Anyone see one of these before?

Discussion in 'Washington State' started by Clockwork, Apr 14, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Clockwork

we got these pics 2 years ago about 15 miles out of westport of an ocean sunfish. fairly rough water made this thing look like a dead shark in the rollers at a distance. it was probably a couple hundred pounds and a rather incompetent fish. it would lay on its side and feebly dive a couple feet when we neared it. i read up on it and apparently sharks will bite chunks out of it occasionally which doesnt surprise me. would suck to hit it at full throttle for both parties. anyne else see these before?
    • Anyone see one of these before?-DSCF1164.JPG
    • Anyone see one of these before?-DSCF1163.jpg
    • Anyone see one of these before?-DSCF1165.jpg
  2. Tacklebox

I saw a baby one on the party boat a couple weeks ago. supposed to be a good sign of good fishing !!
  3. merlehumps

i have seen them outta westport more than once
  4. Cap'n Coldeye

Sun Fish.. "In fact, the fish is more threatening to boaters than swimmers, as its immense size and weight can cause significant damage when struck by watercraft. Collisions with sunfish are very common in some parts of the world and may cause damage to the hull of a boat,[29] and their bodies can become lodged in the propellers of larger ships."

wikipedia

Cheers
  5. TexMojoII

I thought that was a Mola?
  6. TexMojoII

Nevermind, Mola/Sunfish. Duh.
  7. TooManyHobbies

I was on my way back in from salmon fishing @ Westport last year, and tattooed one while running up over a swell. I had just enough time to cut the motor, so I didn't hurt it too bad. The funky thing was, as I stopped the boat and looked back it jumped completely out of the water. It only had a small nick in it's 'tail' from the skag... I'd have guessed it to be in the 250-300 lb range, but I guess they get a lot bigger.
  8. jbuck

There were a lot of them out there last year. Lots of sharks, orcas, tuna, and sunfish during the late summer August/September. Seen the tuna as close as 7miles off of umatilla for a day or two.
  9. bugging57

Mola. They are jellyfish eaters.
  10. lynndeva

I have seen 2 out of Dana Point...one was trying to eat a metallic balloon and one was being harassed by a sea lion..both very close to shore (within a mile)
  11. Reel 007

caught one on a jig a number of years ago maybe 150lbs, heard they are vegetarian but it was not snagged the jig was in its mouth (Catalina Island)
  12. penn25

Out here in my neck of the ocean they are called Opah and they are a good sign of something good to eat. You can see them or pieces of them in fish markets/counters.
  13. ShadowX

I highly doubt the reason the jig was in the mouth was due to an accidental snag. It probably thought your jig was a fish or a squid and ate it.

They are NOT vegetarian. Its a misconception. "The diet of the ocean sunfish consists primarily of various jellyfish. It also consumes salps, squid, crustaceans, small fishes, fish larvae, and eel grass.[." Their favorite food is the moon jelly fish, they will eat anything that they can chase down or is in front of them.

The TED video is interesting too since she explained the name "Mola Mola" is not actually a Hawaiian name, but a Latin word for "millstone" due to the roundish shape (3.07 in the video).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish
    http://www.ted.com/talks/tierney_thys_swims_with_the_giant_sunfish.html
  14. 4v1df12h1ng

I was heading back to halfmoon bay/pillar point from albie fishing when saw a large white spot from a distance mile away. Approached it and was a large sunfish/mola sideways taking the sun rays. It was huge, approx five to six feet across must be approx a 1000 lbs. I can see how that thing can bend drive shaft or props if you do not lookout for them. Most time it swim verticle can only see the dorsal fin will stick out above water....
  15. jesse

Mola Mola.... Bad luck to mess wiff :D Some people eat'm... ha
  16. swiveljig

I have seen them out of westport too, when I was younger and fishing on party boats, never heard of the mola name, have heard of them called an opah. Don't know if its the same or not, but the couple we saw were huge, 500 + lbs.
  17. Glad Wrap

I think the couple people that think these are Opah aren't looking that the pictures well enough.:_diarrhea_:

First pic is an opah, second is a sun fish.:finger:
    • Anyone see one of these before?-Opah-Images.jpg
    • Anyone see one of these before?-sunfish.jpg
  18. jaydawg77

I have heard they have a very very thick slime layer. One friend of mine swears they taste like lobster but I don't buy it. We've been seeing small ones everywhere the last couple of years just outside the kelp and the harbor even during the winter.
  19. abdiver7777

A big one tore the transom and outdrive off the back of my Skipjack about 10 years ago just outside of Dana Point.

Glad the insurance covered it.......
  20. jaydawg77

Oh crap, glad everything worked out! :eek: