Port Aransas Reds

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing' started by TROB, May 19, 2007.

Share This Page

1. TROB

[​IMG]

drove down from Austin last night fished this morning for a couple hours, ended up with 11-14 reds, and one speck...plastics and fresh dead perch. will be here til tuesday.
    • Port Aransas Reds-resize 2.jpg
    • Port Aransas Reds-resized.jpg
  2. la vida

Nice going on the reds
  3. coryellk

Nice report. I miss wade fishing for redfish and speckled trout. It's hard for SoCal anglers to understand just how much water access is in Texas. Hundreds of miles of shallow intercoastal bays, and sandy grass flats full of shrimp and every game fish that eats them. One can fish for 12 hours straight and never see another human being!
  4. dewers@race505.

Love fishing for reds and specs, going to POC later this summer for a week for some great wade fishin
  5. squirtis

Sweet...

If ya seem some crazy bastard on a cycle that looks like the marlboro man looking for trouble,.... say hello to my dad for me would ya, he lives in Aransas PassLOL LOL LOL

Can't think of the name of the area, but head NE from the main causeway leaving aransas pass for port aransas about a mile on the mainland side, really good area to drift fish em;

Also near the ferries area is an old lighthouse, and I mean old....about 1/4 mile away from it to the north is a nice hole about 20 feet deep with very shollow quick sides..another great spot for trout and reds, plus your right near the deep channel and this time of year there is no telling what will blast in through there, crap I have seen 8 foot hammerheads chasin chit in ther before....

Have fun man...and tell Marcus Squirtis says what up!!
  6. TROB

yea we stayed at the Days Inn in AP. but the mom's neighbors showed up and now we're at port royal.....kinda yuppie to me...
  7. Pope

I will be up the coast a bit from you tearing them up on the flats over Memorial Day weekend. I doubt the crowds will be as light as what you are talking about, but I hope to triple your catch by the time I brake for lunch! What colors were you throwing?
  8. TROB

fresh dead and that purple chartreuse with a lead head
  9. reelnaclt

Gatta agree!! Galveston, Freeport, Matagorda, Rock Port, etc. Miss this abundant fishery. Seafood gumbo, stuffed flounder, fresh shucked oysters (with beer), blue crab and shrimp boil. enjoyed the report.

10. coryellk

Across the street from the Port Royal is the huge blue water tower to the island. Park under that, walk west (towards Corpus) through a third mile of grass and VERY shallow flats to Shamrock Flats. Its an often overlooked and rarely wade-fished flat with deep interlocking channels (some unknown defunct housing scheme) that hold fish no matter what time of the year. I have slayed a thousand trout and a couple hundred reds in that flat (using Corkies and chartreuse jigs with pumpkinseed/chart swim tails). It's probably about a half dozen square miles of fishing.
  11. Sluester

Never fished for those but it looks like a blast!
  12. Pope

This new state record bull shark was landed in the same bay you were fishing last weekend. Big dangerous fish in shallow water. She was 513lbs.
    • Port Aransas Reds-CARISFZL.jpg
  13. TROB

......................hmm im kinda re-thinking that wade fishing technique
  14. captamb1

Thats some good fishing there my home town Port A.
  15. coryellk

I've logged a thousand hours (half at night under a moon) in Shamrock Flats, Estes Flats, Bird Island Basin, Coyote Island, and Rocky Slough and only once HEARD of a small blacktip that hit a topwater (talk about fun).

That bull was probably caught near a ship channel, land cut, or more than likely on the Gulf side... Those things are killers though. They don't think twice about eating humans.
  16. Pope

There are a lot of bull sharks in the bay. We have caught lots of them on the bay side of St. Joe. You would be surprised how many are in the bays. They come in every spring to pup and stay through the summer. West Matagorda Bay is much worse. I have personally had two bull sharks come up to my stringers, one in Aransas Bay and one near Cotton's in West Matty.

This shark was caught in Aransas Bay and set the water body record for the bay and the state. The guys were fishing in a 17 foot Kenner drifting in 6 feet of water and were specifically fishing for bull sharks.