60 mile bank?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by slayeroffshore, May 1, 2006.

1. slayeroffshore

Has anyone ever bottom fished it?
  2. Neveslaw

The 60 is always good for bottom fish but its open to commercial fishing the last time I was out there. Can get nasty in a hurry.
  3. slayeroffshore

any lings what was the depth?
  4. Rockcod

Is the 60 a Cow Cod conservation area? I'm not sure that it is or not, but you better check.
  5. slayeroffshore

where did you hear that cod man
  6. Rockcod

This is what I found

From the Sac web-site...
    I mentioned the late 1990’s as a turning point, and the birth of the MPA controversy coincided with the recognition of the declines of several rockfish stocks on the west coast. As a result of those declines, the PFMC reduced the sport and commercial quotas, using accepted management tools, in most cases over the loud opposition of the affected recreational and commercial fishing interests. The PFMC even utilized the MPA tool, closing a 4,400 square mile area off the Southern California coast to all rockfish take, to protect the overfished cow cod rockfish. While the fishermen were upset, they agreed to go along with the action because there was good scientific information justifying the closure. This MPA, called the cow cod conservation area, still allowed fishing on the surface for highly migratory species, while completely protecting all rock fish species.

also...
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/cowcod.pdf

and...
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/cowcod2.pdf

lats & longs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=763 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=601><FORM name=myca action=http://my.ca.gov/state/portal/myca_search_results.jsp method=get target=_blank><TABLE width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]
    Cowcod Conservation Areas (CCAs) for recreational fisheries means waters which are 20 fathoms in depth and deeper within each of the following two areas. Area 1 is an area south of Point Conception that is bound by straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
    • 33°50' N. lat., 119°30' W. long.;
    • 33°50' N. lat., 118°50' W. long.;
    • 32°20' N. lat., 118°50' W. long.;
    • 32°20' N. lat., 119°37' W. long.;
    • 33°00' N. lat., 119°37' W. long.;
    • 33°00' N. lat., 119°53' W. long.;
    • 33°33' N. lat., 119°53' W. long.;
    • 33°33' N. lat., 119°30' W. long.;
    • 33°50' N. lat., 119°30' W. long.;
    and Area 2 is a smaller area west of San Diego that is bound by straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
    • 32°42' N. lat., 118°02' W. long.;
    • 32°42' N. lat., 117°50' W. long.;
    • 32°36' 42" N. lat., 117°50' W. long.;
    • 32°30' N. lat., 117°53'30" W. long.;
    • 32°30' N. lat., 118°02' W. long.;
    • 32°42' N. lat., 118°02' W. long.
    At no time may rockfish, lingcod, and associated species (limited to cabezon, greenlings of the genus Hexagrammos, California scorpionfish, California sheephead, and ocean whitefish) be taken or possessed while fishing in waters 20 fathoms or greater in depth as described by general depth contour lines in the Cowcod Conservation Areas (see Section 27.83 for restrictions on fishing gear within the Cowcod Conservation Areas). [/SIZE][/FONT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END CONTENT AREA --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END RIGHT HAND COLUMN FOR 2 COLUMN LAYOUT --></TD></TR><!-- BACK TO TOP --><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=3 height=20>

</TD></TR></FORM></TBODY></TABLE>
  7. Hithard

Very thorough.