camping and shore fishing?

Discussion in 'Camping & 4x4' started by mrjonez, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mrjonez

looking for a campground right on the water where i could shore fish at night for cats. Have any spots in mind? hopefully dog friendly.
  2. dru

Cibola Refuge, 30 miles past (east) Glamis on the I-78. Free and pay camping. Tweakers in the free camping sometimes....

Hidden Shores campground at Imperial Dam, 20 minutes north of Yuma on the CO river. The management there are fucking nazi's though.

Rio Bend RV park and Sunbeam Lake Park in Seeley, CA. 15 minutes THIS SIDE of El Centro, take Drew Rd off the I-8.
  3. @-EZ

Lake Cuyumaca. RV and camping sites right by the water. Doggie friendly provided it doesn't get in the water.
  4. Kurt

any of those full hookups?
  5. johnnylite

I hope we see some more the old motorhome could come out of storage.
    I can't catch a thing in freshwater but couple cigars, campfire, boat in fresh water sounds good.
  6. the hook

7. Luhr'd Away

Casitas. Very cool. You can also camp at Irvine Lake.
  8. Sluester

John, if you have the river stamp you can fish on either side of the river and all back waters on BOTH sides. No non resident fishing license required.....as long as you have the stamp.
    Wish they had that deal to hunt both sides. I have to have both hunting licenses and stamps (state) to duck hunt.

Fucking Squaw doubled their launch fee to 10 bucks. Hidden shores still charges 4 bucks.
  9. the hook

Hidden Shores ramp is terrible, plus you have to wait in line while the guy at the shack gives every car the full inspection. It takes less time to get on MCRD.

You could be wrong about the letter of the law on the CR stamp, Mike. Here is the quote from dfg

I will look into it further. BTW, I routinely fish from both shores, but with my boat beached on a sand bar or bank.

"Colorado River Stamp
    $3.00
    Allows an angler to fish from a boat or other floating device on the Colorado River or adjacent waters forming the California-Arizona border."

Of course, I hope you are correct.
  10. Sluester

I got my info from the Ca. Warden a couple weeks ago. He was with the Az. fish and game guy. That's good enough for me.
    I told them that they should have a "stamp" so I can hunt both side of the river without buying an Az. fishing license....yeah right.
    You don't need the stamp if you want to fish the canals on the ca. side. Lots of big cats and stripers in the canals, fish the bridges.

They've redone the ramp at hidden shores. Too many rules there now for me. If you go down during the summer holiday(s) expect it to nuts EVERYWHERE.
  11. catchoftheday

Lake Cuyumaca. RV and camping sites right by the water. Doggie friendly provided it doesn't get in the water.

ITS A NICE LAKE BUT NO NIGHT FISHING I WAS THERE THIS PASS SUMMER DOING SOME NIGHT FISHING FOR THE CATS WHEN THIS GUY CAME UP TO ME A TOULD ME I HAD TO GET BACK TO MY CAMP SITE . BUT IF YOU CAN FIND A SPOT AT NIGHT THERE WARE YOU WILL NOT GET IN TROUBLE THEY HAVE HUGE CATS THERE
  12. el Toro

I was gonna say Picacho. Cool campground and I've spanked the channel cats and stipers right off the dock.
  13. 1:11

Dont forget Lake Mead. Lots of camping at the shoreline all along the northshore of the boulder basin, govt wash area. Plenty of cats and stripers can be caught at night, see dogs all the time on boats and all over the shore. Plenty of partying could be done safely and responsibly all day long. Tough to beat what lake mead offers. $5 entry for your truck, and your good to go for 5 days. Head in to Vegas or Henderson for supplies at anytime if necessary.

PM me if you need help. I can tell you where to go to put together a nice campin fishin chillin trip.
  14. the hook

Thanks, Mike, for clearing that up. As much as you go, why would I ever doubt you?LOL If both wardens agree, it must be so. I read the AZ book, and got that impression, too- that you are ok with a stamp on either shore. It only makes good sense- which is why it is such a surprise!

Last time I went to Hitler Shores, they had paved half of the ramp and left the other half gravel and quicksand. I guess they used up all the concrete on the new store and swimming pool.

They sure do like to make rules!
  15. the hook

What's the water level like at Mead after the rains?

I'll go check YouTubeLOL
  16. popeye

serchligt Nevada right on the river
  17. Group Fun

Hidden shores is good, lots of rules, but it keeps the tweekers out... Nothing over 10 years old for RV's and trailers, quiet time 10pm, nothing wrong with that IMO... Besides, get to know the security guards really well, its nothing a few captain/cokes does not take care of :D
  18. drseiler

How is Senator's wash and fergison these day? Does anyone know. I have not been there in like 10 years. used to be great on the back side for camping and o.k fishing for cats.
  19. Sluester

Same as always. I don't know what they charge to launch at Senators. I know they charge 10 bucks at squaw and 4 bucks at Hidden shores.
    Gotta watch out if your camping at Senators, if they decide to generate power your boat may be high and dry or if they are filling it up you may wake up in water.LOL
  20. 1:11

1116.8 ft. Lots of snow in CO and UT. Lake Powell is at 3588 (i believe) and they are talking about 3628 this spring (wow), so im assuming Mead will get some well needed water this year.

Interesting things happening at Mead these days. Classified info of course.