Newport Harbor Jan 1

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Father Ken, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Father Ken

Fished NPH for the third time in six weeks yesterday. Story is about the same every time. Troll crank baits all day, catch a lot of little fish, a few big ones, and drink few beers. All the usual spots were producing. The gas dock, the coast guard station, and the PCH bridge area. The hot lure as usual for the harbor was the berkely frenzy. Deadly. Lots of pick ups when I put the boat in neutral and drifted for a second. The last few times I fished the harbor the outgoing tide was good. Low better than high. This kind of contradicts what I thought I new about inshore fishing. I was always trying to hit the incoming high tide. Maybe trolling the harbor is a little different than coastal fishing? Or maybe it has been dumb luck? My honey hole by the Newport Auatic Center did not produce a fish yesterday. Very surprising!! That area has a deep channel. 15 to 20 feet. The rest of the area is like 5 to 10 feet depending on the tide. Alot of debris in the back bay. I am sure the rains today have turned the area into a sewage spill zone.
    Final Count
    8 halis - no legals
    12 bass - nothing over 2 pounds- 50/50 spots to sandies
    2 monster smelt
    1 bat ray approx. 20 pounds- First ray on the troll. weird. i was sure it was a big hali

Each trip out there this past month was about the same with a few legal halis and some real nice spots in the mix. All fish released. A great way to get in some wintertime "no brainer" fishing!
  2. JBait

Have you trolled during the late evening when it gets dark? I get most of my fish at night, but that's with plastics. I have not dedicated a trip to trolling but I might soon.
  3. IdahoSaltAdict

Looks like you were buisy catching. Nice report.
  4. Surg

5. Insomniac

Nice report good info have to try it some time down here in Dago.
  6. Thecommander

7. Ripnsumlip

Hey Surg......

I pm'd you....
  8. mullet

Post is only 6 1/2 years old
  9. mystikz2002

:rofl::rofl::rofl:I saw the subject and thought someone was drunk posting

That's def the case with the the commander haha

Good stuff
  10. Tunahead

HEY at least you had a fun day on the bay!! LOL
  11. 26grumpy

WOW....fishing WAS way better back then....or so I've been told.:)
  12. MAUINOKAOI

Sounds like a great day of fishing!