Dog ear issues ? Water flow

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by superjet, Apr 28, 2012.

1. superjet

I hooked some dog ears up to my merc 150 saltwater and I ran boat for a short time and there's no water coming from the little exaust outlet? The water is coming out the sides of the dog ears but checked seal and still no water flow

Any suggestions? I thought maybe wrong dog ears or a clog in the system , or worst case the waterpump which I hope isn't the issue

The boat ran in a lake 3 weeks ago great and had water flow and hasn't Been sitting for a long time

Thanks any advise is greatly appreciated
  2. SauerFish

sometimes muffs dont seal right...try it again and see if you can get it to pee by holding pressure on both muffs with your hands
  3. superjet

Ok cool yea my dad tried that but maybe I'll try again, could it be the impeller I mean it is a 2003 so might need to be replaced

Thanks
  4. SauerFish

yeah every year or two and more if it sits alot
  5. plj46

Check to see if the pee hole is plugged up,the one on the motor,ive had it happen several times.If the motor doesnt overheat the impeller should be working.
  6. superjet

If it is the impeller , is it hard to change my self or better to have it changed by a mechanic
  7. agrazela

Are you saying the impeller hasn't been replaced since 2003?
  8. abdiver7777

Change your impeller every few years....

Another trick is to modify the ears so you can hook up the garden hose to both sides at the same time.......

I usually just take off the prop and immerse the lower end in a barrel and then run to flush for a few minutes till the engine starves of fuel...... that way no fuel is left in the carb for storage and no one gets to steal your prop........
  9. okie man

i change mine every year when i service the lower unit. not hard and will save you from buying a new power head.
  10. SeaHawk IV

I had the same problem with my Suzuki 4 Stroke. Changed the water pump, thermostat, cleared all water lines with a weed wacker line and still no water peeing. It would pee instantly when lower unit was submerged in water.

I solved the problem by covering the pick-up holes next to the water pick-up screen. The muff is barely covering all the holes and screen on both side of the lower unit. I'm also using the rectangular muffs that spray water on both side.

Hope this helps.
  11. superjet

Oh really maybe same case with my situation , I'm just going to get it in the water and check it to see if water will go through once the lower unit is totally submerged , it worked fine on the lake 3 weeks ago so unless the impeller went out during that time

I have the rectangular dog ears too and water runs out the sides so taking it in the water will let me know if I need impeller or thermostat
  12. JFK

Check the specs on your motor. Some motors don't pee until the thermostat opens, which takes a few minutes on most motors when the stat opens at 142 degrees. My Merc is like that. Impeller should be changed as preventative about every 200 hours...more if your boat sits for long periods.
  13. SeaHawk IV

If you want to run a quick check, remove the prop and dunk the lower unit in a city trash can. I use the blue recycle bin since it's fairly clean inside so no junk gets sucked in. Make sure the water intake screen is more then submerged and any other holes that may take up water. Keep a hose running with water inside the bin to keep it topped off. Crank the motor and see if it pees. Saves you a trip to the launch ramp and parking fee.

More then likely it sounds like the impeller is okay but you never know. To be on the safe side, I would replace the impeller just for peace of mind. It's a simple repair job and it will answer your question if the impeller is bad.

Give us an update after you get the motor peeing.
  14. castin crew

looks like u might have it coverd but one time i was on the lake and my 30 hp merc woulndt pee so i went over to the harbour and ask maechanic he walked down dock and shuffed a peice of bailing wire just barely in the hole and it instantly started to pee he called it a mud puppy said they make nests in small holes like that and he sees it all the time good luck
  15. superjet

Wow all great advise . Thanks guys!! the boat has only 167 hours on it only , it was flowing when I took it out for sea trial and it was even driven by the certified mechanic and they did a full on check of the boat and a sea trial , the mechanic said no issues that was in fresh water and about 3 weeks ago
  16. ShadBurke

Try pulling off the plastic screens on the lower intake where your dog ears are covering. Should be just one screw. This will allow more water flow to get into motor. This is easier than the trash can approach. My yamaha is the same way.
  17. SeaHawk IV

I'll give that a try as well.
  18. agarcia

My Suzuki did the same thing, weak piss stream on muffs. Changed inmpeller and thermostat with the same results. Turns out my zuke has a third intake screen under the planing fin that was letting most of the incoming water right out. That's why it pissed fine in a tank and weak on muffs. I just clamp a small piece of starboard over the third intake and it keeps the water from exiting. Make sure you have enough water flow to feed the engine.

And change out the impeller and lower unit oil. It'll cost you roughly 50 bucks and take about an hour the first time. Cheap insurance.
  19. JUST-IN-TIME

Use a clamp and lower the water pressure

Most bigger HP motors do not like the muffs
  20. superjet

Cool right on!! I took it out today, no flow right away my dad was bummed then I gave her a minute and water started flowing , ran great

Anyone know of a good place to take it for an impeller change?

Thanks again this helped me big time , I was going to cancel the run . hopefully this will help others too

Also after, I flushed it and the water flowed great through the pee hole just took a second