How to slow a boat down for trolling

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by rudedogsurfrat, Jan 4, 2008.

Share This Page

1. rudedogsurfrat

I have a 16ft aluminum with a 30hp honda 4 stroke.
    When trolling for trout it is just a hair too fast to use spoons or flashers. It trolls the rapala well.

I can't put a trolling plate and don't have an electric trolling motor.
    I've heard you can use a drift sock. What is the setup for that?

Thanks
  2. tsuriya

3. Kurt

5 gallon bucket and a rope work to, just drill some holes in the bottom and hang it off a cleat down the middle. Put a small float on the rope near the handle so it won't sink out when you stop. I've seen guys put the rope down a couple pieces of pvc so the rope can't get near the prop.

wth it works :D
  4. WIDEOPENBITE

Take a fat guy fishing and seat him in the bow. Always worked for me.
  5. Keta

If you can afford it I'd suggest a 6hp trolling motor. I can troll dead slow with my 10hp but it's on a 21' glass boat.
  6. Jason Admin

Trim the engine up so it cavitates more.
  7. rippinlips

i have used 5gallon buckets with holes drilled in them
  8. Lou W

Throw it in reverse and backtroll
  9. rudedogsurfrat

so far the bucket, backtrolling and trimming up sounds good.
    do you just attatch one bucket to the cleat?
    My boat has no power tilt and trim so I would have to pull it up. Just gotta make sure that the boat is getting enough waterflow.
    I know the do alot of back trolling up north. Californians would think I was nuts.
    I don't have a fat guy to throw up front. Does anyone have a brother in law to lend out?
  10. Lou W

Sorry...no BIL to lend out. But I'd be happy to lend you my SIL. You will have to listen to her yap until you tie her off to a cleat and pitch her overboard to use as a sea anchor.
  11. Kareem Korn

I use the bucket method. I would'nt advise back trolling.
  12. DaGoose

The drift sock is clearly the best method. Trust me on this one....I slow troll all the time. I use a 32 inch drogue from West Marine and get 2-3 seasons out of one. Not sure if the one above will hold up over time.

Just tie the leading rope (sturdy) to your bow winch eye and the trailing rope (smaller) with extra scope to a cleat mid-ship. This makes it easy to deploy or remove.

Steering is a bit tricky at first but you'll get used to it.

Rick