color preserver question??

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by ronny, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ronny

ronny Nothin

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    none
    hi, what is the best color preserver to use that doesn't darken up any color threads. (especially yellow on a tan rod) When I used it on a tan rod with yellow thread, the thread turned gold color. Which is the best preserver to hold any color??

2. DocSki

DocSki Captain

Name:
    James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
    Boat:
    17' Carolina Skiff
    Hi Ron. I would say Flex Coat is going to return the color closest to the original. I have has some good luck with Diamondite CP but it will darken the thread a little. Try the FC first.

3. sasman

sasman Newbie

Name:
    STEVE GONZALEZ
    Boat:
    Yes large one please
    And dont forget to let the cp dry for a day. I didnt and got lots of little bubbles. Never try to get a rod done in a day. :imdumb:

4. Zombie

Zombie Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Ron,
    I use U-40 Color Lock and it has a tendency to darken a bit. Are you using nylon or NCP? I assuming nylon (hence CP) but I generally use NCP (with CP) on the lighter colors to hold the color a bit better.

5. ronny

ronny Nothin

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    none
    I am probably going to use NCP yellow size A with color preserver. I am putting the yellow on a tan blank and just don't want the thread to turn gold, like what happened to my last rod.. i want it to look like a bright yellow on the tan rod and not darken the yellow..

6. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Ron, you could also lay down a layer of White A thread under the yellow. That will tend to keep the yellow looking bright! Maybe try it on a test wrap to see the difference!.