8' Bait stick question

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by dbar, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dbar

Ok heres the deal. I'm going to have SaltyDog rap me a rod. I want to go with an 8' rod, to put my MXJ loaded with 25# test on it. I have looked at seeker and calstar blanks. What would be the best 8' blank to pair this reel up with? I bought a Big 5 cheep 8' rod to see if I like 8'ers as Iam used to 7'ers. I like haveing the extra leverage so I'm going to have a nice one built, just would like to hear from you guys on what your 8' baits sticks are and how you like them.

The big 5 rod will still get used as a Hoe stick, for some of my buddy's that dont have any rods of there own.
  2. Rooster1264

3. Derfsondeck

6480 for #30.SS 270-H for #25.
  4. Mstonefish

800ML......................Bill is wrapping one for me right now, you are welcome to pull on it and see if you like the action. Perfect #25 stick
  5. Dos Locos

800XL if you like a fast action bait stick to 30#
  6. dbar

Correct me if I'm wrong, fast action means that the tip will taper real quik. leaveing the most of the butt end without bend while the tip bends alot?
  7. YANK N CRANK #2

Calstar 800L or 270-8...
  8. yknot

270-8H Seeker or Calstar. Go to your local tackle store and pull on them and see which you like. I built mind with a Calstar blank but I actually like Seeker because they have a softer tip than Calstar.
  9. marlyn

10. tackle junkie

One more vote for the 270H-8, the blank # is CLB806H.