5-day trip to Guadalupe Island

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range Fishing' started by nicodemus, Apr 10, 2012.

1. nicodemus

Hi - I'm new here. Usually fish Alaska, but have a hankering to catch some tuna. I'm looking at a shorter long range trip out of San Diego, maybe to Guadalupe Island. I'm wondering what might be the best time for these (early November is open with my current schedule). I really want tuna, any size, but would be interested to know what other species are most likely to be caught. Appreciate any feedback and info forum members can provide.

-Nick
  2. Chasntuna

Unlikely to get a shorter Lupe trip in november, or even October. Late summer, early fall is when the longer trips start. August is a great time for Lupe; 5 or 6 day. Tuna to 80 pounds, likely an offshore hit on some school YFT or BFT plus a bonus add if you hit Cedros. WELCOME!
  3. 2MAYEtoes

There was an AWESOME 5 day last fall on the Vagabond. I'm sure someone has the link. Good times!
  4. Derfsondeck

5. Derfsondeck

Thats pretty funny Cristin great minds think alike!
  6. nicodemus

Wow, you guys don't mess around with quick replies! Helluva report there, Derf. A guy I did some bay fishing with in SD recommended the Searcher. They have shorter trips and have a 5-day trip to Guadalupe the beginning of November, so that's what I was thinking about. My work schedule (let alone pocketbook) don't fit with much earlier in the Fall. I know the bigger fish and longer trips tend to come later in the year, so was sort of wondering if Nov might be even better at 'lupe than the earlier fall trips. In the end it all boils down to when I CAN go, but it's nice to get feedback and hear reports. I grew up in SD and always wanted to do a tuna trip, but could never make it happen. Now I'm an old fart and it's time to live some of those old dreams.

Appreciate all the replies.
  7. nicodemus

Hey Derf, just looked up the Vagabond... they leave the day I head back to AK for work! Dangit! Timing is everything....
  8. Derfsondeck

Aye!Have u checked the Searcher schedule?
  9. nicodemus

Yep, they have a 5-day Guadalupe trip Nov 3-8...
  10. Bill Theroux

All the boats fish the same area at Guadalupe. The trick is finding the most comfortable boat and crew. The Searcher, Royal Star, Polaris (royal and supreme) are great rides with spectacular meals. The trick with lupe is the video Camera to film the great whites, trust me, you will be amazed at the size and appetite. If you can save up a little more go longer and fish Alijos, no sharks!!!!