Neah Bay v. La Push Halibut

Discussion in 'Washington State' started by seattlehawki, Nov 28, 2012.

Share This Page

1. seattlehawki

My buddies and I are researching halibut options for this upcoming season; and would greatly appreciate your thoughts/ opinions.

Last year we fished halibut out of Neah Bay; but were thinking about a change in scenery this season. We've never fished out of La Push before. For reference to the questions below, we're in a 24 Glacier Bay.

- How does the fishing compare between the two? We normally fish around the closure area and on the map it looks like a shorter run out there from La Push.

- How far is the run to Canadian waters? Last year we fished U.S. Thursday and Sat. and Canada on Friday.

- How do the bar crossings compare?

- Is there good rock fishing relatively close to La Push?

- Has anyone heard any rumors about when the opener might be this year? Mid-May again?

Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!
    Fish On.
  2. silver slayer

nice report!
    ? 1 you answered yourself
    ? 2 look at a chart
    ? 3 neah has no bar
    ? 4 depends on what you think is good
    ? 5 way to early to get the seasons

just sayin
  3. Swede

- How does the fishing compare between the two? We normally fish around the closure area and on the map it looks like a shorter run out there from La Push.
    The fishing would of course be the same if you're fishing around the closure.

- How far is the run to Canadian waters? Last year we fished U.S. Thursday and Sat. and Canada on Friday.
    Pretty far

Neah Bay bar crossing is the most trecherous of all

I don't know, I don't fish for rocks.

- Has anyone heard any rumors about when the opener might be this year? Mid-May again?
    Maybe mid-july?

You need to introduce yourself first. :finger:
    Where's Mo when you need him...
  4. TunaHore

There are no halibut anywhere neah bay or lapush
  5. Siv

The guys are being a bit harsh but introduce yourself and you will get all the info you need.
  6. Elkfins

wow... tough crowd. about what i'd expect though.

How does the fishing compare between the two? We normally fish around the closure area and on the map it looks like a shorter run out there from La Push.
    shorter run from LaPush.

If you're planning on fishing Canadian waters, stay at neah Bay... unless you like to burn more fuel than necessary.

Pretty much cake at either port unless there's a big SW wind and in that case, LaPush can get a bit hairy.

Yes.

probably.

A couple of notes... unless you are first in line when they start taking reservations or a regular at LaPush it is much tougher to get a slip during the halibut openers.
    If the weather blows us out, you still might get the opportunity to fish the inside at Neah... you don't get that option at LaPush.
  7. Brabo1432

Both are good and seem to offer the same fishing. I like Lapush slightly over Neah... just seems that you get faster limits.

BUT.... i was thinking this next season getting my Canadian license and hitting that.

Can't beat the Lings our on the prairie though.

I've seen the bar at Lapush get bad, but then its closed. Neah you get to then fish inside.

either way is a good deal...
  8. bigdood

Sweet report, can't see the pics though
  9. Cap'n Coldeye

La Push can be very challanging at times. There is a guy that always shows up and ruins it for us. He shows up shortly after we get there, hangs out all night long and does not leave until early afternoon the next day. Then he shows up early in the evening, always right as the fish are getting cut. He moved the truck and boat so we could not find the dam thing, he also moved a door jam and my friend walk right into it. That jerk made us late to the fishing grounds, screwed us up at the launch, and tangled the lines more than once. Can't remeber his name or much else, but we got a picture. Watch out for this dude... Good luck...

[​IMG]
  10. Cap'n Coldeye

Found another pic

[​IMG]
  11. Genie Aye

La Push sucks---stay in Neah Bay---Honest eagle.

I just hope Billy is still in La Push or it will be all screwed up in LP Agian.
  12. Fish Slapper

Neah Bay has hotter women and better bars!
  13. Jermz

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That was some funny shit. Good thing he had lots of Pendleton that night. That might of hurt sober.:hali_olutta:
  14. caplka59

LaPush fishing from the quillute entrace is about 45 mile run...check out the closur map...most gus fish the furthest point SW....if a nice day...many boats...as of late smaller fish...far from Canada...big run...Rockpile offers greal ling fishing but a hook grabber....if the weather is bad...very tough boat ride out 2.5 hours...roller coaster return trip....
  15. TexMojoII

You mean the lead pile, ain't no fucking rocks down there. LOL
  16. Cornfed

Conrad -

#1: Read the posting rules (no inquiries on the saltwater REPORTS forum).

#2: You asked questions that you already know the answers to. You just need to think a little harder. And trust me...this will help you from getting blasted on an open forum.

#3: You have to give some to get some. You can't just show up and start asking for information. You need to develop an operating rhythm with this crowd. I.E. NO FREE HANDOUTS. THIS ISN'T THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

WELCOME TO BD.
  17. Marlin Mike

wheres the gate keeper?
  18. Jaksonbrown

Epic post!
  19. oldschool 1

No home Mo.. He is in Florida. That :finger:er
  20. seattlehawki

• Neah Bay v. La Push Halibut-framer.jpg
    • Neah Bay v. La Push Halibut-framer2.jpg