HUMONGOUS SEABASS LANDED!!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Uncle Grumpy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy Newbie

Name:
    Halboo
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Thought you might like to see some images of the piece of public art created by my good friend and neighbor John Warren which we installed today.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it's titled "Recovery" which refers to the tremendous comeback made by the California Giant Sea Bass since the ban of inshore gillnets a few years back.
    [​IMG]
    These gentle giants have been known to grow to 800lbs and are now 100% protected in California.
    As a kid I saw 500 pounders hoisted on a regular basis at the landings in San Pedro and San Diego just like the old B&W photo which is from Johnny's collection and was taken at the long gone Capistrano pier.
    [​IMG]

I helped out a bit here and there on this project and am really happy for John who after a long arduous labor of love, finally has his work space back.
    The rock is a custom made scrubbed concrete stone, cast by John and Don Wert from a mold that I helped John create.
    This Giant weighs about a ton and sits in front of the new Fire House in Capo Beach
    [​IMG]

(Right across the street from where Johnny's grade school used to be.)

John and Don are both experienced free divers; I prefer to stay in the boat.LOL
    Rock-n-Fish Website

2. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy
    I've seen them about 250 pounds at the Northern Channel Islands while diving.
    Nice looking piece of art.