Pesca Panama 03-18-2006

Discussion in 'Panama & Central America Fishing Reports' started by Willy'Z, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Willy'Z

PESCA PANAMA FISHING REPORT FOR MARCH 18, 2006

GREETINGS FROM THE TROPICS,

THIS WAS LIKE OLD HOME WEEK HERE AT PESCA PANAMA AS WE WELCOMED BACK ROB AND MONTE FAIRWEATHER ALONG WITH THEIR GUEST BOB POWERS, JERRY MCCUTCHAN AND JOEL ROHRS. BROTHERS WILL AND TIM BRUNE AND THEIR FISHING PARTNER THORNDIKE WILLIAMS ALSO RETURNED. WILL HAS CONTACTED “PESCA PANAMA FISHING FEVER,” RETURNING FOR THE FOURTH TIME IN TWELVE MONTHS! ROUNDING OUT THE GROUP WAS RETURNING GERIATRIC ANGERS; ART DIEDRICH, JOHN BULEY AND ROGER “FUZZY” SCHMID.

THE HOT TUNA BITE WAS ON AT MONTUOSA ISLAND AS YELLOWFINS WERE ATTACKING POPPERS. THE CREW SAW SOME GREAT CATCHES BEGINNING ON THE SECOND DAY WHEN ART AND JOHN LANDED A MONSTER 193 POUND TUNA ON TOP-WATER SPINNING. FUZZY FOLLOWED UP LANDING A 183 POUND TUNA ON SPINNING GEAR THE SAME DAY! MONTY AND JOEL ALSO HAD GREAT CASTING LANDING A 167 POUND TUNA ON SPINNING GEAR! TIM AND THORNDIKE ALSO FOUND TUNA ON THE SECOND DAY LANDING A 190# AND 210# TUNA ON BAIT. THE OFFSHORE TUNA CASTING CONTINUED TO BE SENSATIONAL WHEN ROB, JERRY AND BOB LANDED A 100# AND 150# TUNA ON THE THIRD DAY OF FISHING!

ONE OF THE MOST EXCITING FISHERIES AVAILABLE HERE AT COIBA IS CASTING POPPERS; NEVER REALLY KNOWING WHAT WILL GRAB YOUR LURE NEXT......A SCRAPPY 5 POUND JACK OR A TACKLE TESTING TUNA. TIM PUSHED CASTING TO THE LIMIT WHEN HE CAST A POPPER TO SOME BREEZING TUNA ON HANNIBAL BANK! A MONSTER TUNA EXPLODED ON HIS POPPER AND THE FIGHT WAS ON!!! WITHIN MINUTES THE MATE HAD IS FIRST SHOT WITH THE GAFF "SCRAPPING" AND MISSING THE WILD FISH....ONE OTHER BENT GAFF (NEARLY LOST CREWMAN) 10 MINUTES AND THE CREW HAD THERE THIRD SHOT TO GAFF THE FISH! IN EXCITEMENT AND DISBELIEF THE CREW PULLED THE 270 POUND TUNA ONBOARD! CONGRATULATIONS TIM FOR A WILD FIGHT AND THE NEW PESCA PANAMA RECORD ON CASTING/SPINNING GEAR!!!

NOW AS FISHING LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, TWO DAYS LATER, WILL HOOKED UP ANOTHER HUGE YELLOWFIN WHILE FISHING WITH LIVE BAIT ON THE BANANA BANK. THIS TIME THE TUNA WAS EVEN LARGER, WEIGHTING 307 LBS, SO FAR OUR LARGEST TUNA OF THE YEAR. GREAT FISHING FOR THE BROTHERS BRUNE!

INSHORE FISHING WAS ALSO EXCEPTIONAL THIS WEEK!! THE FAIRWEATHER TEAM HAD GREAT JIGGING FOR AMBERJACKS AND SNAPPER! TIM, WILL AND THORN HAD 8 CUBERA ON THE FOURTH DAY AND FUZZY, ART AND JOHN SAW SOME GREAT ACTION INCLUDING SOME XXL AMBERJACK AND CUBERA!

FISHING TIPS:

IT TAKES THE RIGHT TACKLE, A GOOD ANGLER AND A LITTLE LUCK TO LAND A GREAT FISH. THIS WEEK ALL THREE CAME TOGATHER. LET’S LOOK AT TIMS’ TACKLE.

REEL: SHIMANO STELLA 8000

THIS IS ONE GREAT ALL AROUND SPINNING REEL AND IT WORKED ON THIS FISH. FOR BIG TUNA I THINK THE STELLA 20000 WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE DUE TO THE REELS’ LARGER LINE CAPACITY.

ROD: A CAPE FEAR SPINNING ROD MODEL BLUE WATER 30-50SP66. THIS IS ONE STIFF STICK AND IT WORKED GREAT ON THS BIG TUNA. WILL BROUGHT THIS ROD DOWN LAST YEAR TO USE AND I CONVINCED HIM TO SELL IT TO ME. THIS TIME HIS BROTHER TIM REALLY GOT A CHANCE TO USE IT.

LINE: 65 LB SPECTRA BY POWER PRO. THIS IS OUR LINE OF CHOICE BUT I BELIEVE OTHER BRANDS WORK JUST A WELL. YOU CAN USE 80 LB SPECTRA BUT I LIKE TO USE IT ON THE HIGHER LINE CAPACITY REELS LIKE THE STELLA 10000, STELLA 20000 OR THE NEW ACCURATE TWINSPIN 30.

LURE: A MODIFIED YO ZURI GT BULL. THE MODIFICATIONS ARE BETTER SPLIT RINGS AND HOOKS. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE DONE AT THE FACTORY. FOR CATCHING FISH ON A POPPER THE GT BULL IS HARD TO BEAT.

Check out this weeks PICS