Are Fuel Surcharges BS or Legit?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range Fishing' started by JBait, Oct 29, 2007.

Share This Page

1. JBait

Question. If the cost of diesel today was the same as the day you booked your long range trip and you were asked to pay a fuel surcharge for what was called "an alrming increase in fuel", what would you do?

a) Deduct $$$ from crew tip just because you think it's BS.
    b) Pay it becasue it it what it is.

Seems every time I jump on a long range trip, there is a fuel surcharge. I am paying it of course because I have no choice, the trip is next week. I guess that if we can afford the initial cost of the trip, whats another $100.00 bucks, right?
  2. spike

check out the price at the pumps, if you think the price is that alarming stay home. The crew of the boats are not the ones increasing the price of fuel so why take it out of their gratuity.

just my two cent surcharge, up your ass with a spiney bass
  3. wahoodad

I recently got rid of my Ford Diesel, looks like in the nick of time. Sheesh, see the diesel prices?
    Why take it out of crew gratuity? They have to put fuel in their trucks too.
    It is what it is: when you see the prices rising at the pumps, know a fuel surcharge is coming. Save a little more, or don't go as much.
  4. fishkillerbill

Bring out the popcorn and beer-this could be fun

My 2 cents worth-fuel-insurance-docking fees-operating costs-bait- rise every year-the boat owners get screwed by the landing owners which takes profit away from them--the normal cure answer is -well then raise the price of the trip--fishing is starting to out price the average guy and gal.Look at the boats leaving with a lite load or cancelled trips.Charging a fuel sur charge along with fish cleaning and tip are a few ways the captain and crew can keep some of their hard earned money without sharing it with the already too rich landing owners.Pay up or stay home-jmo

Bill
  5. Keta

Why short the crew for something caused by big oil's greed?
  6. branman

Look at how much you will save by not driving your truck while fishing.. LOL
  7. Duffy

It’s like the EPA charges we have to hit our customers up with for grinding hard chrome and the government regulated disposal and oversight therein.

Are we simply supposed to eat it? If we fold it into the per piece price we charge - we get blamed for spiking negotiated pricing structures.

What would you suggest we and the boat landing do with this extra cost?
  8. Kareem Korn

I think his question was if the price has'nt changed from the time of the booking to the day of the trip. Is the surcharge still necessary? Has the fuel surcharge become something else the costumer has to pay along with the price of the ticket, galley, fish cleaning, tips, ect...Next there's going to be a surcharge on bait along with the actual price of the scoop.
  9. wahoodad

Granted, he did state that in his first paragraph. Then he states in the 2nd that he gets charged every time he goes. So it's just a blanket complaint then, open for popcorn consumption :2gunsfiring_v1:

And besides, unless we own a boat, buy as much fuel as they do, how do we know what they are paying per gallon?
  10. spike

Most long range opperations have included a fuel surcharge to the price of their brochure. You must be alot more optimistic than I, personally I do not see the price of fuel changing.
  11. Duffy

When live squid becomes super scarce -is it not legitimate for the bait receivers to charge more for that rare commodity? I think, relatively speaking, the last decade or so is a very special time for catching fish offshore - with the technology, spirit of most crews and the finest fishing fleet (SD) on the planet to serve our recreation.

Ten years from now we’ll, maybe, be looking back on this era as incredible - because all of it will be out of reach or the asshole politicians will have been pressured into banning it by the folks in blue granny panties.
  12. Holi-e-Mackeral

I do believe that fuel surcharges are to be expected.. no one likes the last minute notification, but we pay the fees and have a great trip..

Now.....

I do have a suggestion. Guys get pissed off as they feel that the boats are profiting on the surcharge..

The boats could post a fuel price that the trip is based on. If the fuel prices rise above that level, then they could add fuel surchages based on the increase..

I think if the boats began this sort of policy, then this issue would go away.. guys would not blame the boat or have hard feelings. They would be angry at the oil companies instead..

Just an idea... I would not be surprised if some boats have allready done this sort of thing..

Jeff
  13. Double Z

Just take it out of all that $$$ you saved in reels and spectra.

Take care of my stuff cry baby...

BTW, don't forget they go to different pumps than you do. I wish they'd get their fuel in Mex. Maybe then the local pump will wake up... Ooops, Daddy owns the pump too...
  14. Keta

15. Duffy

Wouldn’t purchasing high-sulphur Mexican diesel kind of defeat the purpose of installing the modern electronic-injection engines retrofitted in the past few years?
  16. JiGGZ

I think they are BOTH BS AND Legit.

Very good points Bill and I Agree. There will be people who chime in on this who say Tough shit don't go then Blah Blah Blah but they may not know business. It seems that people are ALREADY doing just that.

I had 4 or 5 trips cancel on me this year and that has never happened before. With all of this out of control raises in costs there is really nowhere to hide the true cost of going out. It is like the Taxs are Low but now we will FEE you to death thing going on today.

People I know used to book 5 to 7 group trips every year and that is now down to ONE or TWO MAX. These new higher prices have change the way I fish for sure. It used to be ok to spend $$ just to get a stripe cause it was the FISHING I enjoyed. Relaxing ,playing cards and talkin shit in the Galley, getting away from it all. Now that is is so $$$ I actually WANT to bring home some Fish to I feel like I got my $$$'s worth. Look at the landings and you will see the numbers jump ONLY when there is a " FOR SURE" school the fleet is on.

I remember when I was a kid the landing at HM and Point loma etc. would look like a CITY lit up with thousands of guys and gals getting on Boats almost every weekend during the season... Wanna bet the Ratio of the common working man/woman on those boats has dropped Dramatically since then.

This whole thing will balance out eventually when the prices fall back in line and the powers that be decide that they want to cater to a MUCH larger segment of the public that doesn't have 300 bucks sitting around all the time to go fishing with.

SO to the "Fuel Surcharge" If it were the SAME on ALL boats ( it isn't of course) Then the TRUE cost of a trip would be known. I think for this to be a more Honest business the "SURCHARGE" should be included in the price upfront instead of after you get on the boat for many. I want the Captains and crews to make all the $$$ they can but if it is the Landing that is ripping them off then the fight is between them not the Riders. Keep up this course with the riders and then BOTH the landings AND the Boats will suffer. It is Funny how easily business' forget how they got where they are.

Or maybe it is a good thing... about 12 years ago after seeing just how much I spent on those boats for ONE year was why I bought my own Boat for the same $$ and didn't go on one again for 8 years and saved a TON.

Disclaimer: I KNOW every boat has different costs per ft to operate, fuel, crew, dock fees, insur, etc. Cost to be spread over per head cap. I did a whole thing for a foreign investor who I took out fishing once when he was in the US and thought it might be a good Idea to build another Indy type boat. So NO, I chose not to go into details that may also benifit the owners. This was just a General comment.
  17. Double Z

AAAannnnndddd what boat has those??? Not to mention the old stuff is better for the engines.
  18. Duffy

You’re not familiar with the State of California program to help the entire fishing fleet with the cost of switching out their old stuff for the modern type of engines then?
  19. Iron thrower

Here we go again. When the owners put up the trips for next year, I belive they project the cost of fuel an add that in. Now, the price of Oil has gone up almost double from last year. Today about 93 a barrel. Oil analyst have projected for 08 gas at middle 4 buck, 09 middle 5's We are talking govt. stats. If thats the case, you can expect FS to be at least 20 a day. When your running 80 gals a hr on the way down an then 40/50 per hr looking for fish, an running again at nite an back up, thats alot of fuel. They have to make it up some place. But then you add say average 25 paying riders. Thats 500 a day X 10 days or what ever. Thats some bucks. Do they burn it all, I don't have any idea, but you can all see boats going out short, canceling, an in the near future you can bet your last buck, some will be folding if this continues, ( fuel prices). All I can say, its only going to get worse real quick. Younger married people cannot afford to ride these trips. Us old farts are starting too get out of bed slower let alone fight 100# fish. So in a nutshell, They should just add to the cost of the trip, an take out the verbage of FS and this bullshit will stop. You knows its included, so you bite your tongue an then bitch about the price increase. Something NEW to bitch about. I am as guilty as the next person. So with that I will STFU

HOllywood
  20. newport local

I would pay it because it it what it is, I would never take it out of the crew tip. If you are gouged too heavily you could consider a different boat or landing if you became irritated enough, but the crew deserves every bit of there tip.