OARFISH at East Cape

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by bill collector, May 8, 2007.

Share This Page

1. bill collector

The oarfish came a shore this morning between Buena Vista Beach Resort and Rancho Leonero right in front of our home.
    It was a very rare sight that you dont' see down here to often.
    Rod.
    IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0672.JPG
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  2. pfish

Was it dead? Did they save it? Fry it up? More details......Thing looks pre-historic
  3. mercerm

Very cool fish. Thanks for posting that.
  4. bill collector

This one was barely a live when we found it. NO we didn't eat it, it's in a freezer over at Palmas de Cortez. We did contact Scripps they are very interested in it, along with all the pictures. It's really a strange looking fish and yes very pre- historic. Normally when they come to the surface they are either near dead or dead. They have one on the wall over at Buena Vista Beach Resort that came a shore about 10 years ago. It had it's tail take off but looked liked it was done some time ago since the skin was healed. There was some other bite marks on it. All in All it was something special to see.
  5. Wang949

hi rod

that thing is pretty crazy looking
  6. jesse

wow that thing is cool looking:0
  7. lilharcher

That thing is a freaken beast....straight out of the stone age. Do they get much bigger than that one?
  8. khmerkid

i think they get around 22 feet, and people actually sportfish for them...
  9. roxfisher

Must have been less close to death than the others they have studied. The coloring is phenominal.
  10. DOGHOUSE26

Hey Rod, Thanks for posting, cool fish and pic. I'm still sending guys your way when I can, is that OK?

Have the fish shown up in big numbers yet? I'm trying to hook up with Werner, he was up here T Sharkin last week.
  11. Saluki

12. bill collector

Hi Jesse
    wish you were here to see it. Sorry but you wouldn't be able to spear this one, this is once in a life time fish. Hope you come back down and stay with us again. you need to post your dorado picture you caught with us it was a nice one for sure. Tell you mom Hi from us
  13. horn toad

Awesome picts...thanks for taking the time to share. Cool of you guys to freezea and try to hook up the scientists at Scripps....those pictures are classic and super interesting. Like you said...once in a lifetime if your lucky.

HT
  14. umoa

i remember the last time they had one. there was a diver next to it and he was dwarfed by the oarfish.
  15. Stuart

Awesome! How in the heck do you sport fish for something like that? Don't they live waaaaaay deep? As remarked, the coloring on it is fantastic. The skin would make a wicked set of cowboy boots! LOL LOL
  16. Rubberhook2

17. speedgoat

That thing is bitchen. Any idea what it weighed?
  18. ideyboy

big one in my avitar
  19. the hook

"Although the larger species are considered game fish and are (to a minor extent) fished commercially, oarfish are rarely caught alive; their flesh is not well regarded due to its gelatinous consistency."

Can you free gaff those and eat the goo?

Reminds me of Beanie and Cecil...

hj