California Hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fishing Addict, May 16, 2007.

1. Fishing Addict

All right guys... I have hunted before (birds like grouse, quail a few times) with my father. Who used to be a big hunter before he got old.
    That was along time ago. I am now looking to get into hunting like I am with fishing. I still need to get my hunting license though.
    Can you guys give me the "low down" on California hunting please?
  2. Vermonster

Dove Hunting: Really crowded, but really fun. A great non-stop experience on opening day

Deer: They are out there. If you don't care about antlers, you can apply for a doe tag (find out about areas around you), or a muzzleloader tag. Need to scout alot. The ones that do get deer pretty much every year.

Quail: Hit or miss. Can be really good, as long as you find your place.

Duck: Really good if you drive out to the Colorado river, or decent if you get in a lottery to hunt a local lake.

Turkey: Only a spring season here, but if you can get access to the land, or get away from the hunters on public land, there are many birds to be had......

My only complaint out here is the amount of competition. However, when you live near 3 million people, you're bound to run into some here and there. Other than that, it's pretty decent.

Hope this helps.

Sean
  3. Fishing Addict

Thank you, that helps a lot. How about other shit... like bobcat and what not?
  4. jephs422

non game animals such as coyotes can be hunted all year long. However, we have a self imposed season of late July to January to allow them to breed.

Bobcats you need tags for and can only get one pack per hunter which is 5 cats. As a liscensed trapper I can take an unlimited amount under my trapping liscense, but still can only have 5 with rifle tags. The season for them is Octoberish.

Red fox and kits can not be hunted, however Greys have about the same season as Bobcats, except there is no tag neccessary. The nice thing about non game is that you can spotlight them in most areas with a few exceptions and voltage restrictions.
  5. el Toro

Welcome to the frustrating world of CA hunting. Really what it comes down to is one of four options if you wish to have success hunting here.

1. You know somebody with private land that will let you hunt.
    2. You pay for access to private land and/or hire a guide.
    3. You get really lucky and draw a good tag. (this applys mostly to big game)
    4. You hunt unrestricted public land are willing to work harder than the next guy. You spend more days in the field, you hike farther, get up earlier, stay out later, glass longer, backpack in, spend more time scouting, buy the best gear you can afford, and have a high tolerance for boredom. You may go many days without even seeing, much less killing game. But when you do score, it makes it a true accomplishment and the feeling of accomplishment is second to none.

You asked a huge question and I could write a novel on the subject. Perhaps you could narrow it down some. What do you want to hunt and where?

You do need to start the process by getting your hunting license.
  6. jephs422

+1

We could go on for days, but like Toro said, first thing to do is get your license. Then figure out what you want to hunt.

For me, I don't do a lot of hunting other than predators, so I can't be of much help besides that. The only reason I have any luck every year with deer and quail is because I've been hunting the same spot for 20 years now, and well, I'm not tellin ya where it is, LOL:finger:
  7. Fishing Addict

Well I happen to have exclusive access to 100 acres of private property. However, it is about 12 hours North. So that would be a bitch of a trip. I have seen many deer, bobcat, black bear, and turkey there.

I mainly plan to hunt for deer and boar. So I was thinking of some more "local" areas.
  8. Dr. Fowl

Hunting sucks...Take up golf!
  9. Rubberhook2

The number one big game animal in California? Wild pigs. No limit, no season, no lottery to obtain a tag. Main density is in Central California near the Paso Robles area. Lot's of animals means high sucess rate. Guided hunts on leased private land relatively inexpensive when compared to other species such as deer or elk. Some public land hunting available but best opportunities are on private land. Good table fare.