help on a 2-speed

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by bradmaralbacore, May 21, 2006.

Share This Page

1. bradmaralbacore

alright so im looking for a two speeed reel. im am completely lost in this situation. im not the richest kid in the world so im not really wanting to go that expensive, but i want reliability i have been checking out the TLD's and the SLT tournament... anyone out there own one and can tell me how it is? im looking for a reel that holds large amount of 60lb or maybe 80. if anyones got a dope deal or discount somewhere, lemme know.:notworthy

2. Fishin4Life

Send albacore858 a pm .

3. Double Z

SLD 30 for the lower priced unit. AVET 30 for a more spendy model. After you fish the AVET, you'll put the SLD down a notch or two.

4. fully involved

5. HTA

What exactly are you using the reel for....trolling for albies, live baiting at the lupe, or fishing for cows? With a little more information Im sure with the talent on this site they can help you nail it down fast! Good luck and good fishing>

6. bradmaralbacore

lookin for the troll and the riggin live macs out of my yak for big stuff in mexico

7. albacore858

your not gonna catch anything big in mexico:rofl:

8. Kelp King

He won't, but I will (knock on wood). He just follows me around and takes pictures when requested upon. But seriously brad, when trolling you want something with 80# as recommended by almost all captains. Probably wouldnt wanna use anything more than 60 out of a yak. You have a job.. get a 60# and 80# rig.

9. albacore858

ya thats right you got a job go buy some sick ass avets

10. Marcus

11. Kelp King

Brad you better buy that SLD 30. they can freespool FOREVER.

12. albacore858

13. wardage

if you get a tld 30, do not fish 80# on it. the frame will crack from the drag pressure.

14. bradmaralbacore

right after you lick my fuckin nuts:finger: :104167739

15. albacore858

gay? gayz:

16. Saltiga50

bradmaralbacore,

What is your intended quarry for this reel?

Let me share something I learned the hard way. I have 15 KG, which I intended to use with 60lb line. However, Cal, who worked on it, told me to use nothing heavier than 50. I am fine with this, because a good 50lb reel is of benefit. However, I would have been better served with a 10 KG! I have since bought a 30 VSW, a totally bitchen reel. I might just have Cal trick it out to fish 80lb. Bottom line: research and buy the best reel you can afford. There is much to be written about buying a reel that will see a lot of use. And there is much to be written about buying a reel that will not break when you're miles from shore.

Assess whether you need a big reel. If you do, is it possible to use a boat's reel until you can afford what you really want?

I my about six years in this sport, the outfit that by far sees the most use is my 40lb rig.

My best,

Salty

17. sdangler

Avet 4/0 wide 2-speed. Fishes 80# on the troll no problem... I might even have on for sale here shortly all spectra's up and everything!

Mark