Here We Go Again! 1984 Chris Craft Sea Hawk Rebuild

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat' started by Captain CABO, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Captain CABO

Here we go again!!!

Many of you guys remember may remember a thread a while back of this kid who bought a turd of a whaler and made it look shiny... well, it's time to do it again...

Old rebuild thread: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ch...8-1962-boston-whaler-refit-picture-heavy.html

After 2 seasons of getting slapped to death in my Whaler, I decided it was time to find something a little bigger to take offshore. (Being at the Hidden Bank in a 16 Whaler is no fun...) After searching countless boating websites, I came across this nice looking 1984 Chris Craft Sea Hawk. My buddy McKenna has a little Chris Craft center console 21 and the thing is built like a tank. After a few weeks of going back and forth on the boat, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it...

The start of the new project!
    [​IMG]

Mercury 250 (For sale if someone needs a motor)
    [​IMG]

Armstrong Bracket
    [​IMG]

Cool Kicker Motor
    [​IMG]

Big Casting Platform
    [​IMG]

Old Console (also for sale)
    [​IMG]

Cool seat across the transom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went and picked her up from her old house in Corona and splashed her in Newport for one last run before the makeover.

The crew for the day
    [​IMG]

Quote of the day from Jeff "I feel like an 80's drug dealer in this thing"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the seat to good use...
    [​IMG]

1st fish on the new to me boat
    [​IMG]

Put her back on the trailer and took her over to the warehouse. Time for the fun part!!!
    [​IMG]

I'll be updating this thread almost daily, check back to see how she progresses. Should be a fun and interesting rebuild to say the least!

Barrett
  2. Captain CABO

Don't ya just love that feeling when you start to take something apart and think "Holy shit what did I just get myself into?" Well... haven't quite gotten there YET but boy, this is going to be one hell of a project...

First thing's first, gotta make this go away...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had my trusty helper Ashling as well as a few other guys come and help dismantle the boat. Everything except the cleats (for the drive to the desert) will be coming off the boat by this afternoon (6/24).

Rails and top off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hola!
    [​IMG]

Tight fit...
    [​IMG]

No more pulpit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard working...and good looking too...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to lift it...failed
    [​IMG]

Ugly
    [​IMG]

Really ugly wiring...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting away!
    [​IMG]

I'll post up more pictures later, should be bare by this afternoon.
  3. Captain CABO

Forgot to add, Ashling went ahead and had some fun with the sharpie... what do you guys think??

[​IMG]

Barrett
  4. rtmorandi

that kicker is very rad! good luck with the project.
  5. KID CREOLE

Looks like you mainly have to re-wire and re-hose, hull and trailer look nice!

I've always liked those high bows on the Chris Crafts!
  6. Captain CABO

I wish it was that easy! Planning on taking the deck off of the hull, reinforcing the stringers and the deck, new fuel tank, new consoles, new t-top, new motor. Essentially rebuild the boat. Oh yeah, and repaint the thing! Should be a fun project.

Barrett
  7. Gil Marlin

Looks kind of like a Mako, that should be a great off shore ride. I look forward to more pictures of your gal working on that deck... :D
  8. Captain Curt

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Keep the pictures and updates coming. Would like to come down sometime and check out the project. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Give me a call.

Curtis............

The boat Hanna............
  9. brantc Admin

You have your work cut out for yourself, junior....

I'm sure it'll be nice when you're done....suerte, compa.
  10. eMan

you got a lot of projects there! How do you find time to work the job! With your planned upgrades, sounds like it will be a awesome fish killer when done! I had to laugh when i saw your wiring pics, kinda looks like mine, one of my projects to tackle. Have fun!
  11. Smudge

Badass Barrett!!
  12. Ali

Have fun with that shit junior.

Yikes.
  13. Fishbones

Sweet boat Barrett, a center console pilothouse would be killer.
  14. Trayscool

Nice project. Wish I had the patience and $$
  15. Great Escape

Good luck with your rebuild, that thing is going to be killer! Now if only I could find a little helper like Ashling on my boat project! Nice bro! Keep up the good work!
  16. Captain CABO

Had a slower day today mostly in part because I had to help my family set up for my dad's 60th birthday party tomorrow morning. I was able to remove all the hydraulic lines from the steering system, all the wiring and get the motor ready to pull off the boat tomorrow.

I unscrewed the console and lifted it off so I could get a look at the fuel tank. Boy was it pretty...

[​IMG]

Console removed
    [​IMG]

Good lord...
    [​IMG]

Old tank specs
    [​IMG]

Cleaning up
    [​IMG]

A look under the console
    [​IMG]

Ice Box
    [​IMG]

Battery Charger
    [​IMG]

My lovely assistant looking things over
    [​IMG]

As we were setting up for my dad's party, I thought that since I'm going to repaint my boat anyways, why not say happy birthday in my special way... What do you guys think???

[​IMG]

Barrett
  17. get some BD Pro Staff

Only a 60 gal tank...
    I'm assuming you're going bigger?
  18. Captain CABO

Oh yeah. Im going to cut the forward bulkhead out and get a longer tank. Once I pull this tank im going to measure the area and figure out what the max size tank I can get in there would be. Im hoping to get another 30 or 40 gallon capacity with the added tank space. Plus, a longer tank forward would displace the added weight of the 250 hp Yami four stroke thats going on the back end.
  19. Phat Matt

Barret

Love it...... keep the pics coming. I have 125 gallons in my 22.5 Edgewater.

Matty
  20. ALUMINATOR

Barrett, After watching your last rebuild I wouldn't miss this one for anything. Like your Dad, you have nothing but boating blood flowing in your veins. Have fun with this project and keep us all up to date! Save a few days for some tuna, I am sure there will be a few big ones this season.