Going out on the 13th on the Sea Adventure

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by jbthumper, Aug 26, 2011.

Share This Page

1. jbthumper

I am totally new to fishing offshore. I am booking a trip for 1.5 on the Sea Adventure 80 for the Sept 13th. I am going to end up renting all the gear (rod and reel) I see most ppl say to take 2 rods and reels, should I rent both? What tackle should I pick up or just rent it? I went out on a .5 day trip this month out of LA for bottomfish and was a little mad that the tackle shop where I rented my gear didnt mention that the fish were really going after a red jig. Anything else to bring besides the basics pliers, clothing and what not? Also what do most people fish in this time of year out there, shorts and tee shirt or long pants? I am trying to research everything to make the most out of the trip as I am going by myself and hoping to have fun. How much do you usually tip the crew on a open party boat?
  2. theclayishone

If you're renting gear I wouldn't worry about bringing anything. The crew will tie your knots and rig you up and unhook your fish, if you catch any that is. Definitely come prepared clothes wise. Bring jeans, shorts, and a jacket. Get some dramamine too so you're not chumming over the rail the whole trip. Eh, what else? Sunblock and sunglasses. Snacks. That's all I got.
  3. Ron1973

Tuna will be the target, becuase this is your first Tuna trip I would purchase a small pack of 1/0 Owner Mutu Circle hooks $6.99 at their local shop. 99% of the time you would not need to set these hooks, they set themselvs until you become better at setting hooks. Not sure what type of gear they will provide you either as far as rod and reel. I remember my first Tuna trip about 8 years ago, I did the same thing (rent gear) and farmed some fish becuase I was new to fishing tuna and the gear was sub-par. If you have the money, purchase a small used Avet reel MXL or JX, it will make a ton of difference when and if you hook up. Like Clayton says, bring dramamine and at least 2 pairs of everything including socks. If your cloths get wet, you would feel a lot better in dry clothes and socks!!
  4. mbtuna

The SA80 is a great, fishy boat - especially if Captain Scott is at the helm. There are about 10 "cabins" (basically 2 bunks with doors on them) and some open bunks in the center of both the bunk rooms. There are no sheets on the beds so most guys either bring some sheets or sleep in their clothes.

I totally agree with Ron about getting some owner circle hooks. Either 1/0 or 2/0. I use ringed hooks because it is easier to tie them on. A lot of guys say the extra flash may make the fish line shy. Also, do yourself a big favor and pick up some 30 # fluorocarbon and learn the Seaguar knot. If things get busy you'll want to be able to tie on a leader or a new hook yourself.

Have a great trip!
  5. jbthumper

thanks for the advice and I will learn the knot before I go out. How much 30 # fluorocarbon should I pick up? I am looking forward to this trip and hope to make it a bi-yearly or yearly trip. What other time of year is good to go out on a day to 2 day trip? I don't eat fish so mainly looking for the sport of it!
  6. j0shyman123

A 25m spool should be plenty.

The timing of trips varies from year to year. Generally speaking though, mid to late July seems to be a prime time to jump on a 2 day.
  7. Cartero

Flourocarbon usually comes in small spools of about 25 yards. The Seaguar knot is super fast and easy to tie when connecting mono to flouro.

If you go with the circle hooks (which I also recommend) Do not "set" the hook. When your bait gets picked up point your rod tip at the fish, when you think it's time, throw the reel in gear and immediatly start cranking the handle. Do not swing the rod trying to set the hook. Just keep grinding the handle. At first your line may start going on the spool. (That is any slack line that might be in the water.) When the line comes tight the hook is (hopefully) being pulled to the corner of the fishes mouth. Now the line should stop going on the spool and strart smoking off the spool. (you still should be pointing your rod tip at your fish and grinding the handle) Right when the line starts smoking off the reel then firmly lift your rod tip and load up the rod and then you can stop grinding the handle while your fish makes his initial run. If your line is not straight out in front of you (perpendicular to the boat rail) you should be moving your feet to get it that way while telling your railmates that you're coming through.

I wouldn't bother trying to amass a bunch of tackle for your first trip. You will be fine just using a hook with the live bait (flylining) and sometimes adding a sliding egg sinker (bring a few each of 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, and 3/4 oz). If the Captain or the deckhand says to put on some weight, then put on however much they tell you. I like to use Carolina Keepers to keep the sliding sinker away from the hook. The boat has trolling rods and jigs that you can use for that so when it's your turn to troll just ask a deckhand for one if you don't know where they are.

Check the boat's website for tackle recommendations and then shortly before the trip try and call the boat or the landing to ask if they know what they will be targeting and what special tackle, if any, you should bring. When you get on the boat make friends with the deckhands right away and find out their names. When they're not busy working tell 'em up front that this is your first time going on a trip like this and then ask them questions like: What size hook should I use? What knot do you like for tying that on? I've never heard of that, can you show me how to tie it?

Start practicing tying knots now. For the mono to flouro connection I would recommend the Seaguar knot and/or the uni-uni knot. For the hook knot I like the San Diego jam knot but the Palomar knot is really fast and easy to tie. There are plenty of other knots but try to learn a couple so you can tie your own knots. The deckhands will do it for you if they are not busy but when fish are hanging you will be on your own. Just google "fishing knots" and you can find a bunch of on-line demos of how to tie them and what they're for. Also, you should retie your hook after each fish you catch or any time you feel any nicks or abrasions on your line.

As for clothes, it can get hot out there but it's typically cool and windy and you will get wet. I like to bring clothes that I can layer up so I can peel layers off if need be to stay comfortable. You'll be hot at the landing but it will be cool and breezy when you get up to fish in the morning. No telling what kind of weather you'll encounter so be prepared for anything. Bring a small flashlight (headlamps are good for this) so you can dig through your gear at night if it's dark. Polarized sunglasses are really helpful. I bring a beanie (I have worn this for sleeping too if my bunk is right below an A/C vent), a baseball hat, and a brim hat with a chin strap so it doesn't blow away. Sunblock. Chapstick. A towel and shower stuff if you want to take a shower (the boat has showers). On trips that short I just bring flip flops and rubber boots. Some guys wear tennis shoes going out, switch to junkie shoes for fishing, and then back to tennis shoes for the ride home.

Try really hard to listen to the crew. They're there to help you. When you see a guy and you say to yourself "man, that guy's hooked up again" watch what he's using and doing and try and talk to him to see if he'll share what he is doing differently from you. Most of all, go with a good attitude. Sometimes the weather gets rough or the fish don't bite. The Captain and crew can't control that so don't let that be the determining factor for whether you have a good time or not.

Good luck and have fun.:hali_olutta:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011