Pesca Panama Fish Reports

Discussion in 'Panama & Central America Fishing Reports' started by Willy'Z, May 27, 2005.

1. Willy'Z

For those interested we thought we would share weekly fish reports for those of you considering fishing in Panama. If you have any questions in general about fishing in Panama don't hesitate to ask.

Tight Lines
    Ricky R. Zuniga
    West Coast Rep.
    Pesca Panama
  2. Willy'Z

GREETINGS FROM THE TROPICS,

FATHER AND SON ANGLERS, BOB AND ETHAN BERTO FROM KETCHIKAN, ALASKA JOINED JOHN BRESSI WITH HIS GANG FROM CHILE INCLUDING; JAMIE FERNANDEZ, CHRISTIAN PRIETO, ENRIQUE SOTO, ALEJANDRO ALVAREZ, CARLOS ARENAS, SERGIO MALICETT, CARLOS GARRIDO, JOSE IRIBARREN, MARIO ELGUETA, FERNANDO NUNEZ AND MARIO AGUILERA FOR SOME FISHING FROM THE FLOATING LODGE HERE AT COIBA ISLAND, PANAMA

THIS WEEK SEVERAL CHANGES CAME ABOUT AT PESCA PANAMA. THE FIRST WAS CAPTAIN TRAVIS "ROBERTO" PETERSON LEAVING THE FANTASTIC FISHING IN PANAMA TO RETURN TO ALASKA FOR THE, UP COMING, FISHING SEASON THERE. THANKS TRAVIS FOR HELPING MAKE THIS A GREAT YEAR OF FISHING HERE AT PESCA PANAMA. NOW THE FISH CAN REST EASIER!

THE SECOND CHANGE WAS THE RETURN OF CLEAN, BLUE WATER TO OUR FISHING AREA. THIS WAS MOST WELCOME AFTER THREE WEEKS OF GREEN WATER. ALONG WITH THE IMPROVED FISHING CONDITIONS CAME THE YELLOW FIN TUNA. WE ACTUALLY HAD TWO HOT TUNA FISHING AREAS THIS WEEK. ONE AREA WAS 3 TO 5 MILES OFF PUNTA HERMOSA ON COIBA ISLAND AND THE OTHER WAS BACK AT OUR OLD FISHING GROUNDS NEAR ISLA MONTUOSA. THIS WEEK MANY TUNA IN THE 20 LB TO 60 LB CLASS WERE AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKING OUR POPPERS. FISHING WITH LIVE BONITA PRODUCED NUMEROUS YELLOW FIN IN THE 130 TO 150 LB CLASS WITH THE LARGEST, A 268 LBS TUNA ,CAUGHT BY ANGLER ETHAN BERTO WHILE FISHING WITH CAPTAIN MACHO. ETHAN WAS ALSO ABLE TO HOOK-UP ON THE LARGEST FISH WE HAVE EVER HOOKED, A WHALE SHARK. THE MONSTER SIZED ANIMAL,REPORTED AS LONG AS THE 27 FT BOAT, JUST SLIDE DOWN TO THE DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN WHILE OUR ANGLER AND CREW COULD ONLY HANG ON TO THE ROD AND REEL. NOW THIS IS ANOTHER SPECIES OF FISH TO ADD TO YOUR LIST!

WE "WACKED THE WAHOO"THIS WEEK WITH WAHOO BEING CAUGHT IN MOST LOCATIONS. WAHOO WERE EATING UP THE NEW "RICKY Z" TROLLING LURES THAT HAD JUST ARRIVED. FROM ALL INDICATIONS WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD WAHOO BITE THIS WAHOO SEASON [MAY THRU NOVEMBER]. NOT MUCH INSHORE CASTING WAS DONE THIS WEEK AS OUR ANGLERS CONCENTRATED ON CATCHING TUNA. SO WE DON’T REALLY HAVE AN INSHORE REPORT BUT WITH THE RETURN OF THE BLUE WATER YOU CAN BET THE INSHORE BITE IS READY TO GO OFF.

TIGHT LINES,
    CAPTAIN JAY GUSTIN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. papagallo

Great Idea !!! Fished in Panama once. Great trip. Would love to hear from you guys.
  4. TeamStriper

Thanks for the report!
    We're booked with you guys for the first week of April 2006.
    Keep us informed :)

Thanks!
    Josh
  5. TheShark

Right on!!!

Thank you for the report! Please keep them comming!!!
  6. Johnnyfish

Those are some rad pictures...nice fish.
  7. Willy'Z

CALM SEAS AND A WIDE OPEN WAHOO BITE GREETED OUR GUEST THIS WEEK. FROM BOCA RATON, FLORIDA CAME ANGLERS TERRY LEEN, BRENDAN LEEN, LOUIS TOMASIELLO AND KIRK WARRIOR. ALSO FISHING WITH US THIS WEEK WAS, FAMILY FRIEND, HAROLD BURKUM FROM ANACORTES, WASHINGTON.

WAHOO WERE THE "FISH OF THE WEEK." THE FLORIDA BOYS GOT RIGHT INTO THE BITE LANDING 10 WAHOO WHILE FISHING NEAR LA DRONES ISLAND. THIS WAS FOLLOWED UP THE NEXT DAY BY MORE WAHOO, A RELEASED SAILFISH AND A COUPLE BIG CUBERA SNAPPERS WHILE FISHING NEAR MONTUOSA ISLAND. KIRK WAS ABLE TO CATCH AND RELEASE AN ESTIMATED 350 LB BLACK MARLIN WHILE FISHING AT HANNIBAL BANK. ACTION ON BIG TUNA SLOWED THIS WEEK BUT LOUIS WAS ABLE TO LAND A 210 LB YELLOWFIN AND PULLED THE HOOK, RIGHT AT THE BOAT, ON ANOTHER LARGE TUNA, CAPTAIN MACHO REPORTED GOOD TOP WATER ACTION ON FOOTBALL SIZED TUNA WITH THE FISH AGGRESSIVELY STRIKING POPPERS.

WHILE THE FLORIDA BOYS WERE FIGHTING THE BLACK MARLIN AT HANNIBAL BANK, HAROLD AND I RAN DOWN TO JICARITA ISLAND AND GOT INTO ANOTHER WAHOO BIT. WITH CAPTAIN LUCHO, WE LANDED 7 WAHOO, A COUPLE OF SMALL YELLOWFIN TUNA AND A JACK CREVELLE. HAROLD ALSO HAD ONE OF THE BEST DAYS EVER AT THE "SNOOK HOLE" ON COIBA ISLAND. HE SUCCESSFULLY CAUGHT AND RELEASED 12 SNOOK ONE MORNING. OTHER NOtABLE CATCHES THIS WEEK INCLUDED; BRENDAN'S CATCH AND RELEASE OF A 100 LB SAILFISH ON A POPPER AND BOTH TERRY AND HAROLD CAUGHT AND RELEASED ROOSTERFISH ON A POPPER. GOOD GOING GUYS!

AS JUNE ARRIVED OUR ANGLERS ENJOYED CATCHING THE BIG VARIETY OF FISH AVAILABLE THIS TIME OF YEAR HERE AT PESCA PANAMA. THIS WEEK THE FOLLOWING 23 SPECIES WERE CAUGHT; AMBERJACK, BARRACUDA, BONITA, BIGEYE JACK, BLACK GROUPER, BLACK MARLIN, BLUE JACK, BLUE RUNNER, CABRILLA, CUBERA SNAPPER, DORADO, JACK CREVELLE, HOUNDFISH, LADYFISH, MULLET SNAPPER, POMPANO, ROOSTERFISH, SAILFISH, SIERRA MACKERAL, SNOOK, WAHOO, WHITETIP SHARK AND YELLOWFIN TUNA,

I SHOULD NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO FISH LIMITS IN PANAMA. SO WHEN THE ANGLER GETS INTO ONE OF THESE WIDE OPEN BITES IT IS UP TO HIM TO REGULATE HIS CATCH. MOST OF OUR ANGLERS DO A GOOD JOB OF LIMITING THEIR CATCH, KEEPING 6 TO 10 WAHOO A DAY PER BOAT. GUY HARVEY ONCE TOLD ME,"THE SPORT IS IN THE CATCHING, NOT IN THE KILLING." THIS STATEMENT REALLY MADE AN IMPRESSION ON ME,

TIGHT LINES,
    CAPTAIN JAY GUSTIN

P.S. FISHING NOTES:
    AT PESCA PANAMA WE HAVE JUST COMPLETED REPLACING THE OUTBOARD MOTORS ON ALL OF OUR OCEAN MASTERS. WHAT DID WE REPLACE THE MOTORS WITH? THE SAME MAKE OF MOTOR WE TOOK OFF, THE SUZUKI 140 4-STROKE. THE ENGINES WE REPLACE HAD BETWEEN 3500 AND 4200 HOURS RUNNING TIME. I FIND THIS REMARKABLE FOR OUTBOARDS MOTORS. THE ONLY THINGS WE DID TO MAINTAIN THE MOTORS WAS CHANGE OIL EVERY 100 HRS AND THE OTHER SCHEDULED MAINTENCE. WE DID HAVE TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS, SEVERAL FUEL INJECTOR AND A COUPLE OF HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMPS, THESE MOTORS ARE COMPETIVELY PRICED, REQUIRE LOW MAINTENCE, ARE FUEL EFFICENT AND OFFER SURPRISING LONGIVITY. SO WHEN IT COMES TO BUYING A MID-RANGE OUTBOARD, MAKE MINE A SUZUKI 140 4-STROKE. I AM SOLD ON THEM!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. Reel Trouble

Yo Willy'Z any chance you could type your report not in cap locks? It's much easier on the ojos.

Thank you
  9. Willy'Z

WE HAD SOME VERY SPECIAL FISHING GOING ON AT PESCA PANAMA THIS WEEK. THE AROSTEGUI FAMILY FROM CORAL GABLES,FLORIDA INCLUDING; MOTHER ROBERTA, FATHER MARTY, DAUGHTER DANIELLE AND SON MARTINI HAD SELECTED TO FISH WITH PESCA PANAMA. THIS FAMILY HAS A CAUGHT A COMBINED TOTAL OF OVER 200 IGFA RECORDS. MARTY HOLDS 96 IGFA FLY RECORDS AND HIS GOAL WAS TO TRY AND CATCH HIS 100TH IGFA FLY RECORD WHILE FISHING WITH PESCA PANAMA.

THE, 'DYNAMIC DUO,' JIM MCCORD OF FORT MYERS, FLORIDA AND HARRY LOWELL OF DATONA BEACH , FLORIDA WERE ALSO FISHING WITH US FOR THE FOURTH TIME THIS YEAR. NOW THAT IS MY IDEA OF A RETURN CLIENT!

OUR NORMAL WEATHER RETURNED THIS WEEK AS THE EFFECTS OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION 'ARLENE' IN THE CARIBBEAN HAD MOVED ON NORTH. THIS LEFT OUR ANGLERS WITH CALMER SEAS, CLOUDY SKIES AND THE NORMAL TROPICAL RAIN SHOWERS WE EXPECT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.

THE FISHING ACTION THIS WEEK WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE. THE WAHOO BITE WAS 'WIDE OPEN.' OUR ANGLERS REPORTED BEING ABLE TO CATCH WAHOO, AT WILL, IN MOST AREAS. THE WAHOO WERE SO THICK THERE WOULD BE SCHOOLS OF THEM FOLLOWING THE LURES BACK TO THE BOAT. IF YOU WERE AFTER WAHOO, THEN JUNE IS THE MONTH TO BE HERE. OFFSHORE, JIM AND HARRY HOOKED A SAILFISH AND A BLUE MARLIN ALONG WITH SEVERAL SMALL,40 LB, YELLOWFIN TUNA. BUT OFFSHORE WAS PRETTY DEAD THIS WEEK THE AROSTEGUI FAMILY GOT INTO THE ACTION AS SOON AS THEY STARTED CASTING AND NEW POTENTIAL IGFA RECORDS STARTED BEING LANDED. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THEIR FISHING. NOW ALL OF THIS IS PENDING, BUT THE AROSTEGUIS CAUGHT 11 POTENTIAL IGFA RECORD FISH THIS WEEK WHILE FISHING WITH PESCA PANAMA! NOW THAT IS GREAT WEEK OF FISHING IN ANYBODY'S BOOK.

TIGHT LINES,
    CAPTAIN JAY GUSTIN

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Willy'Z

Yeah I'll fix that next time :)
  11. skippajack

Kller reports man!!!!
  12. Saluki

Awesome reports!!!

My uncle is down at Panama right now,,,,,,, & I'm jealous
  13. Willy'Z

Happy to see the intrest in Panama. I've fished around, even had a charter busniess on the West Coast of Mexico, but Panama by far is a great fishery.
    If any one would like a free brochure and a DVD, just give me a shout.

Tight lines,

Ricky Z
  14. Saluki

Keep posting reports Ricky and people will come
    Try to make a new post for each trip.

Thanks again for the post, your stirring interest.
  15. BluefinCurly

See Ricky, I told you, "build it and they will come".............
  16. Willy'Z

Hello from the tropics,

THE PESCA PANAMA SEASON IS UNDERWAY AND THE BITE IS ON!! THIS WEEK WE HOSTED TWO GROUPS OF ANGLERS; TIDEWORKS TECHNOLOGY, A MAJOR SOFTWARE COMPANY IN THE CONTAINER SHIPPING INDUSTRY WAS HERE WITH ANGLERS T. J. RUCKER, TODD TATTERSON, TOM LEATHERBERRY, MERVYN GRANT, FRED CASTONGUAY, JAVIER MIRANDA, FRANK ROVIROSA AND RICK ROVIROSA. WE WELCOMED BACK RETURNING ANGLERS BRUCE JARVIS AND HIS SON SHANE ALONG WITH CECIL BRODERICK AND NEW COMER ROBERT MAYER.

THE FIRST DAY OUR ANGLERS FOUND THEMSELVES IN WHAT WE CALL A “WIDE OPEN WAHOO BITE” AT LADRONES ISLAND. FINDING THE HOOS STACKED IN NEAR SHORE HI SPOTS AND ROCKS, ALL MAYHEM ERUPTED WITH DOUBLES, TRIPLES, AND QUADS!!! PACKS OF AGGRESSIVE FISH FOLLOWED THE TROLL HOOKED FISH TO THE BOAT CREATING EVEN MORE EXCITEMENT AS THE FISH ATTACKED IRONS AND POPPERS! AS THE WEEK PROGRESSED THE WAHOO ACTION REMAINED FAIRLY CONSISTENT THROUGHOUT THE AREA! ON THE FORTH AND FIFTH DAY BRUCE AND CECIL, FISHING WITH “TEAM MACHO” FOUND SOME MONSTER HOOS LANDING SEVERAL FISH BETWEEN 45 AND 70 POUNDS!!!

OFFSHORE FISHING THIS WEEK ALSO PRODUCED SOME GREAT CATCHES! WORKING TOGETHER ON THE SECOND DAY WE WERE ABLE TO FIND A LARGE SCHOOL OF PORPOISE AND TUNA AND IT WASN’T LONG UNTIL ALL THREE BOATS WERE PINNED TO "XL" YELLOW FIN TUNA! FRED CASTONGUAY HAD THE FIGHT OF HIS LIFE WITH A BRUISER OF A FISH, WEIGHING 170# AND TAKING OVER AN HOUR TO WRESTLE TO THE BOAT! WHEN THE SMOKE SETTLED AND THE BITE COOLED DOWN THE COUNT WAS 5 YELLOW FIN BETWEEN 120 AND 170 LBS AND SEVERAL SMALLER FOOTBALL’S TAKEN ON TOP-WATER!

THE INSHORE FISHING WAS FAIR WITH A FEW OF THE AREAS FAMED CUBERA “MARLIN ROJO” SNAPPER SHOWING THEMSELVES! SEVERAL ROOSTERS, JACKS AND MULLET SNAPPER ALSO FILLED IN THE GAPS ON THE INSHORE SIDE!

HANNIBLE SHOWED SIGNS OF WARMING UP AS CAPTAIN BARTOLO JUMPED TWO BLACK MARLIN! UNFORTUNATELY THE FISH WERE ABLE TO THROW THE HOOKS ON THE FIST JUMP, BUT WE ARE HAPPY TO SEE THE BLACKS MAKING THEIR SEASONAL RETURN TO THE BANK!

WE ARE ALSO STARTING TO SEE SCHOOLS OF DORADO, SO IT WOULD INDICATE THAT OUR DORADO FISHING WILL CONTINUE TO PICK-UP AS WE MOVE CLOSER TO THE PEAK OF DORADO FISHING IN DECEMBER. THIS WEEK’S YELLOW FIN CATCHES WERE TWO MONTHS AHEAD OF THE TIME THE YELLOW FIN SHOWED UP LAST YEAR. WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN? BEATS ME, BUT I DO KNOW WE HAD SOME GREAT FISHING THIS WEEK AT PESCA PANAMA.

TIGHT LINES,
    Ricky Z.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. ZZZZZ

Woh a Hoo on a Popper awesome. :High_Five
  18. TheShark

Thanks for the great report and the pic's!

I need to add this place to my wish list!

Keep sending the reports!
  19. Willy'Z

Harry Lowell and Jim McCord were back fishing with Pesca Panama this week. They were joined by Jim’s son James McCord and couple of their fishing buddies Kevin Kenney and Rex Furrer. All of the fishermen live in Florida and have spent many hours pursuing their passion, fishing. We welcomed them to some fantastic fishing in Panama.

The week started off like a replay of last week’s fishing as or anglers had a great bite on the first day. Ladrones Island and the subsurface structure around Ladrones provided the crew with some sensational Wahoo fishing and jigging!! Harry and Team Macho returned with 10 nice Wahoo and 3 bull dolphin. Rex, James an Team Ponchera also found a couple of Hoos on the first day, but the real action came on the “iron” landing 15 Amberjacks to 57lbs, a nice Cubera, and a mix of other fish that kept the guys pinned to the rail for the afternoon!

Offshore the Tuna (yes Tuna in November) monopolized the action! The Yellow fin accompanied monster schools of porpoise and fish from 15lbs and up readily attacked poppers and live bait!!! James had the strike and fight of a lifetime on a Yo-Zuri GT Bull he cast on spinning gear! The 167lb fish launched out of the water and inhaled the popper, but with heavy pressure, a broken rod, a lost gaff and plenty of luck the fish was in the boat in 10 minutes….Great fish and an unbelievable fight on spinning gear…Good job James!! Kevin Also hooked a XXXL Tuna on top-water, but after a long battle with the entire crew kicking in to help fight the fish the line parted and the fish swam free. Harry’s diligent pursuit of monster marlin did not produce any billfish, but he did manage to horse in some scrappy Tuna to 170lbs…Good job and good luck next time on your dream Marlin Harry!!

Although the wind and rain pounded the coast for the last three days of the trip we were able to find some good fishing at Islas Secas and Contreras. Kevin, fishing with Team Bartolo, had a wide open Wahoo bite at Canales island and managed to land several Roosters and Cubera. Aboard team Ponchera, Rex and James both landed their first Rooster Fish and several nice Dorado!!

It was an exciting week and a great week to relax! Thanks for putting the time in, and all of the great times on the water! We all look forward to seeing you again in January!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. TheShark

I need a trip- far far away :)