Passport requirements.

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by @-EZ, Dec 17, 2007.

1. @-EZ

Does anyone have a hard answer to the requirements of when a passport is required when returning to US waters from mexico waters in a private vessel? This is all I've found w/regard to my question.

Traveling to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda by Land/Sea

Beginning January 31, 2008, the Department plans to move towards WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship alone.
    Citizens of the United States, Canda, Bermuda and Mexico will need to present the following to enter or depart the United States by land or sea:
    U.S. and Canadian Citizens

• Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
    • Children ages 18 and younger: proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
    • Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.
    Citizens from Bermuda

• Passport issued by the Government of Bermuda or the United Kingdom.
    Citizens from Mexico

• As under current entry requirements, Mexican nationals, regardless of age, must present a passport issued by the Government of Mexico and a visa, or a valid Form DSP-150, B-1/B-2 laser visa (Border Crossing Card).
    • Trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.
  2. FishStalker

You answered your own question:

Since you should be reporting to customs after your fishing trips (cough, cough) you will need a passport when the customers officer is processing your paperwork.
  3. @-EZ

Sorry, I may have worded the question wrong. According to this you will only have to present an ID such as Drivers license and birth certificate. My question was the requirement for passport only.

Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate

Perhaps it's just me. Am I reading it wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  4. MikeyLikesIt

Well, I just looked at the website, and it appears they have pushed back the "passport required" dates AGAIN!

so, my interpretation is...........

AIRLINES: Passport required to enter the US.

By CAR or BOAT, no passport needed.....only those listed approved forms of ID.

thats what it sez....... :imdumb:
  5. scorch

As I read the rules: If you take your private vessel into Mexican waters and return to the U.S. without having made any port of calls in Mexico, you will not need a passport as you will not have to clear customs upon your return.

Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements - CBP.gov