Group hug for those involved with the Texas Custom Rod Builders Show

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Silvia Davis, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Silvia Davis

I am still waiting on the photos for the show, but as soon as I get them I will begin posting a few up. I will build a photo page for the website as soon as I have them in my possession so that those who were not able to make the show will be able to get a glimpse of what transpired over the two days.

Let me tell you a bit about putting this show together and the great effort that went into it. I would have NEVER begun to put a show this size together 3 ½ months before show date except for the circumstances which made this happen. But that is what I had to work with and I got busy. The first vendor to sign on the dotted line was Bill Batson with Batson Enterprises. Thank you, Bill, for not only always supporting this craft but for having faith in me personally. The Batson and Bullard family have been around for a very long time and we both have similar goals, hopes and dreams for this craft as well as our mutual devotion to our spiritual faith. Know that when you do business with Batson Enterprises you are doing business with the heartland, the soul of this business. Thank you Bill Batson!

Who was the first person I asked for help with the show? Well, that would be none other than Bill “Saltydawg” Havens. I really don’t know how he is still on speaking terms with me! LOL I have driven him nuts and if he will be honest about it he will tell you I have and I am sure in a much more colorful way. We have spent countless hours on the phone with each other and then also on the phone with others and Bill called on many people in person as well. Bill, from the bottom of my heart Grady and I thank you more than you can ever imagine and it is an honor to be standing shoulder to shoulder with you my friend. Thank you Bill Havens! This show would never have had the outcome without your incredible involvement. Jason (with BloodyDecks) spoke with Bill and they hatched the idea of streaming the demos live from the show. Pure genius!! Because of this very long thank you post and its late delivery I have already made a post thanking Ali and Jason for their support and help with our show but once again a huge thank you to BD Outdoors.

Two more key players in the draw of this show, and they are Doc Ski and Jim Trelikes. Thank you Doc Ski and Jim Trelikes a hundred times over for the support and faith in what Bill and I envisioned and worked so hard to make a reality. Grady and I are not only so grateful for your support of the show, but are honored to call you friends. The amount of talent brought to this show, simply by those I have mentioned so far was incredible. It blew people away and when they got to meet these men with so many years of experience collectively and saw what good guys and humble people they all are…well, that was just icing on the cake for rod builders. Jim also did me a personal favor of building a pink cancer awareness rod which he brought to the show. We will be organizing a benefit where the rod will be center stage at a later date. Judging by the reaction of the crowd who viewed this rod in person there is no doubt we will have another winner on our hands. The rod is incredible Jim, just incredible. You outdid yourself on this. There we a lot of people who begged me to sell that to them outright for some big bucks so know that we will do you proud while helping raise money and awareness for this wonderful cause.

There were many things that happened which brought about the assistance from Tracy and Dana Read of the Brazoria County Calvary. One of those things is the fact that acquiring simply a name and outfit of anyone in the military is near impossible any longer. With their assistance, because of their personal relationship with those in the Lake Jackson area we were able to contact the families who know the Read’s and organize the presentations you saw happen at the show. Thank you Tracy and Dana Read! This group also raised money for us at their booth and floored us by handing over several hundred dollars at the end of the show…Wow! Huge thank you to all who manned the Brazoria County Calvary booth!

Once the show began on Friday morning something happened that surprised us all----the people began pouring in. I was being pulled in 50 different directions and so was Bill and suddenly I looked over and Dana Read had commandeered my seat behind a table and went into action. I am not sure she ever got up for the first day of the show. Three others who were helping her—help me—were Gayle Havens, Sophia Trelikes, Wacy Leonard and Jessie Leonard. The all ran themselves ragged helping out with the show, running errands or anything that required a special touch. Thank you Gayle, Sophie, Wacy and Jessie!

I will never finish this if I write a paragraph about everyone that was awesome in the creation of this show so I will condense it a bit to let you know the names of those that were just incredible to work with and those who worked behind the scenes to make sure this event went off without a hiccup.

• [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]Sandra Oliver – The woman behind the Lake Jackson Civic Center. One of the most professional women I have ever worked with.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

• [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]B[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]arbara Maclendon – The woman behind Texas Events. Again, an awesome lady who runs a tight ship and a very nice southern lady indeed.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

• [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]Ernie French [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]– with Outlaw Cookers. Ernie cooked a feast for us all at the vendors reception Thursday night. I believe that was the best BBQ and ribs I have ever eaten. Ernie you are the man!

• Gerane Padilla – The woman behind “Hotdiggitydog”. An incredible woman who not only fed all of us for two days but is also a Veteran and is studying to become a forensic analyst. (she and her sister were both rod recipients at the show) There is a laundry list of Gerane’s educational background.

• Wayne Shaw – of Shaw Visuals, who I personally have a crush on. Wayne stuck with us every moment to make sure that we were able to get the great quality for the demos which were sent to the live feed. Awesome job Wayne!

• Doug Kern and Rick Maxa of Fisherman's Landing for being kind enough to ship out four boxes of rods to be displayed in the booth with Jim Trelikes and Bill Havens.
    The rod builders…. There is no way I can ever thank you all enough for what you have done and the beautiful rods you have honored us with giving to our military. You will never know the impact that presentation had on the crowd of people and our military recipients unless you were there. For those who were able to make it, it was a memory etched forever in the minds of us all. Thank you to all who contributed to the rod contest!

Many were helpful and donated either door prizes or offered their help through discounts for our non-profit show. I will be posting their names on the website as soon as I can get them up. THANK YOU ALL!!

Now, for the one person who seems to be missing in many of the thanks I am seeing across forum boards---my husband, Grady Perdue. We have written one big check after the other which Grady backed personally. He has worked like a Trojan for no pay and little glory if any. I can say this without question—if at any point Grady had said enough is enough and put a stop to the financial backing of this show there wouldn’t have been one. Without him…there was no show. This is the same spirit in which he supports Bullard International and all that we support in this community. With every donation of rod building supplies or any type of support which has come from Bullard International on so many occasions—you have one man behind it…Grady. This support comes at a price, not one that Bullard International can support alone. We must dip into our own pockets many times during the year and I can promise it is not my personal pocket which opens. Thank you to my sweet and infinite patient husband…Thank you Grady Perdue!

[FONT=border=][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2] [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][SIZE=5][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  2. SALTYDAWG Advertiser

Silvia it was a pleasure lending a small hand in this successful event, and I thank everyone on your list, especially Grady and my wife Gayle
  3. Capt. G

Go Go Go. What a success it was.

Wish I had not that darn "Statuate of Limitaions" issues in seven states, or I may have been allowed into the USA. What ever happened to "Forgive and Forget"?
    Maybe next year...

Even the anonymous emails I got regarding the show were not that bad..."They said it would be a "great event", and it was only slightly better than "very good" ". And that is not really bad at all, now is it? Guess even the hayters ran out of hayterade on this one.
  4. tightlinemike

Silvia, I had a geat time at the show. It was indeed a pleasure to me you and see all this wonderful craftmanship. Michael
  5. SALTYDAWG Advertiser

By the way Silvia, ya need to give yourself a big pat on the back, you did the lions share of the work on this thing, while battling cancer and radiation treatments and various other attacks from a moron. Great job, and I got your back :D
  6. venturarodlure

First off great job Silvia. Sorry my phone died the other day, but I figured you had enough of my profanity laced conversation. I just say bad words alot..Anyway, you guys did awesome. Doc and Mr. Batson always answer the call and do it while having a genuine good time. Bill and Jim obviously represented So.Cal well. And as you said, but isn't said enough thanks to the silent assassin Grady Perdue.
  7. Rodcrafter

Silvia, You are one Class Act!
  8. JTrelikes

Thank you for all the kind words. It was a wonderful time and experience. Already looking forward to next year!! :D
  9. David Norton

Once again I wish that myself and the better half could have joined you all for this 1st event. I hope this year will be more favorable.
    A big congrats to all for such a great show, and I look forward to the photos.
  10. Good Wraps Bob

I wish my wife (Karen) and I could have attended, maybe next year. From personal emails. That I have received! this was a assume show with great demos and great People working in the back ground. As we all know this could not been accomplished without a GREAT LEADER an supporter who gives who encouragement to all she meets Silva is better than a class act, She is the number-one Act! those who try an better it. Well need compassion, love of craft , love of fellow man and be supportive with helpful hints. It well take a book to fill all these accomplishments. Silvia thanks for being my friend and a friend to all