Pedal VS Paddle

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by Adam12, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam12

I am a newbie and I am looking at different kayaks. I would like to here from some of you more experienced fishermen out there that have used the Hobies with the pedals. I have heard that you can pull up the flippers (?) while going thru kelp or beaching. Does this work? Are they easily damaged?
    Thank You,
    Adam
  2. sealtaco

I have two hobie's, one single and one tandem. I would not use another kayak after my hobie's. You will spend more on them, but with the ease of use and speed you will also use them more often. Fished mine today in the rain/wind in SD Bay!
  3. nmbrinkman

The pedals seem good for bay fisherman but I'm not sure about those using them inshore and dealing with kelp. There is also eel grass that you will almost always contend with. And pulling up your propulsion system to go through kelp may be a problem since you lose the ability to move out of the kelp.. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, your going to be hooked...
  4. BLOCK

Pedals are lame IMO..I tried the outback @ LJ and hated it.. If ur fishing 2 rods and 1 gets bit, you usually get spun around and if ur not careful ur other rod ends up wrapped up on the flippers/ or rudder... I also thought it was kinda weak that it's not as "hands free" as you'd think.. theres a cheap plastic lever attached to some string that turns ur rudder for steering...they don't steer for shit and you can't back up if needed...the thing was very unstable for how wide it was and was virtually unpaddleable... not to mention i've talked to a few guys who's hobie adventures leak in a ton of water thru the steering string holes!!!

edit- to be fair I'll answer your questions.. yes the pedals are very easy to pop in and out if needed..and the are very durable..you don't even have to take them out for beach landing ;)

you'll probably be happiest with a malibu extreme or cobra fish n dive..
  5. DrunkSanta

I have had 2 Hobie's over the past 2 years, I wouldn't use anything else. When you get to the kelp you don't need to pull up the peddles, about 1/2 the time I just power through it or you could just make the fins flush with the bottom of the yak by putting one peddle all the way forward.

I have been on 8 hour fishing trips and not been that tired when I came in, try that in a conventional yak. You will be surprised at how much power these put out for so little effort.

I fish an average of once a week in all kinds of weather and have never flipped it, I usually fish 2-3 rods and rarely get anything tangled in the fins. My biggest problem is getting lobster floats caught in the rudder.

The main drawback is that you have a hole in the bottom that lets about 2 inches of water in at the bottom near the peddles, I use neoprene waders when I lobster hunt in the winter.

I tried the adventure and found it to tippy for fishing, Im
    6'2" and about 235 lbs and this is the perfect yak for me.
  6. sealtaco

The myth that the pedals are always getting stuck in kelp is bullshit. I have cut right throught the stuff many times and maybe had to pull my pedals twice. The time it takes to pull out the pedal and take off kelp is maybe 30 second max!
  7. TROB

i have a brand new marauder that i love as a paddler, have only used it one time to test it in a year and a half.....i can't get away from my outback. i dont have any problems with getting fish hung up in the pedals, i dont see how you could.... and if you get a fish in the kelp, just pedal around to the other side and pull from there, usually works.

i weigh 175 and found it much more stable if i had a full bait tank when i first got the outback...but now it doesnt matter. once you get used to it, you won't paddle anything again
  8. madscientist

I know people who peddle and love it but I don't know any serious offshore guys that peddle that are not sponsored to do so. Personally, if I wanted to pedal I'd ride a bike. The deck layouts and poor handling in the surf would keep me away from them. I can see the appeal in the bay though (if not the appeal of the bay LOL).
  9. barrell

This is my first post but I do know a little bit about the Hobie product and the company. I was one of the first dealers they had in the country for the fishing yaks. Prior to getting one of the first Outbacks I had spent 15 years kayak fishing out of a variety of sit on tops, mostly every model Cobra ever made. The day I got my Hobie foot drive out on the water I knew I would never go back to paddling again. All the things that were a pain in the a... about paddle fishing were now in the past. Chasing down big fish, reteiving a snag, adjusting my position during the fight or when the wind or tide started to push me out of position, all those problems were eliminated. The Hobies are very fast and you can go twice as far as A guy your age can go with a paddle. Your legs are much bigger muscles than your arms so the reason is clear. All this is happening while the rod is where it belongs in your hands. We commonly fish under bridges at night for striped bass. The guys with paddles battle the current to get close to the shadow line. As they put their paddle away and grab their rod they are lucky to get one cast into the zone and then the whole padling back up current process starts all over again. We on the hobies run up against the current like its not even there with the rod in our hands, bail open finger on the line ready to cast. Then we go into slow stroke mode with the peddles and stay in position for an hour if we want to while the current rips by.
    The tourque that the drive creates is not talked about a lot but its the secret to the Hobies popularity. The drive has so much power current does not slow it down to a crawl like it does to a paddler. Ive given lessons and tours for many years out of my shop and most times one or two people in the group especialy kids get tired and cant make it back to the launch spot. I just snap a rope onto their boat handles and pass the others in the group like their standing still dragging one or two other paddlers behind me and their yaks.Try that with a paddle. I now after selling a ton of theese things ,guarantee before the sale a full refund to anyone who gets a Hobie and doesnt like it. Im not crazy I know that I will never have to give a refund and I never have. As far as the company goes we have had two defective boats in 8 years. Both customers were given brand new yaks from Hobie. I didnt have to bitch or scream all I had to do is call the company and give them the serial numbers off the bad boats. They stand behing what they make. Never had drive break yet.
  10. Adam12

WOW! A ton of great information. Thank You to everyone who responded. I think my next step would be to go out and test drive a few of these. I live in the Temecula area. I know the San Diego area better than the OC area. Does anyone know someone at a shop that will let you test drive a yak AND help you set it up for fishing? Thank You,
    Adam
  11. DrunkSanta

I would go to the hobie shop in Dana Point, Tim is the owner and he will let you take a free demo ride, I don't know if any shops in SD have that. He fishes and hoops so he can set you up. There is one unique way to fish on the hobie that you cant do on a standard yak, that is troll with a pole in your hand instead of a holder.

The deck layout is fine, I carry two poles in the in the forward holders when trolling, I don't use aftermarket holders just the holes in the kayak. I carry a milk crate in the back with my tackle box, lights, clothes etc. I still have enough room for my scupper wheels and a place for my lobsters. I can still carry all of that stuff and also 5 hoop-nets on the bow.

I don't launch from the surf that much but being able to get speed up when coming in probably helps and you are able to power out and over the surf pretty well, you do get wet in surf over two feet so you might want to get a cheap set of waterproof outerwear if you surf launch.

Give me a heads up and I can meet you down there if you come down
  12. madscientist

The OEX store in Pt. Loma will let you demo a yak and they have everything you need for fishing. Try as many different ones as you can and you'll likely find one that suits you.
  13. Ding A Ling

Outstanding exchange of information. I'm going to have to check this Yak stuff out.

:_shopping
  14. bing!

15. sealtaco

There is also fastlane in mission bay that will let you test drive a hobie, and they are right on the water. Another high point about the Hobie is their customer service. I had a small leak in my first outback and they replaced the whole kayak with a newer model no charge. Now that is great customer service.
  16. madscientist

Just my observation from LJ. The only semi-regulars I know who pedal are sponsored to do so. I'm sure there are others elsewhere, but I think it's informative to know what the people that put the time on the water choose to pedal/paddle.
  17. DrunkSanta

Hobie is just one of hundreds of manufactures of SOT kayaks out there, and the most expensive by 2x,of course there would be more standard yaks out there.

Think about this scenario: you are trolling using a standard yak with your paddle in your hand and your rod in a holder, you see a strike, drop your paddle (hopefully its leashed) pick up the rod, try to determine what type and size fish it is and if its hooked and game on. Or troll with a rod in your hands, feel the strike, set the hook and start fighting.
  18. Iceman

We snicker as they "fly" byLOL LOL LOL
  19. bing!

20. TheTaz

All good info.
    I guess for some of us, the pocketbook will decide on paddle, or pedal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.