the first year Brian has taken his boat to San Diego. He fished the same areas as the San Diego fleet last season but with increased travel times. Frank LoPreste put the full court press on Brian to bring the Ultra to Fishermans Landing to fill a smaller boat ultra limited load niche at the Fred Hall show this past March.

I would not hesitate to book an offshore trip with Brian from San Diego. In fact, I believe he is running an open party 1 1/2 day next Friday the 31st for $375. I may be on that one myself...
  5. Mr GreenJeans

I booked it. Hope to see you there. Thanks for the replies.
  6. mc08066

I would book it without a problem and then share your experience. Don't be surprised to see the action close to our waters very shortly.
  7. Frogznlogz

I just booked it as well, before reading this post or anything else on the Ultra. Glad to see people speaking favorably about the boat / captain. The 9 person max load size seemed like a big plus- shouldn't have to worry too much about being able to snag everyone's line ( maybe I can get them all at once! ) :rofl:

All joking aside, should be a great trip. I've never caught Dorado before and they seem to be "on the menu" along with lots of YT and some Tuner fish. Will have to check the boards for tackle setups / tips for them.
  8. Frogznlogz

Oh, by the way, at time of posting this there are only 2 spots left. Get 'em while they are still available - the last open party trip they had listed sold out Reel quick.

Update:
    Someone posted a great report today on their Ultra trip this weekend. And there was a guy that wrapped up everyone and sawed off their fish! Looks like I have competion out there....

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/of...-fishermans-landing-1-5-day-july-24-26-a.html
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009