Pistol Mag question

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fresh One, May 4, 2009.

1. Fresh One

I bought a Sig Sauer P226 before the state of CA went psycho. It came with two 15 round mags and I bought a 17 round after market mag for it.

What is the law as far as having them in my possession. For example, if I go to an indoor shooting range and use them, am I technically in violation?

Thanks.
  2. Papa "J"

I beleive since you purchased and owned the pistol and magazines you are granfathered in. That's what I remember when the law came into effect. If it has changed since then I am not sure.
  3. Ali Admin

See above. This is how I understand it as well.

I have a few 9's and 40's that are the same. I have taken the big clips to the range without issue.
  4. gpomplin

you are good
  5. BluefinCurly

6. Mono Malo

Brent,
    from CA DOJ

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.
    (PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

Ali,
    It's not a clip, it's a magazine. A clip is a specific device, that while similar, it is definitely not the same. A magazine is a container in which ammunition is stored, whilst a clip is a small piece of metal which holds rounds in place whilst outside the magazine, and sometimes within the magazine as well.
  7. hamachi51

After all the hoopla, all new magazines that held more than ten rounds had to be stamped "law enforcement or military use only." They still sold those in some states without restriction. If your magazine has that stamp and you are in California, you have issues.
  8. Jerky

You are good at a range or shooting on private property. But I was told that having your legal (owned before the ban)high cap. magazines with you when you are shooting on public land is a NO NO. If you are on BLM land the BLM officers will take them and/or give you a cit. for having them with you. So if you go out to the hills to go shooting bring some 10rounders with you for that. Dont blast me guys for posting this please. The BLM officers enforce state laws also and I guess there is a law out there for this.