G-Urushi with a "Twist"

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by JTrelikes, Apr 28, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JTrelikes

Well..........like I said in my last post, been playing around with variations with Cap'n G's beautiful Urushi art. This one I guess you could say is another "bowl of soup" idea, LOL

Urushi between some candy stripe thread that has som olive branching in it, separated by a bit of marbling to offset what I wanted to do under the guides......
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 028.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 029.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 031.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 033.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 036.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 037.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 041.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 042.jpg
    • G-Urushi with a "Twist"-G-Urushi 044.jpg
  2. 1:11

turned out cool, the urushi is quite pleasant.
  3. tloucks

JT:
    I just cant comprehend anyone having the advanced thought processes and ideas that you do. and then the ability to put them all together and create a rod like that.
    That rod is plain ass awesome.

Tom
  4. JTrelikes

Thanks Tom! How's everything been coming along with your work lately my friend?
  5. Zombie

Nice but where's the Mermaid?
  6. tloucks

Jim:
    Slowly but surely. I am working on another personal rod. an 8'6" Loomis blank that I will be using for so cal surf fishing. By no means comparable to what I see on this board,but I am still making progress. Will post up a photo when done.

Tom
  7. Pedro473

Superb Jim, you must have come close to running out of room to fit all that in.

Cheers
    Pedro
  8. JTrelikes

I'll be looking forward to seeing that one! :)

...........sorry Randy, didn't save as much space that time. To be honest, in both cases the photo inlays were after thoughts since these were both going up for grabs down at LB&T. So I got a chance to just do the improv thing. ;)

But you're right........I like the mermaid too! Much more attractive than a fisheye. LOL
  9. Wiseguy

Dam that's beautiful! It looks like you got that g urushi technique down really good!
  10. JTrelikes

Thanks Jimmy..........but I'm sure traditionals would say I'm not using enough black to really call it true "Urushi". Maybe Cap'n G will chime in and tell us. Whatever it is I'm doing here.........was definitely his inspiration. Brent's stuff played a huge factor as well. ;)
  11. fishinkid2010

That looks incredible! How many coats of epoxy went over that wrap to get it so smooth?
  12. bassmandan

Freak of nature. Nothing more needs to be said ;)
  13. Looney Tunes

Beautiful work all around. Plenty of possibilities with the urushi.
  14. Rodcrafter

JT, you friggen rock!
  15. jaycook

Outstanding Jim. Those gold leaf looking pieces right above the grip, is that the same thing you used on your soldiers contribution at the Texas rod show?
  16. JTrelikes

...........uh, lemme see here, three coats of finish.

And yes, those would be the same style lil' gold leaf thingy's from the Texas rod you're refering to. Damn! You guys don't miss a thing around here nowadays do ya? LOL

Thanks for the nice comments. :)
  17. jiggyn

another sick build
  18. YT Addict

DUDE!!! I'm not even worthy!!! :notworthy That is the ultimate compliment Jim. And this build is just plain mind-boggling to say the least.
  19. Capt. G

[​IMG]
    The whole rod looks great--especially the "eye".

Jimmy---not set formula for an Urushi....If you use some shell chips (or very thick veneer pieces), mixed in with paint (lacquer and pigments), you have the fundamentals for an Urushi. You can add whatever else you want.
  20. babachu

sweet-great combination of effects