Pacific Dawn 2 day Trip (MaNy PiX - photos)

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range Fishing' started by 1:11, Jul 29, 2006.

1. 1:11

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT size=3><FONT face=18 Anglers departed Monday evening July 24<SUP>th</SUP> from Fisherman&#8217;s Landing aboard the 65&#8217; Sportfisher Pacific Dawn. The trip was chartered by sportfishingreport.com. Charter master was Brian Spayth of SFR.com. The crew for the trip were owner/operator Pat Cavanaugh, Barney, Mike (Opie), Johnny, and Chris aka &#8220;Fingers&#8221; in the galley. For some of us on the trip, this was our second or third year in a row on the same charter. All have been excellent trips.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <font size=" /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Pacific Dawn 2 day Trip Report 7/25-7/26
    <o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> </o:p>
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">18 Anglers departed Monday evening July 24<SUP>th</SUP> from Fisherman&#8217;s Landing aboard the 65&#8217; Sportfisher Pacific Dawn. The trip was a chartered by sportfishingreport.com. Charter master was Brian Spayth of SFR.com. The crew for the trip were owner/operator Pat Cavanaugh, Barney, Mike (Opie), Johnny, and Chris aka &#8220;Fingers&#8221; in the galley. For some of us on the trip, this was our 2<SUP>nd</SUP> or 3<SUP>rd</SUP> year in a row on the same charter. All have been excellent trips.
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">We headed to the receiver and loaded up on plenty of average quality sardines. With the warmer water and quick change in temperature the bait hasn&#8217;t been great. But it was certainly fishable and with a little extra time spent at the tank, was no problem to find dandy. After loading bait, Pat gave a very extensive fishing (and safety) seminar covering all aspects. Brian did a tackle raffle I won a spool of 20# seagaur flouro and some plastics. Everybody got something. Thanks for the goodies sfr.com.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Everybody headed out on deck to finalize the tackle and then hit the rack&#8230;..(Ice cold bunk room, Ahhhhhhhhhhh.)
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Day 1
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I open my eyes and another angler, Bill Myslevic, says we just got 6 dodo and a few yellows on our first kelp. Yeah right. No really we did.
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[​IMG]
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Bill Myslevic with a nice dorado. (Photo Credit: Brian Spayth)
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Oh, sweet, damn, how&#8217;d I miss that? Is this going to be one of those trips? So I get up throw on the boots and head up on deck. Next paddy I got a nice yellow. Ok, skunks off the boat.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Johnny laying one out

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Edith with one of many nice yellows. Edith can fish. She had 9 fish on day 1.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Deckhand Mike with a nice dorado caught by Gary Bobay
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">(Photo credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I got this nice yellow and Brian did a nice job capturing the photo. thanks Brian (Photo credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Mike with another headshot. He had several eye shots too. (Photo credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">We ended up finding multiple kelps the first morning all holding yellows with mixed dodos. They fish were chewing. Many times kelp fishing was soak type fishing, which I enjoy. It was also WFO at times, which I also enjoy. <FONT face=Wingdings><FONT face=Wingdings>J<FONT face="Times New Roman"> During the earlier hours while paddy fishing, I was hooking a lot of fish but was having malfunction after malfunction. For about 4 stops in a row, it was one of those trips. Pulled 2 hooks, broke one off, and for the first time ever broke a fish off at my spectra to mono connection (uni to uni). Retied a new top shot, cast a belly hooked bait, small back lash, while Im removing it fish swim in the props, tangles my fresh top shot all fubar in the props. It was literally 4 stops in a row.slap: <FONT face="Times New Roman">Then the bead luck ended.:notworthy Thank fishing gods!! I boated a few more quality tails and everybody on the boat was catching fish. Paddy fishing was reel good.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Later in the day we find several good schools of nicer grade albacore, willing biters. Man&#8230; if was WFO, every time we pulled up on marks, Pat was calling for small brailes or FULL brailes. There was one point when everyone on the stern got about 10 second shower of mist and scales from FULL SPEED brailes (god I love that). We ended with 112 albacore all caught within 3 or 4 hours, a few nice stops. It was wide. gunz :bablefish Death_To_ Death_To_ Death_To_

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Brian Spayth with one of many slugs

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Brian and Pat Cavanaugh with a lit up Albacore, dusk approaching

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Getting bent on a slug albacore with the new MXL6/4. I'm applying max pressure to the running fish. (Photo credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Captain Pat caught him looking. (Photo credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Paul Corsinita with his Day1 JP Albacore (46-50 range) A great battle!!
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">(Photo credit: Brain Spayth)

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Brian with another slug.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">This bite yielded some of the bigger fish. several 40# and one close to 50#.

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">As day turned to night, the stern gradually cleared until is was dark, the last of us pulled our soaked baits out. Chris was serving dinner, tri-tip, homemade scalloped potatoes and veggies, green salad first. Not just salad in a bag, but fresh romaine, tomatoes, cucs, and onions tossed in oil and vinegar. And the meat and potatoes were excellent, perfect medium-rare. Also, had 4 fish tacos at lunch that were bomb (rice and black beans), and not to mention a nice breakfast burrito, potato egg and cheese, fresh taters. Chris goes the extra step.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Great day of fishing and catching and everyone was pretty whooped. The boys stayed up late taking care of business with Day 1 catch. It took them hours.

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>[​IMG] Taking care of business!!

<o:p></o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Day 2
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>We fish paddies and end up with a spattering of yellows and dodos again. Fishing was good on kelps all trip and they were plentiful and easy to find. Everybody had their fill and it was time to head back to SD. Great group of guys and gal (Edith). Everybody got along and no fighting. No jerks on the trip. Nobody got hurt, and everybody ended up with a nice catch. I can&#8217;t wait for next year&#8217;s trip

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>[​IMG]
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Warren Spayth with a lit up Bull. Day 2
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>(Photo Credit: Brian Spayth)

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Day 2 paddy yellow, first fish of the day.

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>FINAL BOAT COUNT (2 days)
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>112 Albacore
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>56 YT
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>1 YFT
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>25 Dorado
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">If you are looking to get on a great charter I would get on this one. There were a few repeaters, but spots were sold this year. <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">G<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>o on sfr.com and book this trip. We need a few more sticks on this trip, and next years trip will probably only go w/ 17 guys. If you can&#8217;t make it on this trip, and have never fished with Pat or on this great little 65&#8217;, you must. The boat is awesome. Pat and his crew may be the best in the fleet, Pat is always involved in the bite, He takes light load trips, Great CLEAN boat, fishing handling is excellent, hey Pat where&#8217;s your rubber mats? Very clean galley, very roomy bunk room. Ice cold AC, extremely wide berths. Some say it&#8217;s a small bunk room, but it isn&#8217;t true. Only 18 bunks + crew, but the walking space and berth size is LARGE. They always have good food, and so far Chris, and Chuck were both excellent, seriously. Chris&#8217; fish tacos were bomb, and perfectly Medium Rare tri-tip, he&#8217;s a chef, and he&#8217;s funny and courteous. Shower on the boat, water maker, fish hold, and a damn nice little bait tank set-up. Holds plenty of bait!! A++ operation.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>On a personal note, I had a trip of a lifetime. Not necessarily in terms of the fish I caught, but the overall trip was excellent. The group of passengers were a blast to fish with. The weather was FLAT, it was ridiculous. I have some photos, not even a wind ripple on the water.

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>, but it was never blistering hot during the bite. Never wore a sweatshirt once. Fishing was WIDE, so wide is was sick. I enjoyed catching multiple tuna and large yellows on my Avet JX6/3 I love it. I popped the cherry on my new Avet MXL6/4 with several large yellows and several slugs. ALL the albacore on the trip were of grade. Nothing under 22ish. Mostly 28-35 with fish to 50ish. Yellows were large. We had many LARGE yellows, including one that looked like it would have been an easy 40# if it hadn&#8217;t spawned out, she was skinny. I never hooked a dorado, but they were all over the place. My belly hooked dines&#8217;, slid quickly, were yellowtail bit and I was hanging on fish while schools of dorado were darting around. I considering cutting my line on a yellow to go hook a dorado but decided against it because the fish felt heavy maybe a contender&#8230; not. Dorado were everywhere, it was one of those trips. The albacore bites were sickening wide. Every bait was a biter, 40# was full speed. Fished the 50# on TLD 20II after the bites slowed, never got bit. Fished yo-yo iron (blue/white 6xJr w/siwash), after the bite, no biters. Didn&#8217;t fish iron very hard. Never touched a trolling rig. I never fished any flouro, I fished all j-hooks (NOT ringed). All Izor Spectra rigs, with uni to uni spectra to mono connect. I fished approx 80 mono Izor clear(30#) and blue(#40) top shots. 118 mag hooks mostly 3/0 and 4/0. Bait selection was very important on this trip. There were many large brown back dines with red noses and bloody sides. You had to put some time into picking a bait.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>My final count
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>7 ALB
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>8 YT
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>During the trip and all the driving from Vegas to SD and Back, the ipod was rocking nothing but the following:
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium Mars and Jupiter (ON THE BOAT)
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>System of a Down: Toxicity, Hypnotize, S/T, Steal this Album (IN THE CAR)
    <o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Saw this sweet truck, a real beauty. New XRunner Tacoma, stock height in Avet blue.

<o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>[​IMG] </o:p>
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Photographic proof that Del Taco Barstow (Lenwood Exit) is not a myth.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Halloran Summit (Heading Home)

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>More photos can be seen at sportfishingreport.com --> photos-->by charter-->Pacific Dawn 7/24/06.

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Thanks for viewing!!!
  2. wahoodad

Great report. I've got a overnighter coming up soon with Pat and his awesome crew. Lots of headshots, but that's due to good fishermen laying out the fish for a nice gaffshot as well as gaffing ability of the crew. Nice pics, thanks for sharing your trip with us.
  3. WreckinBall

Flat calm, fish bitin' on 40#, and fish tacos for lunch? Sounds like a great trip to me. Nice photos, too.
  4. 1:11

Speaking of which, Chaz had thrip off. He was missed.

In regards to your day trip, shoot me a PM if you have a last minute spot you need to fill. Ive got at least a day left in me.

Thank You
  5. Tinknocker

Nice report and pics. Pat definitely runs a first class operation.
  6. wahoodad

Thanks Jason, last time we had a few drop out. Stay tuned, the trip is very soon.
  7. Mstonefish

Great trip, lots of slugs. Awesome pics
  8. wils

Thanks for the great report. :notworthy

I now have a better idea how to set up my arsenal on monday night for tuesday & wednesday fishing. gunz
  9. gonebendo

Great report man! Pac Dawn has a pro crew and good to fish from. Looks like a great trip, quality fish... I'm officially jealous. That must have been on long and tired drive home!
    Thanks for the report!
  10. medunn16

What a great report!!!Love feeling like I was there...Great write up,an awesome pic's...Headed out tonight....
  11. MikeyLikesIt

wow!

exceeeeeeeelant report and LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE ALBIES!!!!!
  12. 1:11

Slug central. I know everyones probably sick of hearing me talking about my Avets but look at those things. 30#'s everywhere you look and then some. 2 speed please!!!
  13. TheShark

Pat rocks!!!

Great report!