fileting in Cabo

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by jerryk, Apr 20, 2009.

Share This Page

1. jerryk

FRIEND JUST CAME BACK FROM FISHING CABO ,SO-SO RESULTS, THE PROBLEM HE RELAYED TO ME WAS THAT THE CAPT OF THE BOAT SAID NO CLEANING FISH ABOARD, PERIOD,,, WAS TOLD NEW RULES , FISH COULD NOT BE PROCESSED UNTILL IT WAS DOCKED, IF THIS IS TRUE I WOULD NOT WASTE TIME BRINGING FISH ABOARD, SEE YA
  2. muchopescado

Unfortunatly Cabo is way over rated these days and over priced. You will probably find out that they have arangments to clean fish at the docks and will cost you more money, and you need to keep a close eye on your fish or they may grow legs. I stopped going to cabo about 5 years ago because I was tired of getting scammed, from a simple taxi to a day fishing on a panga. I highly recomend Loreto or La paz.
    Just My Opinion
  3. ISLAND BOUND

Those are the rules in ALL of mexican waters, read the regs! Usually they will filet your catch when you hit the dock unless you catch a big one or too much for them to do then you will have to get it proccesed for more $ .

Cabo is not a cheap place to fish and would not evenbe on my top 10
  4. ironmaster

its all a scam!!!! The fishing is good! The people sometimes have black hearts....try to take advantage anyone on vacation. They think we shit money!!!! La paz is better!
  5. GiantSquid

Usually they will park a ways in front of the marina and clean there - they are usually rules against leaving fish guts in the marina, which is contrary to the rules. But yes, in theory you can't fillet at sea.
  6. pargon

All of our customers fish are filleted, cleaned up, vacuum packed, and frozen. Included. Go to La Paz.
    David Jones
  7. FAT CAT

The no cleaning rule has been on the books for years. It's only the enforcement that is new. The reason for the law is to insure the catch limits are not being abused, as it's hard to tell how many fish make up a cooler full of fish pieces.
  8. Fred Archer

The guys who are saying that the "no onboard filleting" thing has been the law for many years now are right. Getting fish processed in the harbor can be expensive and like some said, some of the fish can "walk" on you. And if you watch the work being done, hygiene might become an issue for you. The worst part of all of that is that many boats don't carry anywhere near enough ice to care for the fish in the first place, plus most don't bleed the fish either.

Virtually all of the high end charter guys that I knew took great care of the fish in the first place, cut the fish and sealed the bags (using water to force out the air) for you out on the water, rules or no rules. I imagine that some still do.

Pargon is right about his Fishermens Fleet operation in La Paz. The fish are well cared for while on the boats and as soon as they come in a true, professional fish cutter goes to work on them, produces beautiful, trimmed fillets and then vacuum seals them in very heavy bags at no cost to you! If you know what crews up here or the fish processors charge per fish for doing that work, I think you'll realize what a terrific bargain that is. I have a freezer full of dorado, pargo, cabrilla, sierra and tuna from there and it is absolutely pristine and the next best thing to the fresh stuff that I miss so much, not living in Mexico anymore.
  9. allelect

I have written Conapesca in San Diego, And they told me that several issues are being discoused for change and filet of fish is one of them. What the options are, and how to reasonable and being able keep track of limits. They told me gill and gut may be the only option for now! May we will see. SAC is trying!
  10. RedRumCabo

I run a fleet of boats in Cabo and all of our customers fish are cared for. If you have read this far into this thread, you know what the rules are, and like someone mentioned, enforcement is the issue these days. I won't go much further than to say, I completely disagree with waiting several hours to clean and filet fish caught out on the water. We use a commercial vacuum sealer and two deep freezers to make sure you are bringing back fantastic filets. We had over 50 Yellowfin on 5 boats today. We are reasonably priced (most Cali boats couldn't fill up for what we charge for 8 hours) and have had one of the best years in recent history. Cabo is and will continue to be one of the best sportfishing spots in the world. I understand a few of you may have been scammed here before, or have had bad experiences, but there are still great boats, Captains, and owners here in Cabo. Check us out next time you are down.
    www.redrumcabo.com
  11. gpomplin

It looks like a well put together class act will keep in mind next time there....
  12. ALUMINATOR

I have to agree with a few things said like the prices have gone up a lot over the years but if you do your homework you can find great boats and crews there and the fish haven't left yet!! You can get scammed in the parking lot at Home Depot too. LOL LOL

Keeping big fish cold is a problem no matter where you fish!

As for cutting fish on the boat it's their law but I like the idea of gutting and maybe even cutting the head and tail off so they might fit into a cooler.
  13. Bullshipper

I thought you could fillet onboard if you left the skin on for ID.

Learn something every day.