HX 2sp raptor for tuna ?

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by demoiod, Jan 19, 2012.

Share This Page

1. demoiod

Im thinking about picking up a HX raptor 2sp for tuna and sharks. I am looking for advice from people who have used this reel. I fish for sharks and tuna in Montauk on my boat. I am also looking to use it for long range trips out of San Diego this season. I know at 40# of drag at strike its more then capable but does it have the necessary line capacity ?
  2. paul708

HX with tuna est 300# about 80" about 500yds on it, bluefin OBX  3-12 800.JPG

getting ready to hit them again in march, they have already caught a few over 300#.
    we go in 6 weeks.
    • HX 2sp raptor for tuna ?-bluefin OBX  3-12 795.JPG
  3. saltwaterfish

can you = yes but there is a chance of running empty. I have one and fish it - holds about close to 550 yards of 100lb. If others are consistently pulling up 200+ I would probably use something with a little more line unless you dont mind throwing it over for a back-up rod.
  4. Locke N Load

Two different scenarios.

On a maneuverable boat, 500+ yards of line is plenty. Yes, if you fish in 3,000 feet of water the fish can sound, but more times than not you will be ok on the smaller boat.

On a LR boat, you could run into an issue with line capacity since you are not able to chase. I would still guess you would be fine most of the time, but if you run into a large or angry or both fish you are in trouble. This is true if you are using the HX, a 30W or even a 50W. Knowing the class of fish should make your decision on what setup to use.
  5. demoiod

thanks ... Anyone have any other advice ?
  6. baitchucker

I have Harry's sx raptor that he used to dragged a 128# YFT to the hook. It holds 275+yds of 80# braid (Harry had the braid on it when I got the reel). Personally, I wouldn't try it. But I know it was done. So there isn't any reason why an HX wouldn't do ya good on a LR as long as you know wHat you're tangling with. Here's something to think about: tossing dines all day with an HX or a 50w..... I hate working for nothing... I'll throw the HX
  7. baitchucker

I have Harry's sx raptor that he used to dragged a 128# YFT to the hook. It holds 275+yds of 80# braid (Harry had the braid on it when I got the reel). Personally, I wouldn't try it. But I know it was done. So there isn't any reason why an HX wouldn't do ya good on a LR as long as you know wHat you're tangling with. Here's something to think about: tossing dines all day with an HX or a 50w..... I hate working for nothing... I'll throw the HX
  8. demoiod

I think the raptor is also a MC as well. Another plus.
  9. Fishybuzz

Lots of cows have been caught with one speed Penn Senators with straight mono....would I Suggest using one...no. Heck they have been caught with Trinidad 20s does that make it a viable cow reels.

Capacity is only one issue.......if you start with 500 yards and are on a 100 yard soak you start the fight with only 400 yards...no bueno. I personally like at least 650 yards minimum on my cow reels.

Another issue is ability to turn the handle....40# of drag is more than enough but does the Raptor have the gears to grind a fish in with that amount of drag....I doubt it for most of us mere mortals.

IMO the HX Raptor is not a reel I would use when fishing cows on a Long Range Boat.....cause you never know when the fish of a life time will show up and taking a knife ton a gunfight is seldom a good decision. I know lots of people think of the HX Raptor is a cow reel..... I don't

For fish up to 150# no problem more that that give me Bigger reel.
    Just be careful with marketing hype......JMO
  10. demoiod

thanks for the info. I just think it would be a lot more comfortable standing at the rail all day with a hx then a penn 50 wide.
  11. Fishybuzz

No need for a 50w..... IMO a Penn 30s or Avet Pro 30 or Okuma Mak 20 will do the job much better than a HX Raptor .....capacity and cranking power is what is needed.

Standing at the rail with a itty bitty reel is just window dressing, IMO it is fighting the fish where the rubber meets the road and you will wish you had a larger reel....

One of my favorite sayings is......I have never wished I had a smaller reel in my hands when hooked up to a cow....
  12. Below Frigid

I put 3 cows in the boat with the hx raptor one on a Penn 30, 2 on a Avet 50, all on the same trip. lost a real big one at the gaff on the raptor do to the fish being in the water for three hours. It was one of the original raptors no handle up grade and stock gears. The 50 almost made it easy. I agree with David a Avet or Accurate 30 would be perfect. I did not care for the Penn 30 even though I put my biggest on in the boat with it a 235 on 80 lb string.
  13. Fishybuzz

I was on that trip and Jack did a awesome job landing those fish.....missed you this year we whacked em good.
  14. Wildman

The HX Raptor is one of my favorite Avets:Very fast retrieve (47") in high and plenty powerful (21") in low, making it a terrific yoyo jig and dropper loop reel. I'm an 8-day LR, so no cow-experience for me; but a BDer named fishybuzz (who has evidently been on a few trips :D ) warned me that there were some big, mean YFTs (125+) out there and to have plenty of line. Now, for any of my surface outfits, I have 500+ yards on them. -->(Fishybuzz, I'm still waiting for that fish to test out my reels' capacities, BUT an angler next to me on last years' July WW trip DID get spooled on an MX.) You'll fit at least 500 yards of 80# on the HX, and if you drop to 65# then maybe 650? 700? yards.
  15. demoiod

Here in NJ I don't even use my 50w's anymore. I use avet mxls and penn torque 300s on shimano tvc66h jig sticks. I can land 200-400# sharks faster on these then on the 50 wides. They are also lighter and easier to handle. I know sharks and tuna are two different stories but im sure that the HX raptor with 500+ yards of 80# with a nice rod will do the trick. I would bring a 50W just in case the jumbos roll in to town.
  16. Below Frigid

David are you switching to Okuma too? What did Wahoo do wit all his Accurates?
  17. mstrbaiter

I hooked a big one on Hx raptor at the lower banks this year. Not enough capacity. Sent it in with back up and then a friggin Cabo yacht drove over the line. Lesson learned.. Stick with the Atd 30
  18. Fishybuzz

I have been fishing the Okumas for a couple trips.....really like them but I have not made a switch ......yet......but they are IMO the best bang for the buck in big fish reels right now........you should give them a try...

I don 't know what Choater did with his ATDs....he was talking about selling them......
  19. Contender36

I fish in New York off long island and I love the Avets I have 2 30 wides HX 2 sp. my h
    HX Raptor 2 sp and Mxls and sx I fish the Raptor all the time great real for Bluefin have caught many bluefin up to 100lbs but this year the 2nd wek I'm dec brrrrr we were trolling for Bluefins tight off the beach we had a ballyhoo way back on the raptor on a seeker 60H pole and we had the heavy stuff out and don't you know it but the raptor goes off line peeling off the reel like theres no tomorrow so they reel the other rods and the fight is on 2 hrs amd15mim later we land a 170lb Bluefin if we had it on a Lil heavy rod we would have got it in sooner. But the Raptor held up just fine the best part about it is it nice and light.
  20. migelito

Have you thought about the hxw. It has more capacity than the 30 and still lighter. Match it with a PHD 700 3x now you have a super light setup