8/8 South 209 No Fish, Great Water, Great Weather

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by tunark, Aug 8, 2009.

Share This Page

1. tunark

Launched from Oside , went to south 209, found nice sized paddie 5 miles from 209 that apparently had fish on it but the guy that was there when I got there decided to park on the paddy when I threw my bait in the water:Death_To_Above:

Decided to leave paddy when he did that. Started metering fish and began trolling to the point but no love.

Found other paddies but nobody home.

Water really laid down and no wind.

Found 74 degree water just east of 209 heading south. We stayed in that water and looked for paddies. We found several big ones with nobody home.
    Water was great, water temp was great, weather was great, fishing non existent.

It was still relaxing so I can't complain plus no fish to clean.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. jeffdalton

You and I have a different idea of a great day on the water, but I certainly appreciate the report. It's good to hear the water temps are holding and the conditions are improving.

Thanks again for reporting.
  3. Infamous

sounds like a good day of fishing, just not much on the catching side. Thanks the report.
  4. fishincowboy

We were out there in working the same area ! 209,277,267 triange for the same results! Found some huge paddies with no one home or tons of bait fish. Tried to bait one feeder but no luck there. 110 miles for no fish.
    Worked our way back up the coast. Flats were dead. Izors dead. A few nice sized cudas off the shoe to keep the skunk off the boat!
    Never give up! Next week with the bright moon gone may be better.

Gary's Custom Saddlery & Silver
    Fishing belt buckles can be made!
    http://www.garyscustomsaddleryandsilver.com < Custom saddles, carved leather & exotic belts, and solid sterling silver & gold belt buckles
    Gary's Belt Buckles
    http://www.garysbeltbuckles.com < Award & Trophy Buckles
  5. Bottom Line

We were out SW of the 182 for nada yesterday also...

Why would you think it's OK to pull up on an occupied paddy? Not trying to start crap...just wondering what motivates folks to do this.
  6. fishincowboy

I've always heard paddie etiquette is "to ask" if you can join in on the paddie. That is if it's big enough for more than one boater. We did.

Gary's Custom Saddlery & Silver
    Fishing belt buckles can be made!
    http://www.garyscustomsaddleryandsilver.com < Custom saddles, carved leather & exotic belts, and solid sterling silver & gold belt buckles
    Gary's Belt Buckles
    http://www.garysbeltbuckles.com < Award & Trophy Buckles
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  7. tunark

My experience is when you put a boat on the Paddie it kills the bite. I have seen this time and again.

I remember a few years back I was on a Paddie with about 3 or 4 other boats. All of us basically stayed away from the Paddie while all of us were pulling fish out of it. Then some jerk comes out of nowhere and parks on the Paddie, throws bait in the water, stays for about 5 minutes because nothing was being caught by them, and then moves on. All the boats that had been farming that Paddie all of a sudden stopped catching fish. We all left the Paddie.

I don't think that was a coincidence.

Yesterday, I did ask the guy if I could slip in and I thought I heard him say OK. I parked the boat about 60 ft off the up wind side of the Paddie, placed some bait on the hook, cast it towards the Paddie. Then the other boat moved right up to the downwind side of the Paddie so that the boat was touching the Paddie. There were about 4 or 5 people all standing with lines in the water staring on top of the Paddie.

Maybe he didn't want me to catch the fish they were all looking at. Don't know.

I only ask to move in as a courtesy. Even if I hear nothing I will still move in. I always allow others to move in if they ask me but also expect them to move in no matter what I say. It's almost the same thing as when your passing in front of someone and you say excuse me, your still going to pass in front of that person no matter what.

The Paddie yesterday was one of those big and healthy looking ones, real beefy. I would say 30 feet in diameter. It was plenty big.

Anyway, don't park on Paddies, that's my rule.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009