Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011

Discussion in 'Panama & Central America Fishing Reports' started by Willy'Z, Feb 24, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Willy'Z

Sorry guys for the late updates. Pesca Panama is not a land based sport fishing operation. Our floating lodge stays out a week at a time. We need to wait a week for photos and reports from our skippers and clients.

Tight lines,
    Capt. Ricky Z

GREETINGS FROM THE TROPICS

THE BAIT TANK WAS LOADED WITH "LIVIES" AND FRESH CAUGHT LOBSTER TAILS WERE A BOILING IN THE POT. THE WIND WAS CALM ANDTHE SEA HAD JUST A RIPPLE. I WAS WONDERING, "HOW MUCH BETTER CAN IT GET THAN THIS?" WELL, THIS WEEKS ANGLERS WERE ABOUT TO FIND OUT AS WE WELCOMED A, "BAND OF BROTHERS." FISHING WITH UP THIS WEEK WERE BROTHERS KURT AND RICK SHEETZ; DON AND BRUCE PAVOL; FRANK, PAUL AND STEVE SWATSCHENO; JOHN AND JOE MASSARELLI; AND ANTONIO GAMBINI ACCOMPANIED BY ANTHONY ZALONIS.

WAHOO RETURN

AFTER SEEING THE NUMBER OF WAHOO WE CATCH DWINDLE DOWN EACH WEEK, WE THOUGH THAT THE WAHOO SEASON WAS COMING TO AN END. WELL SOME ONE FORGOT TO TELLTHE WAHOO. SEVERAL GOOD CATCHES OF WAHOO WERE CAUGHT WHILE TROLLING FOR THEM NEAR JICRON ISLAND. THESE WERE SOME NICE SIZED WAHOO AND REALLY A SURPRISE TO ME.

DORADO ON THE DOORKNOB

DOORKNOB, GT BULL, YOU NAME IT. JUST THROW YOUR POPPER AT JUST ABOUT ANY BIG FLOATING LOG THIS WEEK AND BANG, YOU WERE HOOKED UP. MOST OF THESE WERE GOOD SIZED DORADO IN THE 25 TO 40 LB RANGE. ONE ANGLER CLAIMED HIS BIGGEST DORADO WENT 60 LBS. I SAW THE PHOTO AND NOT THE SCALE BUT EVEN I THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE STRETCHING JUST A LITTLE TOO MUCH. BUT WE ALL KNOW A FISHERMAN WOULD NEVER LIE ABOUT THE WEIGHT OF HIS CATCH!

SAILFISH WERE THE NEXT SURPRISE

MOST OF OUR BOATS THIS WEEK WERE ABLE TO CATCH AND RELEASE BIG PACIFIC SAILFISH. LIVE BAIT, SLOW TROLLED ON A SMALL CIRCLE HOOK WAS THE PREFERRED BAIT.

BLACK MARLIN CAUGHT ON HANNIBAL BANK

AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS OF NOT REALLY FISHING FOR MARLIN, THIS WEEK'S ANGLERS WERE READY TO ADD THEM TO, "THEIR FISH CAUGHT LIST." THE WATER CONDITIONS ON THE BANK WERE GOOD THIS WEEK AS THE BIG TIDES HAD BROUGHT IN THE CLEAN, DARK BLUE WATER FROM WAY OFFSHORE. THIS IS JUST THE TYPE OF WATER THAT BLACK MARLING LIKE.ANTONIO GAMBINI WAS FISHING WITH CAPTAIN JUAN WHEN HE CAUGHT THE FIRST BLACK MARLIN ON A BLUE AND SILVER, MOLD CRAFT, WIDE RANGER. WHEN RELEASED THE MARLIN WAS ESTIMATED TO BE IN THE 350 LB RANGE. NEXT BLACK MARLIN ATE AND LIVE BAIT THAT JOE MASSARELLI WAS SLOW TROLLING. JOE SAID, "AFTER A LONG THIRTY SECONDS THE LINE CAME TIGHT AND THE BIG GIRL JUST, SKY ROCKETED OUT OF THE WATER!" AFTER A GOOD FIGHT ON STAND-UP TACKLE THE FISH WAS RELEASED ALONGSIDE THE OCEAN MASTER. CAPTAIN TITO, OUR OLDEST AND MOST EXPERIENCED CAPTAIN, ESTIMATED THE MARLIN AT OVER 650 LBS.

ROOSTERFISH AND CUBERA SNAPPERS

OUR INSHORE FISHING CAN JUST ABOUT ALWAYS CAN BE COUNTED ON TO PRODUCE A LOT OF NICE CATCHES. THIS WEEK WAS NOT ANY DIFFERENT. SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF THE ROOSTERFISH THIS WEEK WERE STRIKING POPPERS. I REMEMBER ON ANGER SAYING ON HIS LAST DAY OF FISH, "I DIDN'T HOOK A ROOSTERFISH TODAY BUT I HAD EIGHT OF THEM FIGHTING OVER MY LURE." NOW YOU KNOW WHY

FISHERMEN SOMETIMES GET FRUSTRATED.

TIGHT LINES,
    Ricky Z
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-8A.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-8D.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-8E.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-8F.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-84.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-86.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-88.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-91.jpg
    • Pesca Panama Jan. 23rd 2011-92.jpg