22.5ft Complete restoration...

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat' started by tamezjos, Sep 9, 2008.

Share This Page

1. tamezjos

Hey guys, I've been working on my boat for the last 16 months... I've been so busy that i have put off starting my thread for the longest time. I will update the thread as fast as I can so I can bring it up to where I am currently. I have thousands of photos, I'll try to post the most relevant to show the progress. If you would like to see more detail on something, just ask.

Here goes.... I bought this 1980 cuddy cabin in back in 2001... Not knowing what I was getting my self into, being this my first boat, I thought I'll have this puppy ready in no-time... Boy was I wrong.... When I purchased the boat I bought a ton of books about boat construction, fiberglass repair, the works. The boat had no floor when I bough it, and the liner was soft, as the main foam compartments (flotation) had water in them. I cut big holes in them (16"x48"), and took out about 15 gallons of water. Dried everything and glassed everything up. It took me about 6 weeks to complete. I thought this was the biggest thing repair-wise. I was wrong. Back in that time I ran out of money and stopped the project.

In 2007 I decided to buy a new boat, but that didn't happen, I was so excited about getting a boat that I decided I would continue with the old project. So in May 8 2007 I started this endeavor. I have not worked so hard for a personal project, or for so long as this one. I hope you enjoy it.

First step: Rebuild the Trailer, basically replaced everything but the main-frame which was reinforced with plates as it was needed. Used Tiedown's Vented Rotor Disc Brake Kit. Trailer had no VIN, so it was taken to DMV to receive its number.

I will update this thread, projects to follow:
    (* fiberglass work, most times I built a mold for each item. All fiberglass work was finished with gelcoat. ALL THIS PROJECTS ARE ALREADY DONE)

*Wood Deck
    *6 person Pilot House, 4 person bench, capt/mate seat combo,
    *Walk-around pilot house extensions (I call this "gunners")
    *Stringer reinforced hull
    *Engine supports/compartment
    *Transom repair - rot transom
    *Swim platform with 60gal bait tank
    *Swim platform heavy duty supports/braces
    *Engine Cover w/insulation
    *New "lighter deck" with fish boxes
    *Instrument panel (new instruments)
    New Controls
    New Steering
    New electrical wiring
    Rails: Bow, hand
    Electronics: Running/Anchor/spreader/spot Lights, VHF 1, VHF 2, stereo, bilge pumps, bait pump, horn, GPS/sounder/chart plotter
    Trim tabs reconditioning and new sensors
    Floscan
    Aluminum gas tank reconditioning / pressure test / coal-tar
    Addtional gas tank installation / *brackets (supports)
    Rod holders (15)
    Outriggers
    Windlass
    Repower: 350 MAG MPI
    Antifouling Paint removal, re-gelcoating entire hull.
    Refinishing hull sides with dark-blue gelcoat.

All of this has been done in my house. The trailer was done at my warehouse, I recycle explanded plastic. No contractor. Just me and my good friend George. Only the engine was installed at AMS. Other than that just plain and simple TLC.

Josh
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-001.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-002.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-003.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-004.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-005.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-006.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-007.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-008.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-009.jpg
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-010.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-011.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-012.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-013.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-014.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-015.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-016.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-017.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-018.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-019.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-020.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-021.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-022.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-023.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-024.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-025.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-026.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-027.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-028.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-029.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-030.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-031.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-032.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-033.JPG
    • 22.5ft Complete restoration...-034.JPG
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. calicopro

You brought that trailer back from the dead :beerbang:
  3. SeaHawk IV

Very nice restoration. Time to get it wet.
  4. marlyn

now lets see the boat!nice job on the trailer...
  5. 5150dude

That's all it takes... Time and money.
    Great job. Keep at it!
  6. Weazel

Do yourself a favor and inspect every detail of the repower before you put the boat into the water.
  7. Outlawman

Josh, nice job breathing new life into the old trailer. May I ask how many hours and $ out of pocket the project took to do?
  8. dorn697

Wow that is unreal, nice job, its amazing how many people overlook there trailers and how important it is to keep them in good shape...I just got done putting a new axle and hubs on mine it was a lot of work but its worth it. Only wish I could have worked on the trailer while the boat was off of it.
  9. Little Tiburon

10. T BICKLE

wow! cant wait to see pics of the boat
  11. mongo75

Damn bro- great job! I did the same thing to a 22' trailer I had, but made it into a 28' trailer. I can appreciate all the friggin grinding dust, weld burns, blood and sweat that goes into that kinda project. Now you definitely got peace of mind rolling down the road. And keep pluggin away at your project, it'll get there. Trust me, you're not the only guy otu there with more drive and ambition that money- do a search for the Savannah II (on check out my boat) and you'll see what I mean. Keep going!!

David, when I did mine with new everything (rims too) except the frame and axles, plus about 10' of 3x3 .25" sq tube and 20' of u channel, it cost me right under a grand.
  12. v8turbo

Wow, Great job. How much was a new trailer?
  13. tamezjos

Thanks guys.... David, the cost of materials including lights, cable, rollers, etc came to about $1200. Hours wise is another story, I don't have a specific hour count per/project but a guesstimation would be around 150 hours. As I said I have workers on the plastic-recycle plant, so the cost of labor for the trailer was absorbed by my business, didn't come off my pocket. The plant is in Tijuana, Mexico and labor there is cheap, about 3 dollars per hour, so there you have it.

Mark, a new trailer would probably cost me more than $1200, and I would have missed all the fun of grinding metal ;) .... although my grinding was really done on my fiberglass work, more on that later.

Josh
  14. Kingfish

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  15. ConSeaMate

Please wear your Saftey Glasses when you use the grinder....Great Job on the Trailer!
  16. mongo75

Safety glasses are for sissys!! Why do you think we got two eyes? One's a backup! LOL
  17. ConSeaMate

Was the Saftey guy at work for the last 10 years.......I'm a trained professional and I spot infractions in a heartbeat!.....[​IMG].....I always had to take the wounded to urgent care....
  18. Saluki

Outstanding job on the trailer................ I'll say a prayer for you in regards to your engine work.
  19. tamezjos

Bob, is AMS bad? You had a bad xperience with them???
  20. tamezjos

On the first set of pictures there was a couple of pictures showing different angles of the boat.

35.JPG
    [​IMG]

You can see the original layout, there is a 2 burner stove inside the cabin on the left, below it there is a refriginator. On the right there is a toilet. Original steering wheel and controls.
    [​IMG] 36.JPG

I did not wanted to use precious space for toilet and galley so they were removed.
    37.JPG
    38.JPG
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Toilet area:
    [​IMG] 39.JPG

Some of the stuff comming out... what a mess....
    [​IMG] 40.JPG

When I brought the boat to my house (from my warehouse) the boat looked like this. You can see the sides of the "pilot-house-to-be" were cut, and the height was raised on the back part. Compare this picture to the first. Also compare the 2nd picture of the first set of pictures to this picture to see the diference. The helm was moved forward because the toilet was taken out, this was done to make room for a bigger pilot house.
    [​IMG][​IMG] 41.JPG
    42.JPG

With the boat in my backyard I could now work on the pilot house. The sides of the pilot house were put up first.
    [​IMG] 43.JPG
    44.JPG
    [​IMG]
    The deck was 3/4" plywood fiberglassed on both sides with 1708 biaxial and ISO resin. By the way, I used ISO resin for all the project; if you look at the spec sheet of ISO and Epoxy, the added benefit of Epoxy (about 5% better overall) is not worth the price in my book. You are entitled to your own opinion.
    [​IMG] 45.JPG

Weather man said rain... got to cover the ply or it will take forever to dry completly.
    [​IMG] 46.JPG

Structure that will support the deck of the pilot house and all the fatty fishermen, sanded.
    [​IMG] 48.JPG

Same structure, now it is gelcoated.
    [​IMG] 57.JPG

Pilot house side - extension.
    [​IMG] 50.JPG

Cutting the pilot house deck-ply for the hatches.
    [​IMG] 56.JPG

Making a lip for one hatch-cover
    [​IMG][​IMG] 51.JPG
    52.JPG

Fitting the pilot-house deck
    [​IMG] 53.JPG

Gealcoat looks nice thru the hatch-openings
    [​IMG] 54.JPG

Tabbing the deck to the supports.
    [​IMG] 55.JPG

Next was the construction and preparation of the pilot-house roof. Notice the camber. This is the fore roof. One of three parts that would complete the roof.
    [​IMG] 58.JPG

If you're wondering how was this built.... well, first the 1x4 's that were used to give the plywood this "form" were cut with a jigsaw, then they were clamped together, all 4 of them, and they were finished with a planer. Later they were refinished by doing some sanding, now I had for identical supports with the same radius, see next picture.
    [​IMG] 59.JPG

This is the aft roof.
    [​IMG] 60.JPG

Fore and aft roof parts, middle part missing, was installed once the roof was on the pilot house.
    [​IMG] 61.JPG

Both parts of the roof were fiberglassed on the "inside side of the roof" so that I wouldn't have to fiberglass upsidedown. Only one layer of 1.5oz mat was used for this, trying to keep weight down.
    [​IMG] 62.JPG

Aft sides of pilot house were installed first, before the roof.
    [​IMG] 63.JPG
    [​IMG]
    I can't post more pics on this reply.. I'll do another one.

[​IMG]