Eating Frozen Tuna Raw?

Discussion in 'Fishing and Hunting Cooking Recipes' started by matrix1977, Aug 20, 2009.

Share This Page

1. matrix1977

I have a question about eating frozen tuna raw after it's been frozen. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and I'm anticipating on bringing home some fish. If I was to freeze it properly and vacuum seal the fish. Is it safe to pull out, defrost and eat raw? If so how long can it be in the freezer and be able to pull out and consume raw?

Thanks for your help,

Tom
  2. Marcus

You can eat it raw. I personally won't eat anything that has been over the freezer for more than a month raw.
  3. Swarthy Dago

I've had fish packed like that for a year, trim it up a little to clean meat, tasted fine.
  4. Tues

defrost it first....easier to consume...
  5. Capt. G

Much of the 鮪 served in sushi bars in the USA is frozen tuna. If I had to pick a percentage (jut a guess) I would say 70% is frozen.

Here in Japan, it is about the same.

So, If you eat sushi, or even a seared ahi appetizer in a USA dining establishment, you have eaten frozen tuna, that has been thawed before serving.
  6. M/V Santa Rosa Advertiser

This is true, it is called saku which is a flash frozen CO2 treated block of yellowfin tuna. This block comes in one to 5 pound blocks, sometimes more.
    It is treated with a gas CO2 in order to hold the color of that nice pink that you see. Ever wonder why it does not taste like fish? Or better yet,
    ever wonder why some place can serve all you can eat sushi? Its cheap, and goes along way, it also taste like cardboard from a cutting table IMO.

One reason it is CO2 treated also is that it holds its shape well after being defrosted from the VAC/PAC and also in some case it is super frozen well below -50 which holds it much much better. Once CO2 treated it will hold that color, unlike fresh tuna which will lose its color within 4 hours of cutting..

As with fresh tuna, once cut on the table, you need to allow for what we call blooming, Its like if the tuna loin is a 1- or high grade number 2, we set it inside a cooler and see if it will bloom into a higher grade, if not we down grade the price....

The tuna game is not a easy one to play, one thing to do as anglers is eat as much as you can catch and enjoy all that you can rather then buy it from some one.

As in a place like those huge supermarkets, that sell a fresh tuna steak for $9.99 a pound, when you pick it up and you see a rainbow of colors you might want to think twice about buying that cut of fish.

Matter of fact, you might want to think twice about buying anyfish from any supermarket, and stick with places that do it for a living all year long.

POINT LOMA SEAFOODS
    BAY PARK FISH COMPANY
    PACIFIC SHELLFISH
    CATALINA OFFSHORE PRODUCTS

and places like that,
  7. the junky

Thanks Tommy for the info. I learn something new every day. When I catch a bluefin i try and keep itcut and vacum packed in a ice slush and get me and my freinds to eat it up so i dont have to freeze it. I love seared and sushimi.
  8. umoa

very cool read! have any buddies in the los angeles area?
  9. Bottom Line

The tuna is actually processed with carbon monoxide - not sure if carbon dioxide is used also but I used to get frozen sushi grade yellowfin and the label definately said carbon monoxide.
  10. ISLAND BOUND

Excellent post tommy! So what is the best way to preserve my yellowfin for sushi?
  11. Ali Admin

What Tommy said....

Also, trim up ANY loin you are going to sushi and put it on papertowels on a plate in the fridge for 2 to 6 hours.

This will pull out a lot of the moisture and make it easier and cleaner to cut.

The local fish we are catching right now will make amazing sushi if you follow these steps.
  12. Bigfish69

Good stuff guys,,,thanks.

69R
  13. Gil Marlin

I don't buy fish at the store anymore and rarely order it at a restaurant. It can never be as fresh or as good as catching it yourself, treating it right and cooking it before it gets frozen... Tommy sells the next best thing... :D