Perch'n 11/15/11

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing' started by flyfishthesurf, Nov 15, 2011.

1. flyfishthesurf

Went back to the same spot as yesterday and landed 100 perch, from dinks to toads, in an epic outing. In the 90's I use to get days where we got 100 fish, Mu Young Lee and I, but I don't fish an area for hours like back then. The surf wasn't too big and the water was clear with lots of sand crabs present so the fish are feeding well. Even the smaller fish had some girth to them as the gorge on crabs. I started out using a 6lb leader with a red checkerboard but at 50 perch to hand I switched to a pink checkerboard and a 4lb leader for the next 50.

I broke off one shovelnose and lost a corbina when I gave the line a little more tug then I should have but I wanted to see what was on the end of the line. I knew it wasn't a perch or shovelnose so as the leader came to the rod tip I pulled a tad too much as the corbina broke the surface and then broke off. Oh well.............

The bigger fish had the black rub marks of spawning and we got a mix of males and females with good size to them.
  2. euy

awesome report thanks for sharing!!! epic day for sure!!