Aku Boat Nisei

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Morris Lures, Apr 28, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Morris Lures

Was at Heeia Kea Harbor around 530 checking it out and i saw the Aku Boat Nisei unloading some big otaru looked like 20-25 with some big ones and small ones mixed in. Looked like they were unloading for a while but while i was there is saw them unload atlest 250-300 pieces.
  2. cheehuli

Yup those guys pound em pretty hard. They get good prices for their fish too, since they put lots of effort into caring for and storing them. My good friend used to hook fish on that boat.
  3. Morris Lures

Yeah all the fish i saw them off load looked like they took good cair.
  4. navyaircrew

Nisei offloading Otadu = crappy price for all other fisherman dropping off AKU here and there... You could catch an AKU and pet it, feed it, keep it in an aquarium then drop it off fresh at the block and you'd still get a lower price then they get for their fish...
  5. East Side

If get Kula kai's fish at the auction you'd make out alright...most the time i see their loads @ the block suckin fish look HAD IT, almost no comparison between the two boats.

But honestly i think it's a mistake for anyone to be taking any aku or shibi under 10lbs. It's easier to just create a relastionship with a market...some places will give you decent coin you just gotta look & talk story. For example i get $2-2.50lb set price where i go...now tell me auction is gonna give you $2 on average for mice? Thier gonna cater to the longline boy$ 9 times outta 10.

Just a heads up!
  6. popoki

no forget guys that work the Nisei are doing for a living, not as a supplement or rec buisiness
  7. navyaircrew

i'm not knocking the Nisei at all.... they do what they do... with so few AKU boats now, i think it's the only one left... but as mentioned... i haven't beaten down the bushes to find a steady buyer at a even keel price... just want what is fair to replenish fuel.. that's all... one weekend it's $2.90 or more... next it's .80 so... geez...
  8. jeffhi

Thats a good point, those guys do it every day to put food on the table...not for fun. Those aku boats are a cool part of Hawaii's fishing history too, awesome to see them in action once in a while.

I think the block likes consistency in their fish quality, thats one of the (many) reasons the LL and aku boats get consistently higher pricing on their fish. With the small boats, there is so much variability in handling practices and icing, etc, buyers probably feel like its a bigger risk, especially with tunas.

I probably opened a can of worms here, sorry to jack the thread!
  9. cheehuli

No kidding! Da Kula Kai does not give a damn about providing a good product to the market. They don't put the fish away until they are pau hooking! My good friend I mentioned before worked on both of these boats and said it's like night and day between the two. Apparently the Kula Kai is just another Batu statistic now......very sad to see a boat with such nostalgia being given a bad rep.
  10. invictus

Help out a Ha'ole, what type of fish in an Otaru? Know a Aku is what we call a Skippy.
  11. Smudge

Otaru is a BIG skippy. 20+lbs. Aku is a little one.... Poke, sashimi and fried aku bones!!! I'm hungry!
  12. jagerhunchback

it's not so much a consistency issue as they fish brokers get to check out the quality of the fish. i believe its more of a bruddah bruddah da kine hook up for the LL boats seeing as how the oahu charter fleet gets gang raped at auction vs. the LL fleet. best bet for profit is to just fish mahimahis or onos or find your own market on oahu and sell to restaurants/buyers direct. its the convenience of the block that keeps everyone going there.
  13. popoki

its definately a consistency thing, anybody who has a market for anything in the world will always go to the guy who can provide the best product for the cheapest price consistently. with that said I'm sure the Skip of the Nisei has built a rep with someone at the block, he would be a fool not to. the best way I can analagize this is, its like taking a knife to a gun fight you might win everynow and then but the guns gonna win the most...
  14. Jimbobway

Any one who has a problem with commercial boats dictating tempo at a commercial market needs to sit down and think a little about perspective, and where they fit into that food chain.
  15. chris_lavoie

We call them Otado because thats what the japanese call them, it is the largest of the aku fish and thats all there is to it it's just a big aku, aku is in the tuna family as i think you know the english name is skip jack tuna. Aku boat fishing came from Okenawa Japan when they came to Hawaii they built the first Aku Boats.
    Aloha