High tide or Low tide????

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing' started by Turtleracer, Jun 2, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Turtleracer

I have a little bit of a delima, What time is better to fish? Low tide? High Tide? 2 hours before or 2 hours after high tide or 2 hours before or 2 hours after low tide? Please help still new at surf fishing.
  2. kelppaddie

Depends on what you are fishing for. If your fishing off the rocks in coves then you want low tide so it can be navigated without being sucked out. I assume your talking just about beach fishing for beans and bsp with a few others mixed in. I find i have the most luck when the tide is commin in and is going out. High tide also produces. It just seems like there is more movement going on at this time. Churning up more bait on the bottom. Thats just me and thats just where i fish so im sure ppl will have other oppinions
  3. JUSTFISHIN'

TIDE MOVEMENT MEANS FISH AND BAIT ARE MOVING, SOME OF THE BEST TIMES ARE ONE HOUR BEFORE HIGH TIDE, THE HOUR OF SLACK TIDE, AND THE FIRST HOUR OF THE EBB, ( OUT GOING TIDE ),
    INCOMING TIDE BRINGS BAIT FISH IN AND THE OTHERS FOLLOW THEM,,,
  4. cali_brn_bear56

BOTH!!!! The old saying one hour before until one hour past high tide holds true most everywhere. Yet fishing low tide is also very good if you pick the right beach and the right target fish. What works best for you will come with time and experience of YOUR area. When its low tide here in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties I know which beaches I will do well at during low tide, and which I will do well during high tide. My friend, time and experience on the water will teach you best, but pointers from fellow fishermen from your area will help point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you. Happy fishing, Cali Bear
  5. Mr. Fish

I like to get to the beach at the minus tide even though the crabs are harder to find (usually at the waters edge). Look for scattered V shapes. It is easier to see into the holes at the lower tides as higher tides tend to stir things up a bit and tend to sweep the kelp off the beach and into the water. If you are sight fishing then the lower tides make it easier to see the fish. I have good luck during the middle of an incoming tide.