Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by timkatzakian, Nov 12, 2007.

Share This Page

1. timkatzakian

Great trip down from San Diego. Lots of fish outside of Santa Maria bay. Birds and Marlin galore.

On the hook in Mag Bay, one of the guys goes out to take a leak at 1:30am to find 3 banditos about to board us in a panga. Probably to steal rods. These bastards had a nice quiet 4 stroke honda on back. They slid up with the motor off and we caught them right at the start. Luckily for us nothing was taken. We yelled at them and I shined our high power hand held in their eyes. They were swearing in spanish. Fuckers. They were lucky they did not get a spear gun through their fucking forehead or a flare gun up their asses.

More marlin on finger bank than one can imagine. We jumped in the water and swam with them. Almost better than catching them.
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2079.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2093.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2109.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2118.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2120.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2125.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2131.jpg
    • Mag Bay Warning / Travel Alert.-100_2132.jpg
  2. Ali Admin

Thanks for sharing.

Really sorry to keep hearing about crime down there. Especially in Baja Sur....

That's just brazen...
  3. El Jefe Grande3

Great pics/report and good for you for being aware.
  4. Surfdoc

Shit, is nothing sacred. Baja Sur even.

Thanks so much for the report.

I'm a believer in the Big Dogs belong on boats! Scrapps has a gnarly bark. Don't know if she would bite... but she sure as hell lets me know if anyone is near us!
  5. timkatzakian

Most people down there are good. We have been on that trip 4 times and we never imagined that someone would try and board your boat in the middle of the night to steal your shit. Especially in the middle of nowhere. They would have just melted into the landscape. What would you do? Nothing. Just say that you have been screwed. We had never heard of that happening. Tell everyone that you know to beware of bandits in pangas at night boarding your boat.
  6. baja tailhunter

the same thing happened to us on the big game 90 at cedros on 9-1-07
  7. Kevin J. Oliver

frig, brazen bastards ... what was up with that story, anything taken ?
  8. timkatzakian

When you least expect it, watch out. There are lots of pangas running around cedros and turtle too. Cedros is big and I could imagine that. It would be great to pull the trigger on a Riffe spear gun on one of those fuckers and pin him to the combing pad.
  9. timkatzakian

Does anyone know if you can shoot them or kill them if they board your boat? What is the law?
  10. JiGGZ

Don't know what the MEX law is but I know what the MAN law is. Picture your girl sleeping down below and a bunch of fuckin thugs board you in the middle of the night. You gonna be worried about LAW or making sure the bodies don't float to the surface before you get back across the border.

I can't believe they did it to the BG 90 with a bunch of grown men on board. They get caught and it would have been ON!!!
  11. Stick Time

Were you guys on the hook in Bahia Santa Maria, or in Mag Bay itself (like near Punta Belcher?)
  12. Fog Ducker

They might not have been after the rods, I hope somebody doesn't find out the hard way
  13. timkatzakian

Mag bay by Belcher.
  14. timkatzakian

I agree that you would be sharpening the cutco and getting out the bone saw.
  15. timkatzakian

Us 6 vs. 3 it would have been on all right. The better get a bigger fucking panga. Just keep your spear gun and your flare gun next to your bunk.
  16. Ali Admin

Still can't beleive this.

We never even lock the doors while on the hook at night.

I guess we will now.

Like was said above, hopefully they were just coming for the gear!
  17. timkatzakian

We had seasoned guys that had made the trip 6 times, my 3rd. We all were shocked. Believe it. Put your shit away and protect yourself. It was dark and we would have never found them. I guess you could turn on the radar and track them. Up at 1:30am we did not get it at first. You look out like a bunch of dumb asses then you get mad.
  18. Tinknocker

We have stayed in Mag bay a few times and never had an issue. Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely be more vigilant on future trips! BTW we also have spear guns and flare guns in waiting.:Rambo_Throwing_Kniv:Rambo_Throwing_Kniv It's the best we can do down there. :1041677399:
    However we do have a lot of great friends in Mexico. There always is a few who fuck things up for the good people.
  19. timkatzakian

I just want the word to get out that this kind of thing could happen. We all know that 99% of the Mexican people are good. It is a few assholes, like anywhere, that fuck things up. All who travel by boat and anchor up, dont leave rods out in the open.
  20. Stick Time

Thanks for the heads up. Things sure are changing down there! A buddy of ours in Puerto Lopez Mateos was lambasting a couple of (apparent) pangueros who 'weren't fishermen.' He explained that these guys take their panga out and steal people's shit, their gas, etc.. No wonder they just shrugged their shoulders when I asked what they caught for the day?! At least there aren't as many tweakers down there, right?