Pick surface irons that swim

Discussion in 'Fishing Tutorials by Members' started by white box121, Oct 3, 2011.

1. white box121

2. saltwaterfish

thx for ur video
  3. Maniniboy

awesome video! it was very informative and helpful..
  4. medunn16

Who was filming that,Matt?:D

Good stuff.
  5. poncherello

Good video, but I have a question regarding tying the line on the ring. In minute 7 he says to tie the knot on the weld to avoid the weld going inside the hole of the jig.

My concern of tying the knot on the weld is that most welds on the ring are very porous. My belief is, its like putting sandpaper on the line and risk chafing the line especially if a good pulling fish is on the jig.

Wanted to see what you other jig fisherman think about this.
  6. white box121

I Dont always tie to the weld, mostly under or above it, but when I do tie to the weld, I never lost a jig. I figured what the hell, I'm fishing 50lb and I retie after every fish. I will post a caption in the video though.
  7. california2

Great video. you should make one showing people of how a jig should swim.
  8. South Bend

I like it!

BTW-Does Ed know you guys were messing with all his jigs.:D:D
  9. medunn16

Ed who?
  10. here'smymule

Thank you for making the video and for setting this up as an ongoing discussion. Earlier this year there was chat in response to "What iron swims best?" on the classified page. Some of my friends thought my post were hilarious. I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to jigs and jig fishing. I take the matter seriously. And your video whether you know it or not was an indictment.
    You illustrated what I have said for years. Proof positive and beyond a shadow of a doubt; the vast majority of jigs are defective merchandise. What did you pick out of a row of six or eight. one? What kind of horse poop is that? Imagine if that were the case with other types of terminal tackle or with rods, reels and line? Can you imagine the uproar? Yet, retailers sell the stuff knowing full well that when novice buys that first lure there had better be a very hungry school of Barracuda around when he throws it. Otherwise, nothing but frustration. You had the luxury of being able to sort though and make a choice. What do you think Ed or any other retailer is going to do when everybody sorts, not just the "hot sticks." They won't allow that. And at a landing- you take what they give you from behind the counter. This has got to stop.
    I'll post more. Again, thanks for getting this going. I'm off to see KingTut.Taking him X5 jigs to trade; collectables for jigs that swim.
  11. white box121

They hate the shit out of me at the landing, Everytime i get off the boat, i take a stash of my tip money and run into the store, instead of saying 'can i have a 7x please?' i say 'can i see whole stack of 7x's, yea im serious, just bring me down the whole stack, did i fucking stutter?' out of 10, ill find maybe 2 or 3 that i like and out of the 2 or 3 that i like i still look very close and end up with 1.
  12. ibdfishkiller

Kev great video thanx for that. Are you going to be working the deck on the Nov 2nd Baja fish gear 10 day.
  13. here'smymule

Now we are getting somewhere!
    There are a few things about the video, not bad, but there are a few things that need to be sorted out:
    First thing: 544's work. They seem to pretty much O K from the get go. I've been to the lawnmower shop. Cameron MacCloud over at L. A. Harbor loves them. Larry F. won't use them and he gets them for free.
    Second thing: Pep Jigs have made a return after a 35 year hiatus. Sure Dick Ackers made use of the shape of the Pep 5 and 6 shapes to great success with the 5 and not so much with the 6. These jigs are from the original Pep molds made by Earl Pace. "Back in the day" the 3 was the go to jig. I worked for Barney and Eddie Barnes on the Special. They had financed his business,but he was consumed with other problems and by early '72 only the 3 was any where to be found. When they were made in the late 60's to early 70's they had a loyal, almost cult, following. So, the jury is out. Also, it is curious that both the Pep and the 544 depend upon the cut body for the action.
    Third thing: I can't imagine you're going to be greeted over a Chemko st. with open arms.You pointed out major problems with inconsistent shape, poor hole drilling & placement, and defective ringing. There are other makers. Some come and go, some stay. Some even think they invented the cast metal lure. Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the defective crap they put out there is somehow of high quality.That is why I don't use there stuff.
    Forth thing: This is not a new problem. Stuff like this has been going on for years; back when all Tadys were bent metal and a Spoofer still caught Bonito there were problems with shape, drilling, and ringing. In 1970 the YoYo 4 was the go to jig. They were so popular they stopped working literally because the mold was warren out. It popped out blanks that were rounded and had no action when painted and rigged. The sand casting method in vulnerable especially, but if you go to injection molding you run the risk of popping out perfectly consistent blanks that may, in fact, not swim at all(that's what happened with 2nd generation Schnabels).
    Fifth thing: Hips. For the most part we inspect only a certain type of jig for the hips- you did it with a 5x. More 45's are looked at than any other type. These jigs are the most versatile. They catch Calico Bass, Barracuda, and Yellowtail on the surface-on the grind. They are about 6 1/4" to 6 3/4" long,longer in the front and shorter in the back, flat or slightly concave on the back, and humped on the top. The side edges are not symmetrical. The length of the edge on one side will be longer by a very small amount. The distance from the center line at the widest point will be greater on one side than the other by a minute amount. Therefore, hips. And we place great stock in this asymmetry and look at the jigs individually to see what looks best. This feature has been around as long as the cast metal jig. Capt. Jim Putter after he abandoned the bonejig shape came up with what remains the standard shape today. I looked at all eight of the ones I have- hips are identical. The absolute classic shape without the higher hump of the Putter and from which the modern Tady, IISharp, Candybar and Salas is the House of Jigs Explorer. I compared a box of 25 to 30 Explorer blanks and a dozen rigged lures. Hips are the same. No problem getting it right in 1960.
    I hope this stimulates a discussion.
  14. tossmeatuna

What I like to do is, I have a round file at home and file off imperfections on the weld.

15. kantstudien

Tony, I still haven't decided if you are brilliant or full of crap. But please don't stop writing, it is very entertaining and thought-provoking stuff to read :)
  16. here'smymule

To tossmeatuna: i read your post. I immediately went over to a box of pre-1970 Salas YoYo 3's and 1's. Their rings were all smooth, even where they were brazed. I went an examined old Starman's and Schnabel's; tie your line to them and there will be no problems. Persistent problems with ringing is a relatively new problem. If you absolutely have to use a jig with a rough ring because of the color why not use a piece of single strand. Capt. Paul Medina formerly of the Matt Walsh in 2010 was gung ho for spectra to wire for Yellows on surface iron.
    To kantstudien: "Therefore, every rational being must so act as if he were through his maxim always a legislating member in the universal kingdom of ends." You cannot imagine the buzz in the very early 90's when II Sharp's first appeared. I was out at the Horseshoe with Ray Duane on the Matt Walsh. It was one of those dreamy afternoons with the current and breeze running in the same direction and the Barracuda were back in the chum. Making that long cast and seeing them come up and roll on your jig. There was a guy closer to the stern than me and he was bit every cast. I asked him what he was using and he showed me my first II Sharp lure. He said that if I wanted to use one he would loan me one and I would have to pay him if I lost it. I couldn't believe how much better it worked. I gave it back at the end of the day and he told me where I could buy some. I bought a bunch on the way home. I started to use them on a regular basis. A few years later a friend started to rep them and I met Craig Morton. This guy was(and remains-if you happen to see this post, Craig!) brilliant. His goal was to make jigs that worked well every single time And, you know, he did for a long time. If you look at some old Clydes, Clydes/Schnabels, and 1st generation Schnabel you see marks where the jig has been and the hole filled with a different kind on metal. This was an effort to make the jigs swim better.
    The reason I put the third formulation of the Categorical Imperative is because there have been some jig makers that came from a higher plane. Craig made jigs that worked because it was the right thing to do. Have you heard of OSP?
  17. Wildman

Nicely done, Kevin! and, Thanks for the tips
  18. MATTANZA

look for used iron that's chewed up...
  19. johndtuttle

quoted for truth.
  20. jmericle

Holly shit. Look what I started. Funny, I put this youtube video in the posts a few weeks ago and just saw this one today. I'm greatfull for the video. I took a look at a lot of my irons at home and found about 15 out of 50 or so that are perfect and the rest, I modified the hole to help them swim better. Iron fishing is awesome and exciting.