AVET 50/02 HIGH SPEED!

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by straightup2222, Feb 7, 2006.

1. straightup2222

HEY GUYS,

I WAS DOWN AT SAVE-ON TACKLE TODAY CHECKIN' OUT THE AVET 50/02- HI SPEED. IT ACTUALLY HAS AN OPEN FACE LIKE A 50 SDS. HAS ANYONE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PUT THIS REEL TO USE, IF SO, ANY COMMENTS. BY THE WAY, THEY ARE SELLING THIS REEL FOR $615.00. ARE THERE ANY BETTER DEALS OUT THERE?
  2. jbarto

Not to sure on which model you are talking about. Is it a topless reel, or are you talking about the Pro EXW 50/2 which is a two speed reel?
  3. sdangler

I think he's talking about the SDS with the high speed gear on the high end... Like 4:1 in high and 1:1 in low.

Mark
  4. jbarto

5. jbarto

Thanks Mark! I wasn't sure as to what reel it was since Avet's web site hasn't been updated with the new line of reels. Thought maybe they had something else new.
  6. Old&In The Way

Myself, and my friend Ralph, both bought Pro EX 50/02 S.D.S. reels. Nobody had the 4:1 high-speed, in stock, so I called Harry, and for $50.00 each, he sent me the parts to convert both reels to 4:1. We used the reels on a Dec. Excel trip, didn't catch any "Cows", but had a chance to try them on the Kite, and Baloons. Loaned one to a novice, first time guy, and he caught a 224# in 12 minutes. We set the drag at 30 pounds. That was the only fish he caught on the trip. With 4:1 gear, it gets 45 inches per crank in high, and you can really get a lot of line in a hurry. Perfect for kite/baloon fishing, or when a tuna runs at you, and you're using circle hooks. Haven't noticed any downside to high-speed high gear, when you get hooked up, you shift to low gear anyway, so you don't use high gear to fight fish, just to get line fast. I think all SDS models should come with 4:1 gear, it's great for Stand-Up longrange style fishing, you can also use it for heavy jig fishing. We paid $499.95 plus $50.00 for the 4:1 parts. I think Noah's might have the best package deal with JB spectra included in retail price.
  7. RickO

Last May i was talking to Harry (Avet) abaout making a high speed 50. I mentioned to him that there was a need for such a reel because of the great big iron bite at the Hurricane Bank and Clipperton. At the time the only hi-speed reel was a Penn 50T that was converting by Cal Sheets. Many long rangers were paying between $700-800 for this reel.
    In one week, Harry designed the high gear 4:1) for the 50SDS. I was totally surprise on how fast he did this. I have been fshing large iron for many years. A faster retrieve usually assures a better chance of getting bit. If any of you ever used a standard 50, winding a Tady 15 heavy or a big Salas, this is very exhausting.

I recently came off a 18 day charter on the indy. I was totally blown away on how this reel worked. On my first cast of the night I was rewarding with a nice 201 cow. The reel worked great!

Rick Ozaki
  8. Surfdoc

Thanks Rick... I'm blown away that anyone questions Avet reels

Hope to talk with ya at length at the Ho show...

See ya

Stan
  9. The Notorious S.U.A

I was just thinking about this as several of my fish on the last trip came on the Jig. I stoked avet offers the high speed gears now, i think i should give Kevan a call in the morning.