Licensing help in CA!!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by jswilkins0127, May 9, 2012.

Share This Page

1. jswilkins0127

gonna go shoot some yotes, and my buddy wants to go. he has no license and doesn't plan to shoot or even bring a gun, just wants to tag along. does he need a license to do this or will they say he was hunting by pursuit of game?
  2. DV8Pilot

He can tag along. He CANNOT touch your weapon or ammo.
  3. Bad To The Bone

Should not be a problem. In addition to what Dv8Pilot said, he should not operate any electronic calls or other luring devices you might use to call in the yotes.
  4. Baja_Traveler

Actually, he can carry your rifle according to the DFG in a certain circumstance. In an instance where you have taken game, and are actively dragging or carrying it out of the field, he can carry your rifle (preferrably unloaded).

The source is here, way down near the bottom: http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/
  5. jswilkins0127

thanks for all the replies guys, now its time to shoot some yotes!
  6. Bad To The Bone

Yes, there are exceptions to be made for almost every circumstance, but the determination will be made by the warden you encounter in the field. In the words of Harry Callahan,..."Do I feel lucky?..well do ya?.. My best advice is for your unlicensed friend to keep his hands off of your firearm. If you have so many piled up yotes that you can't sling your rifle over your shoulder and drag them out by yourself, let us know where you're hunting and we'll help thin out the pack. LOL
  7. aeon

Good luck and post up some pics :) welcome to the forum
  8. dano626

I took a friend who was not licensed with me last year during deer season. Basically they are a hiker, but as stated before to avoid ANY problems do not let them touch your rifle or ammo.
  9. QuackN'Smack

According to the regs, it is legal to use electronic calling devices to lure coyotes in...

§475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.
    Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:

(a) Poison may not be used.
    (b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
    (c) Fallow deer, sambar deer, axis deer, sika deer, aoudad, mouflon, tahr and feral goats may be taken only with the equipment and ammunition specified in Section 353 of these regulations.
    (d) Traps may be used to take nongame birds and nongame mammals only in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 of these regulations and sections 3003.1 and 4004 of the Fish and Game Code.
    (e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.
    (f) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any nongame birds or nongame mammals in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.
    (1) For purposes of Section 475, a “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot, shot, pellet or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.
    (2) Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to possess any projectile containing lead in excess of the amount permitted in subsection 475(f) and a firearm capable of firing the projectile while taking or attempting to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal within the area described in subsection 475(f). The possession of a projectile containing lead in excess of the amount allowed in subsection 475(f) without possessing a firearm capable of firing the projectile is not a violation of this section.
    Amendment 5-15-08, effective 7-1-08.
  10. QuackN'Smack

Here is the actual link to DFG website to back up the above statement
    http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx
  11. Bad To The Bone

"According to the regs, it is legal to use electronic calling devices to lure coyotes in..."

I didn't say that it was illegal to use electronic calls. What I said was " he should not operate any electronic calls or other luring devices you might use to call in the yotes."
    Doing so, might be interpreted as participating in "hunting" or "pursuing" and he would therefore be in violation by not having a license. Perhaps the intent of my comment was not clear.
  12. QuackN'Smack

Sorry, misinterpreted ur quote, my apologies. Thought you were meaning the use of electronic calls period, were illegal.
  13. Bad To The Bone

No worries...You posted some good info anyways. ;)
  14. dogwillhunt

could the non licensed amigo pack out game?
  15. BillP

16. Aquasport_20