Adding A Second Trailer Axel?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Kareem Korn, Dec 14, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Kareem Korn

I want a duel axel trailer, but my funds will not allow it. I was thinking it would be cheaper to just add another axel. It's an alumium trailer. Almost like new. With a bolt on axel. Would the existing axel be centerline. Slide that one back than add another? Anyone else ever do this that can give me some pointers?
  2. rojodiablo

I have built a few trailers, and the balance point is basically where the center of the single axle is. A big part of locating the duals is how much weight total, and how much tongue weight do you want. Too much, you can't deal with it easily and the tow hitch is stressed; too little, you will wallow down the road. A decent figure is about 200-300lb on the tongue for a say 23' boat with dual axles. Less than 200 lb, you will wallow all over. If you have no brakes now, then add an axle with brakes. If you have brakes, then move that axle back, and add a blank axle for the front.

If you have that 20' or that 17' in your bio, then you really don't need a double axle. It will steer slower, and cost you fuel mileage. Good luck with it.
  3. Kareem Korn

Thanks for that information.

The 20' boat is a really deep v and just seems too heavy for the single axel. It inch worms, bounces around and stuff. Not to mention the distance I have to travel to the launch. I just feel safer with duel. Especially if I get a flat.
  4. ConSeaMate

How many leaf springs do you have on it now?.....
  5. Kareem Korn

I'll check when I get home.
  6. Ali Admin

7. rojodiablo

Yeah, some trailers just ride harsher than others for any given weight. A thought, if you go with longer leaves, you get smoother travel, and a bit more of it. If you go shorter, you get stiffer ride, less pronounced wallowing or more like 'floating' as the trailer will return to static ride height quicker over bumps. Sometimes you can get leaves that are a couple inches shorter or longer, depending on application. Also, you might think to put the centerline of the axle back only 1" to 1-1/2". The change in fulcrum will add some weight to the tongue, and mellow out the ride a little.
  8. Gil Marlin

When I bought my 19' aluminum, it trailered poorly and I found I could not pick up the tongue, it was so heavy. I slid the axle forward until I had a couple hundred pounds of weight on the tongue and it trailered like the boat wasn't even there. The boat and trailer aren't setup by experts and are often times packaged by the dealer at the time of sale. Trophys don't weigh that much and probably don't require a double axle. Try adjusting the axle correctly and keep good tires on it, you won't have any problems...
  9. Kareem Korn

Gil, I'm more concerned about safety. The distance I travel, if I get a blow out on a single axle I'm thinking I could loose the boat if it's bad enough. Where as a duel would at least let me limp to a safe place to repair/replace the tire. Here's a pick. I don't even have fricken leaf springs. Seem's like when I'm watching in the mirror, the tires are taking the shock.

Thanks for the leads Ali.
    • Adding A Second Trailer Axel?-1214091959.jpg
  10. drdiesel

Is that axle housing square, or round cuz that might be a torsion axle!
  11. Antares

12. Steel Leader

very easily done, if your trailer is fishtailing, you generally need to push the axle back, rule of thumb, tounge weight= 15% of loaded trailer weight. you would need a long center hanger, rocker assy, shackles, bolts, bushings, leafs, short hanger, u boltsw/ back up plates. Generally if your trailer trails ok, then your current centerline is ok, exsisting wheel would then be center of the two wheels. align w/ center of coupler to axle leaf perch pads. very basic work, it's just dirty and you can't be a sissy.
  13. Steel Leader

after looking a the pic closer, that does look like a torsion axle. even easier and less complicated to install, just more expensive for the axle alone.
  14. Dirtguy

Tongue weight should be 10% of load. Torsional is way eaiser to mount.

gd
  15. Steel Leader

I'ts 10-15% technically, 15% works best for me.

-marcus
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  16. Kareem Korn

Cool, thanks guys for you help. I'm going to get a parts list and price.
  17. Gil Marlin

Have fun... That looks like a nice trailer and I guess I've never worried about having extra wheels in case of a blow out...
  18. Ali Admin

Tim,

I would move the axle first. Might change your whole world.

Put the trailer jack on a bathroom scale. Try to get 200-300# on it by moving the axle.

Dual is nice, but might not be needed as your boat isn't too heavy. Single has it's benefits too like fewer tires to blow or bearings to grenade.

If you do go dual, it will be easy, new axle, tires, hubs and fenders. You're done. Still going to cost you a grand +.

My skiff has a single axle and I love it. I can move the tongue around easy and it tows like a dream.
  19. ALUMINATOR

Tim, If you are within the weight limits of boat and trailer you might think about going up one size on the tires and rims. This might let you put on a heavy duty tire like a Green Ball 8 ply or your choice. Also if you need a tad more weight up front you might be able to move the winch forward a little and just slide the boat forward a little on the trailer.

If you must have another axle it might be worth a call to the manufacture to get some info.

There are thousands of single trailers running the roads, just keep good rubber on it!!!
  20. Kareem Korn

Ok, Great ideas Ali and Dennis. I'm going with bigger beefer tires and adjusting the axel.