New Temporary Import Boat Permit for Baja/Mexico

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Hard at Play, Dec 21, 2011.

Share This Page

  1. Hard at Play

    I received info from the Vagabundos Del Mar a Mexico/Baja travel club regarding a new permit requirement fee from the Mexican Government. They require a Temporary Boat Permit for boats over 15 feet and were traveling to Baja or Main Land Mexico. I asked if the Permit was required if I was only towing my boat down for a few days of fishing, and was informed that it was. She said the permit is good for 10 years and cost about $45.00.
    Here is the website where you can get additional info.
    I towed my boat down to Las Salinas, Ensenada, San Quintin and BOLA and have never been asked for this permit. I think this might be new even to the Mexican officers. However I did read about a guy trying to rent a boat slip at Puerto Escondido, Baja Sur who was hassled because he did not have the Boat Permit. As they say don't kill the messenger. I have not heard of any other incidents and was wondering if anyone has heard of any incidents. I am not planning any trip right now and have not done any more research on this topic. I thought I would pass this info along in case anyone is planning a trip they could check it out and avoid any surprises.
  2. Johnny J

  3. aguachico

    I was with a a friend in La Bocana. He was able to obtain is permit info in a few days as they ovenighted him the info. It's not a big hassle or big cost. I will get mine when I bring the Grady back to the states next year.
  4. Bill Erhardt

    The Temporary Import Permit requirement for boats is not new, but enforcement is increasing, and more and more facilities are requiring that foreign boats have the TIP to access their services. It is different than the annual boat permit sited in Inoxicated's post which was abolished, and remains abolished.
    Ten years ago I towed a boat to Cabo and had to get a TIP before I could rent space in a boatyard there. Puerto Escondido, south of Loreto, is now requiring TIPs for any boats that launch there or use the facilities. When registering my boat in Loreto where I live with the Captain of the Port, which is an annual event, the first item requested is the TIP. And, I have been asked for the TIP when retrieving at Puerto Lopez Mateos on Mag Bay.
    To save yourself trouble if you're a foreigner and plan to boat on Baja get a TIP. It is quick and easy on the site in the OP, and the cost for the ten year permit is about $5 U.S. per year.
  5. Grand Grouper

    Thanks for clarifying the issue Bill. Happy Holidays to you.
  6. TonyC

    but as of june 2011. a deposit is required. you get the deposit back upon the return date on the import permit. you lose it if not. what is the procedure to prove that you returned to the states with your boat?

    here's the cost of the deposit: 2007 and later is $400 USD. 2001-2006 is $300. 2000 and earlier $200. this is on top of the cost of the import permit.

    has anyone done this. i want to get this import permit....just to be safe, but not sure how they get my deposit back to me. if i want it for 10 years....they keep the deposit for 10. any opinion on this?
  7. Bill Erhardt

    TonyC......Are you talking about temporary import permits for boats, or for cars, trucks, motor homes, etc.? I've obtained TIPs for three boats with no deposit required, but none since June. Other friends in Loreto, however, have obtained TIPs for boats through the online process in the past couple of months and have not had to pay any deposits.

    I just did mine from the on-line web site. FYI don't wait until the last min to do it! $50 service fee and yes it did say that a deposit will be required. I am guessing that when I get to the main check point south of Nogales is where it will kick in.

    After filling out the forms on line it took about 4 days and I got a letter from DHL with the permit and some more paperwork. This is where it got confusing.

    " Remember that according to valid laws once received the permit you have to send the signed Promise to Return Letter (attached to the permit) and copies of the documents you used during the application process for the tempory import permit for your vehicle to credit your legal stay abroad and the legal possession. For this purpose you have the following options."

    It then goes on to say you can scan the docs or mail them certified. At the end it tells you where to stop when leaving the country to get a return certificate. Not knowing what all they wanted in paperwork I just sent the signed Promise to Return Letter. They answered that they also need a copy of the current boat reg showing the HNI and a copy of passport. They haven't asked for the trailer papers yet but maybe later today I will get another email. I don't think you can send to much and next time I will be sending copies of everything the first time. The temp import is only good for the boat and trailer. I was able to do the temp import for my truck on line too but it can't be finished until I get to the check point. Might be another deposit? It was more of a pain for me to get them all the paperwork because I don't have a scanner and had to run around to friends for that part. Since I am leaving in a couple days it would of never worked to mail them using their instructions. Another thing, watch out for how they listed their email address. They forgot to put some spaces behind their address and the word "or" making it look like part of the address!!! Any how I will try to remember to update the process in a couple days when I get to the main check point. The marina in PV also said the permit is needed.
  9. TonyC

    @ Bill....if you go to the website, and after a few clicks, you get to the part about the deposit. yes, i believe this is for cars, trucks, and motor homes also. i'm going to get this temporary import permit, but i need to understand, or more information...regarding the deposit.
  10. No Bail

    From the web site:

    <table class="tablas" width="60%" align="center" cellpadding="3px"><tbody><tr><td>The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table class="tablas" width="60%" align="center" border="1" cellpadding="3px"> <tbody><tr> <td class="negrita" align="center">Vehicle Year Model</td><td class="negrita" align="center">Amount to be paid in Mexican
    Pesos based on applicable exchange rate</td> </tr><tr> <td class="normal" align="center">2007 and later</td><td class="normal" align="center">USD$ 400</td> </tr><tr> <td class="normal" align="center">2001 until 2006</td><td class="normal" align="center">USD$ 300</td> </tr><tr> <td class="normal" align="center">2000 and earlier</td><td class="normal" align="center">USD$ 200</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).
    Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.
    The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.
  11. billklaser

    If you go online to "" take the option for a boat TIP, it clearly details the process. There is no deposit required at this time, just the $50.00 fee for 10 years. On this site there is an English option, makes it very easy.
  12. TonyC

    go to that site and read step 3.2, maybe i'm missing something, or show where at that site it states "clearly" that no deposit is required.
  13. Bill Erhardt

    Clarity of the instructions notwithstanding, a U.S. couple in Loreto who want to have the option to launch their boat in Puerto Escondido applied last week online from a computer in Loreto for a temporary import permit for their boat which is also now in Loreto. They asked that the TIP be sent to a friend in New Mexico who will fly to Loreto New Years Day. Within days the permit was received via DHL in New Mexico. No deposit was required in addition to the $50 fee for the ten year permit, in spite of the reference in the online instructions for temporary imports for boats to deposits that are required for vehicles.

    This information is current as of today, December 25, 2011.
  14. billklaser

    Hey, if you want to pay a deposit, go right ahead!
  15. bobrehfuss

    So is it necessary to get TIP for my truck when I tow my boat down or is it only necessary for the boat? I have never had a TIP for my boat or truck and until reading this post I didnt even know it was required so this is all new to me.
  16. Bill Erhardt

    No TIP is required for your truck on Baja, or on the east coast of the Sea of Cortez as far south as San Carlos, Sonora.
  17. bobrehfuss

    OK thanks and by the way Bill, I love your Mag Bay Wahoo posts. Makes me want to get back down there everytime.
  18. baaadlybent

    I was under the impression this is only for boats that stay in mexico. Not if you are towing down for a week and returning to US.
  19. anglermgmt

    The reality is that, unless you are going to Puerto Penasco, all of Sonora is now being required to post the bond/deposit on trailers, RVs, ATVs, etc. The enforcement of it at the main immigration terminal on Hwy 15 @ K21 is very inconsistent; some people report bringing ATVs down on trailers without the bond requirement while others have been charged it.

    This bond is different than the 10 year/~50 dollar TIP that only applies to boats and RVs. I seem to remember reading on the Aduana/Mexican customs site that RVs/trailers weighing over 3.5 tons can get the TIP. But some have reported that ENCLOSED utility trailers have also been allowed to use the TIP. There are also reports of inconsistent enforcement of this on truck campers.

    Going south of San Carlos, Sonora, it appears that ALL vehicles are being required to post the bond and get an All of Mexico or All of Sonora permit.

    It is VERY confusing, to say the least. You could ask 10 different Aduana officers about the new laws that went into effect last June and you would likely get 10 different answers.
  20. TonyC

    i'm going to call Tomas in San Quintin, he's the secretary of tourism based in San Quintin. he's a good guy to know should you have a problem...he has helped me a few times. let's see if he can get some clarity with this matter, everything has to pass through san quintin.

    @ billklaser, don't get your "panties up in a wad", this is what this site is for....information.

    @ Bill Erhardt, thank you.