PESCA PANAMA 02-20-06

Discussion in 'Panama & Central America Fishing Reports' started by Willy'Z, Feb 20, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Willy'Z

[​IMG]
    TOP-WATER FISHING HERE AT THE COIBA ISLAND REGION IS ONE OF THE MOST EXCITING INSHORE FISHERIES ON THE PLANET. OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS WE HAVE LEARNED THAT TOP-WATER FISHING CAN ALSO BE A SUPER EXCITING AND EFFECTIVE WAY TO PURSUE OFFSHORE FISH! THIS WEEK PESCA PANAMA SAW SOME RECORD SETTING CATCHES THAT JUST A FEW YEARS AGO WE WOULD HAVE NEVER DREAMED POSSIBLE!

LOAD UP THE “RIVER WHISKEY” AND BUDWEISER THE IDAHO BOYS WERE BACK IN PANAMA. FISHING FROM THREE BOATS THE IDAHO GROUP INCLUDED; “RING LEADER” GRANT KOLNES, TODD HENRY, CRAIG BEITHEKT, BOB BASS, BERT “THE BRAINS OF THE BUNCH” BRADLEY, CHRIS GROVES, BILL GUHRKE, DENNIS GASPER AND DAVE “DIABLO BLANCO” NEWMAN.

FISHING WITH TEAM MACHO, WE WELCOMED BACK FRENCH TOP WATER ENTHUSIAST, CEDRIK DJELASSI AND HIS ANGLER BUDDY ERIC LAVDIER.

THE INSHORE ACTION WAS GOOD THIS WEEK BEGINNING WITH HOT WAHOO ACTION AT SECAS ISLANDS. FISHING WITH CAPTAIN TRAVIS, CRAIG, CHRIS AND TODD HOOKED FOUR WAHOO, LANDING TWO, WITH CHRIS’S FISH WEIGHING 60LBS!! BERT, CRAIG AND CHRIS ALSO HAD GREAT INSHORE FISHING ACTION LANDING SOME NICE CUBERA, JACKS AND A MONSTER 75 AMBERJACK ON THE FOURTH DAY AND SIX WAHOO ON THE FIFTH DAY! BOB HAD AN EXCITING CATCH ON FLY ROD (RIGGED WITH BAIT) WHEN HE LANDED A 50 POUND AMBERJACK! THE CASTING “MACHINES”, CEDRIK AND ERIC SAW EXCEPTIONAL INSHORE FISHING LANDING SEVERAL MONSTER CUBERAS…TWO OVER 50 POUNDS, VARIOUS JACKS AND ROOSTERFISH.

OFFSHORE FISHING THIS WEEK WAS SPOTTY FOR PESCA PANAMA, BUT OUR ANGLERS MANAGED TO PULL OFF SOME GREAT CATCHES. FINDING THE PORPOISE AND TUNA THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS THE CREW MANAGED TO LAND SOME NICE FISH. GRANT WAS QUICK TO HOOK UP AND LAND A 211 POUND FISH AND DIABLO FOLLOWED UP WITH A 192 POUND YELLOW FIN. DENNIS HAD A GREAT DAY ON THE THIRD DAY LANDING A 250 POUND BLACK MARLIN WITH CAPTAIN LUCHO. IN PURSUIT OF SAILFISH ON FLY TODD WAS RELENTLESS AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HAD A SOLID HOOK UP ONLY TO HAVE THE LEADER PART A FEW MINUTES INTO THE FIGHT. THANKS FOR PUTTING IN THE TIME TODD!

LOADED WITH THE TOP SPINNING GEAR AVAILABLE AND DETERMINATION TO CAST TOP-WATER LURES INCESSANTLY, CEDRIK AND ERIC HAD ONE OF THE BEST OFFSHORE TOP-WATER FISHING WEEKS TO DATE. LANDING DOZENS OF “SMALL” TUNA (TO 70 POUNDS) THE TEAM WAS DETERMINED TO TEST THEMSELVES AND THEIR GEAR AGAINST LARGER FISH! THE DETERMINATION PAID OFF WHEN ON THE THIRD DAY ERIC HOOKED AND LANDED THE LARGEST TUNA EVER LANDED WITH PESCA PANAMA ON SPINNING GEAR WEIGHING IN AT 193 POUNDS!!! UTILIZING TREMENDOUS DRAG PRESSURE THAT PUSHED HIS TACKLE TO THE LIMIT ERIC HAD THE MONSTER YELLOW FIN TO THE BOAT IN JUST UNDER 10 MINUTES!!!! AS IF A MONSTER TUNA ON POPPER WAS NOT ENOUGH CEDRIK WENT TO BATTLE WITH ANOTHER XXL TUNA LANDING A 277 POUND FISH ON STAND UP TACKLE THE SAME DAY! CONTENT WITH SUCCESS, THE TWO PUSHED THE LIMITS OF TOP-WATER FISHING TO THE MAX THE FOLLOWING DAY WHEN CEDRIK HOOKED AND LANDED A 300 POUND BLUE MARLIN FREE CASTING A POPPER OFFSHORE MONTUOSA ISLAND! CASTING FOR TUNA IN A LARGE PORPOISE SCHOOL THE BLUE MARLIN APPEARED BEHIND THE POPPER OUT OF NO WHERE. MISSING THE LURE THE FIRST TIME, CEDRIK CAST AGAIN AND THE BLUE ATE THE POPPER JUST FEET FROM THE BOW. ADDING TO THE EXCITEMENT A 160 POUND TUNA ATE A LIVE BAIT THE MOMENT THE MARLIN WAS HOOKED AND THE TEAM WAS CAUGHT IN THE DOUBLE HOOKUP OF A LIFETIME! AFTER AN HOUR BATTLE THE MARLIN WAS ALONG SIDE. THE POPPER WAS REMOVED AND THE FISH SWAM AWAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!!!! WHAT A WEEK!!

IT WAS A GREAT WEEK GUYS! WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN THE FUTURE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jason Admin

Hey Rick. I can tell you take time doing reports here. Glad to see you posting. If you want to put the best picture in your opinion at the very top of the post it will show up on the front page more often. We like putting random fish on the front page. ;)
  3. ?? fisherman

Those are some absolutely sick SICK pics!!!

Too bitchen!!

The unknown fisherman:p:
  4. locobro

jesus....
  5. HTA

sick, sick, sick, sick.......WOW! :eyepoppin Those are some incrediable photos and catches!
  6. Genelie

Nice weather, nice fish..................................wish i was there. nice report.
  7. Mamoo

Shit that looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Nice report. Cow tuna on the popper would be sick to watch.
  8. Garrettc8

the water out there is B E A U tiful.
  9. chriscoobs

damn, i would love one of those trevelly, they look like mean mother fuckers and i cant wait till i get one for myself. a passenger on an RP trip was telling me about how he cought them in madagasgar (sp?) on a surfing trip and how they were an insane fight....cant wait till i have the time and $ to catch exotics. that amberjack is nice too. long range is the best kind of fishing but variety is great also.
  10. BEER-ACUDA

DAMN NICE MONSTERS U GUYS CAUGHT IM FUCKIN JEALOUS LOOKS LIKE IT WAS FUN
  11. UnReel

I'm in shock!!!!!!! Great pics and report. Thanks for sharring it.
  12. Mstonefish

Awesome pics, keep the reports coming!:appl: :appl:
  13. Mots

Wow, looks awesome down there, thanks for the report and pic's.

Mstone, whata think:D
  14. doughnut

now that is TOPWATER FREAKING ACTION!!!! for sure!
  15. Saluki

Awesome!!!!

Okay, now I have a new place to dream about going to.

Keep the posts coming!!
  16. Ali Admin

AWESOME. Just AWESOME.
  17. TeamStriper

Thanks for the fix!
    My mouth is watering, time to start gathering the gear.
    5 weeks & counting before we depart on a 12 day adventure to Panama which will include 7 days with the fine Pesca Panama operation.
    The BD's will get a full report from the view of a SoCal boy upon our return, w/pics of course :)

Does anyone know if there are rod tube length restrictions on the puddle jumper from Panama City to David? I would love to have at least one 8 footer.
    Any specific "must have" gear/lures?

Thanks!!
    Josh
  18. Gmoney!

we need to get down there....i smell a BD trip.. who is in..

G
  19. Mike Ward

You guys slayed it!!! Awesome pictures and report. Im jelous.
  20. locobro

I'm checkin packages on travel, that place sounds too damn good to pass up! Will let you know what I find.

Peace