Double topped halibut

Discussion in 'Washington State' started by Chef Patrick, May 25, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Chef Patrick

My plan is that if I post a successful fishing report, I'll follow it up with a recipe. Last weekend I caught my first halibut, and here is my first recipe.

Halibut is my absolute favorite fish and the last thing I want to do is cover-up its delicate flavor. But, I still wanted to have some fun and add a little complexity to the dish.

Nice clean citrus flavors really complement halibut without overpowering it. I got my hands on some really beautiful blood oranges and couldn't resist making a salsa out of them.
    However I also wanted to add a little decadent richness, so I layered in a charred onion butter sauce.
    The result was a fun mixture of flavors & textures that still allowed the halibut to be the star of the show.

Pan Seared Halibut with Charred Onion Buerre Blanc & Blood Orange Salsa

Salsa
    3 medium blood oranges, cut into clean segments,
    ½ of one mango, peeled and diced
    ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
    2 tbs chopped cilantro
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped
    pinch of salt
    1 tbs extra virgin olive oil

Combine all the ingredients for the salsa in a small mixing bowl. You should also squeeze in any excess juice from the oranges membrane. Allow this to rest for at least 20 minutes.

Charred Onion Buerre Blanc
    1 cup dry white wine
    juice & zest of 1 lemon
    2 tbs heavy cream
    1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
    ½ medium onion, charred over flame or grill, diced
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the white wine and lemon juice in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 tablespoons.
    Add the cream to the reduction. Reduce it by half then turn the heat to very low. Add the butter, one cube at a time, shaking the pan, adding more butter as the previous one melts. Continue adding butter into the reduction until the mixture is fully emulsified and has reached a rich sauce consistency. Mix in the diced onion and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat but keep warm until ready to serve.

The Fish & the Finish

4 portions of cut halibut filet
    2 tbs canola or light olive oil
    pinch of salt & pepper

Dab any excess moisture off the outside of the halibut fillets with a paper towel and season them with the salt and pepper.
    Heat a heavy bottomed pan, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add in the oil and allow it to heat up, but do not let it get so hot it starts to smoke.
    Cook the halibut in the pan so that it's nicely seared on the outside and cooked to your preference within.

Serve the halibut topped with a couple spoonfuls of butter sauce and a liberal portion of the salsa.
    As you can see from the picture, I had mine with a little basmati rice pilaf; steam basmati rice with sauteed bell peppers and shiitake mushrooms.
    • Double topped halibut-Halibut Blood Orange-4.jpg
  2. Buzz2401

Looks good
  3. Glad Wrap

looks good, might have to try this one soon. Just have to catch a halibut this year.
  4. Tues

5. Clay

Looks good. Great pic too.
  6. dragonballs

ok enough stop stop looks awesome now I am hungry.:finger:
  7. Tower Todd

WOW! That looks fantastic.

TT
  8. T-Ripper

Pat,

Keep that action coming. Dudes on this board need to learn other ways to prepare their catch other than deep frying.

Good job-
  9. Clockwork

im sitting here at work eating my top ramen and i come across this thread. not cool.

looks outstanding BTW.
  10. Elkfins

Oh man. Looks awesome. Keep them coming. Forwarding the link to my wifee as that's way to complicated for my poor culinary skills.

What restaurant do you work at Patrick?
  11. Titan

World class! I'm going to try this with lingcod tonight.

Question about the picture: Is the topping the same salsa as what is in the recipe? I am seeing bell peppers there, but not mango pieces or onions...
  12. wdlfbio

You're going to be a great addition to the forum!!! We'll have to get you out on a tuna trip. Of course, might ask you to grab something outta the cuddy and then shut the door until lunch is ready:rofl:Something with 5-minute old albacore as the main ingredient:finger:
  13. BloodydecksOutdoors

now that looks tasty. feel free to send recipes to me and we'll post them up in the new recipe section of BD Outdoors.

Charlie Levine
    Editor
    charlie@bdoutdoors.com
  14. mdw

That looks great, trying it this weekend. I think you need to work on your choice of beverage:hali_olutta:, I noticed the can of PBR :shithappens: in your catch photo.
  15. Glad Wrap

So here is my take on this one.

I was short on a couple ingretents so here is what I came up with.

For the salsa I left out the celantro and added basil, crushed gralic, no blood oranges so small naval oranges is what I used.

for the sauce I used a pinot grigio for the wine. The first take on the sauce was a little too lemony so I threw in some orange zest and a little fresh orange juice. It help cut down on the super lemom flavor.

I didn't have Halibut so I used Mahi, decided to go with a sesame and ginger rice..........it turned out super great.

Doesn't look as good as the original but it was amazing
    • Double topped halibut-IMG-20110527-00450.jpg
  16. Chef Patrick

Sorry guys, I was away from the board for a couple days, giving some attention to the ladies.

Elkfins: I'm not at a restaurant, I own a catering company.

Titan: The mangoes got colored red by the blood orange juice, so they look exactly the same in the photo as the bell peppers in the rice. I know it's a little deceiving looking in the picture. Also, I slice the onions super thin, so they got a little lost visually, but they are in there. That photo is the exact recipe I posted.

Wdlfbio: Iron chef ship board? I'm up for it, if it get's me a chance to do some tuna fishing. ;)

Charlie: I'd be happy to.

mdw: You're not a fan of the champagne of beers? ;) I understand, I just find that super pale stuff like that great for when I'm out on the boat. I'm heading out tomorrow and it's gonna be Miller High Life! Although on shore, I'm a bourbon man.

Scott: that looks awesome! I like the changes you implimented with the ingredients you had at hand. Improvisation like that is the heart of good cooking.
  17. Sammy Hooker

You're HIRED Chef Patrick!! Wow!
  18. wdlfbio

Tried it on halibut last night. That was certainly some good sheit! Thanks for the idea.
  19. Offshore Ryan

Patrick,

Great recipe, thanks for posting. Keep up the good work.
  20. Fish_kid

So I confess to having much lower culinary skills than Chef Patrick... We had halibut last night, and I wanted to try a cool recipe like this, but wanted the easy way out. I found a great Pineapple Papaya Salsa ready made at the Metropolitan Market in by the fresh fruits. Did the halibut on my smoker grill with mesquite and apple chips, then topped with some of the salsa over rice. Tasted great!