Braided Line On A Baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by reelstory, Mar 23, 2008.

1. reelstory

I have a Shimano Calcutta 200B that I recently changed from mono to 20 lb. Power Pro braid. Being that I consider myself to be an intermediate caster, I still experience my share of backlashes, and I find with braid that it is much more severe than with mono. I am sure others have experienced the same situation, and am wondering if others were able to conquer the problems with braid, and if so what are the solutions? I do like the casting charasterists of it. Who found the solution by switching back to mono? Responses? Thanks.
  2. waruibozu

The only true solution is practice practice and more practice. On my baitcasters I solely use spectra. Just start of by turning some of the reel spool counter balance weights on and adjust the spool tension so the spool has some resitance and practice casting. Once you feel comfortable back off the spool tension and turn off some of the spool counter balance weights.

Back lashes happen to the best of us and yes backlashes with spectra are more of a PITA than mono.
  3. coryellk

I have been using power pro on baitcasters for years now. I find that you have fewer backlashes and wind knots around the tip if you use 30# power pro. It handles better than 20# and you still get approx 200 yds on a 200 sized curado or calcutta. I keep a few spools of fluorocarbon from 10 to 20# depending on fish and conditions. A 6 ft shock leader with a reverse albright knot in those line classes pass the guides without incident or casting degredation. Good luck.
  4. word-doctor

I'd suggest going with 30# instead of 20 as well. Be sure to albright a little mono to both ends. Good luck.
  5. T BICKLE

it took me awhile to get my citica adjusted with 20lb braid, but now i rarely ever get a backlash. if i were to to it again i would definitely go with 30# braid or more
  6. baeddy10

Turn your magforce up for now until you can cast with out the backlashing.
  7. Bassnwfin_S

I just spooled up a Curado 200 with Spiderwire's Ultracast which seems to be much smoother than the Power Pro. I was out in Texas and fished in a tournament with it. Conditions were windy and I only had one minor backlash. This stuff seems to cast much better. I used the 50# which is the size of 12# and got 125 yards on the reel. For local inshore stuff I will put a few feet of fluorocarbon on it.
  8. 1:11

A tip to help with spectra backlashes.... Bring some kind of a needle. I long needle, like a bridling needle, something with a point, you can use this point needle to really help get backlashes out. Its 100% easier to pick them out with a large needle. good luck. Also, tighten your spool so that when you put your reel in freespool the bait should slowly fall to the ground and not backlash your spool. This will help too. Spool setting is critical. Its amazing how many really good anglers and casters that dont know this.
  9. crazy hawaiian

Just remember to back off on the drag while fishing either 20 or 30# braid. The reel is not designed to handle that line strength. Use you thumb instead, but wrap some of that fishing tape on it or you will regret it later.

I've caught a number of large fish on my Cardiff 200, including tails and tuna, and I am still on the first set of drag washers. My thumb?, well it's seen better days due to forgetting to wrap it first. Kind of hard to do in the heat of battle.

The last post mentioned a needle as a way of removing backlashes. Instead go to a yardage shop and find a crocheting (spelling) needle. It has a tiny hooked end that works much better than just a plain needle.

After a few trips you won't need it at all.
  10. Fishrdan

Here's another tip for picking backlashes, push the line through the levelwind and out the back of the reel,,, so your picking the backlash out on the back of the reel. Much easier than picking a bit and then having the levelwind make a new one for you as you strip line trying to clear the backlash. I also place my finder in the loop of line in the back of the reel (the one you pushed through) and then strip the line through the levelwind.

This might sound funny, but I've shown this to a couple of guys and they were amazed how much easier it was clearing backlashed.
  11. reelstory

Well, I have picked up some ideas from you folks, and will stick with the braid a while longer and try to conquer the problems. I do plan on moving up to 30 lb. when I exhaust my current supply of 20 lb... I have been using a pair of forcepts as an aid, but agree that a needle of some type may be a better option.
    Thanks for your consideration.
  12. tap

I give a lot of on-the-water live instruction and work on a LOT of backlashes. Here's a few tips: 1. If you backlash with a lure in the water handline it in for safety purposes first-you don't want a strong fish to take the lure (even if it's just floating) and take your finger tip off while working on the Spectra. 2. Time is important on the fishing grounds and for bad backlashes (most backlashes can be fixed quickly using the tips provided above) I find that using a reel (such as a CT 400 or CTE 700) that has a quick take-apart feature allows me to remove the spool, yank off all kinds of line past the problem area, put the spool back in the reel and determine if the line is lined up with the level-wind movement-if not, take the spool out about 1/2 inch (disengaged from the gear) and rip off some line until they are in sync. 3. replace the spool always keeping the thumb bar (if it has one) that controls drag/freespool up in the drag engagement position (if you don't do this the reel will be in permanent freespool) as you tighten the lugs on the side of the reel. 4. Wind in the loose line under moderate finger pressure-this is where limp Spectra line comes in real handy. It should stay tangle free but if it knots up be carefull not to pull or it will get worse. Just gently separate and don't fight it. 5. Once the line is on I will usually run it out behind the moving boat a distance BEYOND where the backlash was and then reel back on to get rid of any kinks. The next cast should be beautiful.

Tony Pena
    "The Roving Angler"
  13. jesse

why not... once the braid is worked in a lil it will start casting like a madman:D
  14. boeing46

Many of the above suggestions are good but nothing works as good as tons of practice during the night and day in a noisy setting. Remember to stop the spool the second your bait or jig hit the water.
    I use to practice with a 1/8th oz. plastic thing made for practice when all we had was anchovies and squid.
    We all get a back lash from time to time but nothing beats practice at a casting pond or a big back yard and it's fun to. I still do it a couple days a month to keep the thumb trained.
    Mike in Garden Grove
  15. sandiegosteve

30# power pro helped me.

Outside of practice, the biggest help was making sure I had the stuff spooled on tight! Let a lot out, wrap it around a sock or towel and grind it back on the spool. Everything from casting to pitching jigs will be better.

Yes, the backlashes (to the core of the spool) suck ass. Bring a spool of replacement line if you aren't confident and only have one rod.
  16. basto

I find backlashes in braid are easier to untangle due to braid having no memory like mono has. Mono gets kinks in it which just don`t pull out.
  17. SD_Fish_Seeker

I know I never backlash when I focus... I mean truly pay attention to the entire process. Break the cast down and do it in sections. Visualize perfect casts and just will the thing to go correct.
    But I have to agree with some of the other posts... practice makes perfect!