Last winters upgrade project of The boat Hanna

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat' started by Captain Curt, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Captain Curt

Last winter I decided to bring my buddy Saluki into mine and Hanna's life. We had been fishing together for a few years and he knew Hanna well, (help me find her back in '98), and it was time to give Hanna a upgrade to keep her up with the times. She's a '84 24ft. Flybridge. Picked her up 9 years ago and have fished the shit out of her ever since. Have had her out around 130 miles from Point Loma chasing Tuna. So this is a thread of her upgrade last winter........

The first thing was to put a hardtop and a Stradaglass encloser on her so we would have to take all the saltwater in the face anymore.

[​IMG]

This was done by Tom of Saltwater Specialties. He does some real nice work.

[​IMG]

This upgrade has made Hanna a whole new machine. We use to come back from places like the dumper and Bell bank and just take saltwater in the face for hours. Now we ride in comfort.

This is what it looks like from the inside.

[​IMG]

One of the other problems with the old Hanna was she use to get a lot of water down in the engine compartment. This caused a lot of problems as you boat owners well know. After getting some great ideas from the BD board here, this is what we came up with.

[​IMG]

A lip all the way around the engine hatch and new rubber on the lid. This has done the trick. We get almost no water in there now. The other place water was getting into, was down below through the deck doors. So we installed these twist door latches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now inside both sides at this location we built new Battery boxes and fiberglass them in.

[​IMG]

We put (2) 12 volt batteries on one side and (2) 6 volt batteries in line on the other side for a house bank. More on the electronics later.

With the motor now out, it was time to put in a new "Y" pipe. Found it on Ebay used off a fresh water boat. It was in great shape. Plus with the engine out we put a bilge in the back where water never seemed to get pumped out with the stock design.

[​IMG]

Now it was time to tear out all...............and I mean all of the wiring out of Hanna. Kind of spooky, but once you start there's now turning back.

[​IMG]

One of the other problems we had with the stock design was the kick board under the dash. We were coming home in some real rough water one time and the whole thing fell down on or legs. We had wires and stuff all over the place. Here's the new design.

[​IMG]

The other problem was that everytime that you need to get up under it, you had to take out a billion screws. So two trap doors were installed into the new design.

[​IMG]

Also kicked out the bottom piece a little more for some more leg room.

[​IMG]

And now easy access.

[​IMG]

Then it was decided that Hanna would get a new dash. And I mean a complete new dash. So a cutting we went.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see we took out the glove box and this is where we decided to put both of our new radios. Now here is the new dash with gauges and switches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it was time to start installing all the new wiring and we left that up to a pro..............yes one of our own here at Bloodydecks...Don
    RAZ-N-KANE 27

[​IMG]

He does some damn clean work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All new wiring and lots of new additions like an inverter.

[​IMG]

We installed it behind the ice box along with the new on board charging system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to bring home the new motor.

[​IMG]

We intalled a water cool system on it. You just got to love what a new moto looks like on a stand.

[​IMG]

And had to clean up and paint parts to get ready for the install.

[​IMG]

We had Dan another one on our own here on Bloodydecks (Captdan) with installing the motor. He's got a killer truck to do the job. Plus he will jump in and help out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When you have the knowledge of Dan and the use of his truck it sure makes installing a new motor in the boat a dream.

Now it was time to do a little work on the outdrive...........and again we called in one of our own. Tim (Swazi). Something me and Saluki have never tackled and it was great having Time to give us a hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next upgrade from the stock Skipjack was a 2nd water pick-up. Now we can not only pick-up water from the outdrive (and if you wrap a bag around it your screwed) but from this 2nd pick-up and filter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple on more new upgrades were the removal of the stove (that we never used) and install a new microwave. Yea buddy, hot food on Hanna.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A custom built 32 gal. fuel tank. And most of you know why we did this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed shore power and 110 outlets.

[​IMG]

Then we installed the hardware on the Hardtop. Getting all that wiring through the tubes of the tower was some of the hardest work we did.

[​IMG]

By now you all have heard of Fishkiller "G" Brandons 6 year old boy. He was there for the whole project and help us out alot. The "G" man.

[​IMG]

This is me up in the helm with our new Raymarine C120

[​IMG]

And the project would not be complet with out the new NO DRUG sign. Hanna is a drug and alcohol free ride.

[​IMG]

I want to thank everyone who help out with this project, and you know who you are.............and especially my best friend Brandon that worked his ass off day after day and never gave up no matter how hard or tough it got through this whole project. It has payed off some much. We have been enjoying all the upgrades and everyone has been worth it.

Curtis.........

The boat Hanna......
  2. aloharob

Curt,

I remember you mentioning this post on that day I met you out at Cat and I've been looking for it ever since. I followed the threads you did along the way but this one really captures the HUGE nature of your upgrade. You and Brandon did such an outstanding job with that boat. She's a fishing machine for sure. Nice that you could turn to some BD buddies you trusted to help out on all of those elements like wiring, outdrive etc.

You guys deserve all that enjoyment (and all those bugs) after getting that boat into beautiful shape.

Rob.
  3. Captain Curt

The day you get to pick up all your new electronics is a day like Christmas.

[​IMG]

Here is just a few of them.

C120 Raymarine.
    [​IMG]

And a few extra's to go with it.
    DSM 300 Digital Sounder
    [​IMG]

A 1000 watt Bronz through hull transducer and B256 Fairing block
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for the GPS
    [​IMG]

A Simrad AP12 autopilot
    [​IMG]

2KW Radome Radar
    [​IMG]

Icom 402 VHF and a Icom 2200H 2 meter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure Brandon will jump in here and give you guys some more details. I hope this thread will encourage more people to post there projects up here on the board. It is where Saluki and I got a ton of our ideas.

Curtis.........

The boat Hanna..........
  4. Jaydog

AWESOME!!!
  5. Cory Admin

no redneck windchime pic?

Purdy boat you got there guys!
  6. Captain Curt

The next thing is the cosmetics. Thinking of a paint job something like this.
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[​IMG]

Curtis..........

The boat Hanna............
  7. bigbrownbuku

making your closed cooling sustem a full system will save you money in the future. call the heat exchanger manufacturer and ask if it has the capacity to put the manifolds on the coolant side.
  8. inSTANt bendo

Nice rig.......labor of love story to end all!

I think KCKev creamed his jeans on that last pic.:rofl:
  9. Ahituna

Hey Curt,

Nice mods to Hanna! PM sent...
  10. Swazi

Just goes to show ya what some hard work,careful planning and friends can do. Oh and don't forget a fist full of money. :_shopping

NICE!

[​IMG]
  11. sealskinner

Hanna looks great. May she serve you well.
  12. Saluki

It was alot of work........ but it was alot of fun too.

I learned a ton of things about boats that I never knew before.

Getting home from every trip and having a laundry list of shit to fix before we could go back out again was getting old. :D
  13. Mean-Machine

Wow hot food, fresh coffee new engine and electronics. Awesome Pics that is one bad ass fishing machine.:notworthy
  14. SALTYDAWG Advertiser

Repost:rofl: I still say you 2 charactors on a nice boat is like a diamond in a goat's ass:asshole:
  15. aclemieux

Great job, Curtis & Brandon. Thanks for the summary, Cooter. Very cool. I got alot of good ideas from your posts last year. Much appreciated. Your projects are inspiring and Hanna's looking sweet.
  16. Duramax

Very nice job, well done.
    Looks like you put alot of time,boold, sweat and $$ into it.
    tight lines and hope to see you out there one of these day's
  17. Ali

A hillbilly love affair is started.

I'm going to cry.....

:D
  18. Daryl Witt

How does that fuel tank in the bow make the boat ride? A couple of years ago I installed a Yanmar in my skipjack and the weight of the diesel fuel has my boat sitting a couple of inches deaper than the gas did but the ride I think has improved. My boat is a 1973 but I don't think they changed the design that much. Overall how does the boat sit on the water with all the new weight on it?
  19. Gil Marlin

That's some nice work and a lot of thought... I hope she treats you as good as she looks...
  20. Saluki

The boat rides much, much better now with the added weight in the bow.
    We use the trim tabs a lot less which now means less drag to put the bow down. We leave the fuel in the bow until the ride home, she sure rides nice now, even in the nasty conditions she's solid as a rock.