My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Wandering Blues, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Wandering Blues

For Xmas, my 15 year old son got an Avet SX and OC Rods 73MH. He'd been dying to take it out, but time just flew by. My good friend, Art, invited us out on his boat for a WSB session on Catalina.

We anchored up around 11PM and tried to make bait, but the squid were not cooperating and none of the bait barges had any. Fortunately, Art had been saving some fresh dead, so we were in decent shape. Baited up and went below for some rack time. The seas on the west side were oily and it was some of the best sleep I've ever had. Other than a 5' leopard shark making run, it was quiet all night.

About 6AM, just as I'm getting some coffee on board, my reel starts screaming. 2 minutes later, my son's reel joins in. Short time later, a couple of nice quality ghosts hit the deck. My son baited up and dropped again, only to get picked up almost immediately.

We cruised down the backside with some shorts and returned back to our original location to meet a buddy of Art's who graciously gave us about a 1/2 scoop of live squid. Once again Kyle hooked up to make his limit. Not a bad way to start the career on the new set up. Kudo's to Tony for making such a sweet rod.
    • My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod-wow.jpg
    • My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod-wow2.jpg
    • My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod-wow3.jpg
    • My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod-wow4.jpg
    • My Son Popped the Cherry on his New Rod-wow5.jpg
  2. Rjrolyn

WTG guys !!!
  3. TRICKY RICKY

Good Times right there.WTG.
  4. 26grumpy

Great post !!

Congrats across the board gentlemen !
  5. hucklongfin

Nice! Did he rub a little of the blood on the rod?
  6. spike

Very Nice!!!
  7. the Goodlife

Nice Job Dad! WTG :2gunsfiring_v1:
  8. Outlawman

Yep, there's a nice cherry buster.... [​IMG]
  9. low_blow

Congrats to you and your son on that great day of fishing. He will never forget his first.
  10. HUMMER DUDE

"Artie the one man Party" !

WTG!

[​IMG]
  11. sdfishkiller

I like this report alot!

Congrats Kyle on a limit of C-Bass.

Art looks like a fun character to fish with.

WTG Dad!
  12. Reel hip

Great on you for taking him too! I remember my son at 15 and all he lived for was fishing. Now at 23 and two kids himself all he talks about is wanting to go fishing. Time fly's, enjoy it. Good job.
  13. Tues

I hope you slowed the fuck down in your boat with your kid!

Remember me? 28' Paker? Lobster Bay? Cbass Tourney?
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  14. Wandering Blues

???? Considering I have never been out to Cat during a tourney, or in the last year for that matter, I can't say I would or could remember you.
  15. Tues

Sorry! You must not be the guy in the white shirt...He's knows us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost KILLED 4 people!

Nice catch with your kid!
  16. Wandering Blues

Cool. Sorry, I got a little wired up. :hali_olutta:On me if we ever cross paths.
  17. Tues

No, on me! PM Sent and best to you and your kid!
  18. TadyPaddy

x2
  19. TOEKNEE

Nice Curtis!! World's best Dad!!,"that Kyle's a Slayer !"..better watch it.. he's gonna out fish you!,Hey.. was it another light line senario..was it 20#?
  20. ambush1

nice way to break her in