Cooking Barracuda

Discussion in 'Fishing and Hunting Cooking Recipes' started by Neill, Jun 14, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Neill

First of all, if your on a sportboat and catching barracuda your screwed, putting these fish in a gunny sack = fish mush throwaway....sorry but it's true and that's why this amazing fish gets such a bad rap...........

Immediately bleed, fillet and ice the fish.....

When you get home, skin and clean fillets....

Take some Siracha and mix with Mayo, coat fish and put on the BBQ, serve with additional sauce....amazing....

Crush up some Cornflakes ( or special K....:) ....coat fish with mayo and then crushed flakes, pan sear in butter/oliveoil......

If you caught female fish and harvested roe you can roll it in seasoned flour and cook over medium heat in butter/oliveoil mix...you cannot walk away when cooking roe, watch and turn...

Alex named them " seafood sausages".....serve with eggs, salsa and home fries....

Neill
  2. Gino The Bass

I may have to try this, I know they get a bad rep from improper care due to not bleeding.

Eating the roe might be kinda interesting!
  3. wsbkiller

Good post.
  4. Pangamaster

I have never had a problem with Barracuda on the 1/2 - 1 day trips. I do not like to freeze it though and will only eat it fresh. One trick is to tie the tail up in your gunny sack so the fish doesn't get bent. This makes it easier to fillet and also prevents the rib bones from puncturing into the gut cavety.

My favorite recipe is to marinate for 1 - 4 hours in Italian Salad dressing and then BBQ it.
  5. HTA

making a mono loop and hanging a barracuda by its tail is just 1 step to help keeping the meat firm. Keep the gunny sack wet at all times will help in the process. As for cooking we steak the fish at every knuckle along the backbone making the process very easy. Once steaked, chop up several cloves of garlic mixing with 3 oz of worschistershire sauce and 1/4 stick of melted butter and marinate 1-2 hours and drop on a medium heat bbq grill 4-5 minutes 1 side and 2-3 on the other.......its out of this world.
  6. Simon Bon Bowery

Yep I love cuda, it's top notch as long you can get it on ice.
  7. fishpelagic

I will get to try this tomorow night if I get the slime
  8. Trebo

Neill - A bit more info/detail on cooking the roe if you don't mind. How do you know when it's done?