Fishing by the Hawaiian moon calendar.

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Forum' started by cheehuli, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cheehuli

An excellent thread was started recently on another fishing forum I regularly participate in. It had to do with planning fishing trips around the best days indicated on the Hawaiian calendar for fishing. One of the members on that forum worked on some graphs indicating days and confirmed catches for one year. The information is by no means conclusive, but the possible trends toward good and not so good fishing are a little too interesting for me to ignore. A few days per lunar month in particular, have large spikes in Pelagic catches. I will not reveal what days these are for the simple fact that I respect his contribution and he did post it in the forums secret section.

The varied conditions on each productive moon phase day, in each month throughout the year, should be enough to rule out the argument that more people fish and therefore catch in favorable i.e. calm conditions. There were most likely a wide range of conditions/tides on the productive days throughout the year.

Does anybody here, weather and schedule permitting of course, look to the Hawaiian calendar for guidance to fish productive moon phase days? If so, how much do you think the moon phase affects your fishing? In my experience. When as many influencing factors are in alignment for a given fishing day, the results are usually fish in da box;) I thought we could start some discussion on the matter here....any takers?
  2. kapaafire

I take a look at the Hawaiian moon fishing calender now and then. I've heard a few things thrown around....such as 3 days before and after a full moon. My grandfather used to mention that as well for shore fishing. Might have something to do w/ the tides/current.

If you could provide a link would be interesting to see if it this correlates w/ this.
  3. grander007

I find the only meaningful independant variable for big fish is time on the water @ 1,000 rpm...

tight lines,
  4. nu2salt

there is a secret place on the forums?
    wow, how does one get invited into that area?
  5. russell kato

Hey Cheehuli-
    Check out my thread dated Oct. 01, 2009 titled "Question? Regarding the full Moon on page 7 . Although its not exactly the same subject it is very much related. Tough subject with many different answers. I used to believe that fishing on or near the full moon usually resulted in little to no fish caught. I also recall that according to the Hawaiian lunar fishing calendar fishing was not good and time should be spent on doing other things. Anecdotally, looking back at my fishing log for this year, I have had a total of 5 whitewashes of which 4 occurred either on the 2nd or 3rd day before or after the 1st or last quarter and only one occurring during the full moon. On the flip side, I have caught fish on 22 trips and they happened on every moon phase. So I quess you just got to go out and hunt them down :2gunsfiring_v1:
  6. kapaafire

BTW, the 3 days before and after are related to trolling for Ono. Personally, I haven't noticed a difference. If the fish is there and hungry they'll bite!
  7. dausualinc

I have studied the calendar a little, but never got too indepth. I also havn't found much corellation butween phases of the the moon and my personal catches. I believe that the phases do have an effect on the feeding habits of fish, its just that I don't get out often enough or catch frequently enough to draw real conclusions from those catches. More often than not when I hanapa'a I attribute it to being lucky or right place right time. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I think it is alot eaiser to make observations on fish behavior when you are in a very healthy eco-system, because trends tend to be more exaggerated. Its tough to draw conclusions about what colors are working, or moon phases when you string together two "white-wash" trips and another trip where you get a blind strike in the middle of the channel. <o:p></o:p>
    The most obvious example of this for me was when I spent a week on Kaho'olawe. I enjoy whipping for papio when I'm home on oahu but I usually don't get my hopes up too much and just go when I have time. we all know that reef fish often come in to feed on a rising tide and some like a high tide. However my catches of papio on oahu if I were to graph them would be very sporadic and not show very many trends because the sample size would be so small. However when I was in an eco system such as Kaho'olawe where there was a greater abundance of papio I was able to see some very obvious trends. For 5 days straight I probably fished for a total of 6 hours a day at different times of day and different tides. I probably caught between 80-100 papio during that week, ranging in size from 6" to 9lbs. All of which were released except a few that had swallowed the hook. From those fish I saw some very distinct trends. I saw the bite turn on and off like a light switch mostly corellating with the tide change. I could also see a definate color preference in lures with changing water conditions. In the murky water the rootbeers and blacks seemed to work well and in the clear water I had better success with silvers and clears. Over all the best bite came when the low tide was just changing to the rising tide. sometimes the bite would stop half way to the full high and often times the full high tide was the slowest.
    This is just some food for thought and these observations were strictly for that spot, at that time, and I'm not making any generalizations about fishing in general. One thing I can say is that during that one week period, through observation I was able to become a much more effecient fisherman for that given area, the other side of the island may have been a completely different story. I guess my point is such. As fisherman observation can be one of our greatest tools. That is what the hawaiian fishing calender represents, observations of what worked for them. There is probably alot that we can take from that, on the other hand, in alot of ways the environment that we fish in today is vastly different and the food chain has been altered greatly. In conclusion I realize that I don't really have one, other than the fact that I'm rambling. Burried somewhere in this text I had a point. Oh yeah, observe, learn, have fun and go fishing!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    • Fishing by the Hawaiian moon calendar.-747938127207l.jpg
  8. Seekin' Makaira

First thing to do would be join that other forum.
  9. kapaafire

What is the name of the forum?

Dausual,

Good points, I also noticed the best time to throw net is during a rising tide. The fish come on top of the reef to feed. This also seems true for shore fishing.

However, I've heard of guys talking about the "slack tide," or tide change for trolling.
  10. cheehuli

The forum is called Aquahunters. You may have seen various members in HFN with some great kayak catches. The forum is for those who pursue fish from man powered craft such as kayaks, OC-1's, other wa'a, rowing dories ect. If anyone here likes to do that, then give it a look. An informative forum and an altogether good bunch of guys. I think fishing from a kayak has helped me improve in my fishing mindset, from safety on the water, to hunting for the fish, as well as having a deeper respect for the power of the ocean and the fish that live in it. It's so different when you are out there on a tiny boat with no engine, compared to a diesel powered craft that can go out in 25kt winds and 6-8 foot seas comfortably.

That being said...good points guys.

Dausual, I found that whipping for papio at the slack low to rising has produced better than any other tide where I fish as well, same goes for near shore trolling with oama.
  11. munsen13

Good & Interesting Read Dausualinc.

I heard the same also, 1-2 hours before and after the slack low tide, but also for the high as well, but more on the low.
  12. drew2578

In old Hawaii the "master fisherman" would always say look at the current. If no more current, no matter what the moon phase, better to stay home.

This is sometimes puzzling for me cause I don't really know how to look for the current with my eyes. Any of you know how to gauge the current by look or feel? Once my boat is launched I'm committed to at least 8 hours of fishing :)
  13. Stink Finger

Works good on Maui