Help a novice understand reel size scheme

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by steamin53, Sep 8, 2007.

Share This Page

1. steamin53

I see references to reel sizes (especially penn) as 3/0 or 4/0, etc. As I'm trying to buy reels on ebay and not finding clear definition of just what the width/diameter of the reels are based on the 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 size scheme I'm at a real (no pun intended) disadvantage.

Can anyone help me with some dimensions that match the 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 sizes?

As a point of reference, I'm very familiar with the Penn 309, 500, and 501 reel sizes.

Steve
  2. Matrix

There is no real standard size from one manufacturer to the next when it comes to model numbering. They can be very close but not exactly the same. And many manufacturers have classic reels and new reels in their line up. The best thing to do is visit the website of each manufacturer you are interested in and compare specs.

Some model examples would be;

Penn Classic - 3/0, 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, etc.
    Penn New - GS525, 535, 545, 555 Torq 100, 200, 300

Daiwa Classic - Sealine 300, 350, 400, 450, 600, 900
    Daiwa New - Saltiga/Saltist 20, 30, 30t, 40, 50

Avet - SX, MXJ, MXL, JX, LX, HX, EX30, EX30W, etc

Shimano - See Shimano - Cycling, Fishing, Snowboarding , there are way to many

If fishing straight mono, a classic Sealine 400 would work for 40lb, but a Saltiga/Saltist 50 would be needed in the new line-up as these reels were designed for spectra use and have smaller spool capacity.

An Avet JX and Penn 500 have the same line capacity for 30lb mono, but an Avet JX would be considered by many to be a replacement option for a Penn 4/0. With spectra backing the Avet could easily handle 50lb line in a much smaller package. The same could be said about a Daiwa Saltist 40 or other similar size new generation reel.

Your best option is to visit the websites and compare drag ratings, line capacity and choose what fits your needs.
  3. steamin53

Thanks Tim. The problem I'm finding is that Penn doesn't use the 3/0, 4/0 teminology but that sellers on ebay who are familiar with it do. I'm looking for a used Penn Senator but don't want to buy too large a reel nor too small.
  4. Matrix

For Penn
    3/0 = 112
    4/0 = 113
    6/0 = 114

You are right, Penn has dropped the classic /0 name.

What are you looking to use it for and what pound line?
  5. Ali Admin

3/0 for 30# line
    4/0 for 40# line
    etc...

It's a good rule of thumb.